"All this madness" - now is 0.99 version!

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

DanielHerr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: "All this madness" - 0.9 mod version download link up no

Post by DanielHerr »

Sabratha wrote: Either its not working, or I'm not using it right.

added this to the main_hud.lua file:

Code: Select all

function hud.OnHexClick(hex, button)
hud:GetText("turn_text"):SetText(hex.x .. ", " .. hex.y) --DEBUG
end
Fails to have any effect :/
You don't add the function, you add it to the already existing hud.OnHexClick function at line 406.
danielherr.github.io
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

Sabratha wrote:
Zombo wrote:Is it possible to do something to limit armies straying far away from their respective sphere of action? AH units in Prussia or on the Western front kinda hurt my eyes. I guess that horrors like Bulgarians fighting in Turkey are also allowed without penalties...
I wish there was some penalty for AH fighting in France, Bulgaria fighting in Turkey etc. I believe it would be possible to give them some negative modifier for being on a hex with a specific "original hex owner", but to be honest I have no idea how to go about coding such a script :/
How is that reasonable?

However, I do think we should add a small bonus when a unit is defending its native country.
danielherr.github.io
kirk23
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by kirk23 »

Add this to the main_hud.lua file:

---------------------- ON HEX SELECT -----------------------------

ui.swappedHex = nil

hud:GetText("turn_text"):SetText(hex.x .. ", " .. hex.y)
Attachments
Hex Coordinates selection.jpg
Hex Coordinates selection.jpg (203.68 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi Sabratha, here is the main hud file with the hex coordinates change already done and working. Note this is your own 0.9 Mod file with the hex coordinate change already added and working.

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

OK, when the English landed (disembarked) just 1 infantry near Galipolli , Bulgaria went from a 3-5 black to a 4-6 black. Perhaps if the English landed more infantry the greater the effect on Bulgaria's march to war. Just maybe eliminating the effect of close proximity of Entente units to Bulgaria would help to reduce problems with Bulgaria not entering the war. Have also noticed the negative effect on Bulgaria when Russian ground units landed near Constantinople too.
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo »

How is that reasonable?
There were obvious political reasons why AH would never have fought in France or Prussia, and Bulgarians in Turkey is even more unthinkable

Although it does not solve this issue, I concur that giving a defensive bonus in home ground is a good idea - it shouldn't make the French too strong though
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

DanielHerr wrote:
Sabratha wrote: Either its not working, or I'm not using it right.

added this to the main_hud.lua file:

hud:GetText("turn_text"):SetText(hex.x .. ", " .. hex.y) --DEBUG
end
Fails to have any effect :/
You don't add the function, you add it to the already existing hud.OnHexClick function at line 406.

Thanks, working fine now.

I must say that I've taken your advice and made smallgarrisons disbandable again, with 0 upkeep. Rebalanced incomes to match, I'll see if the balance is ok in the long run.

I've also rebalanced the convoy ststem, limiting MP gain and somewhat decreasing PP gain randomly. Now for bug fixing, testing late war scenarios etc.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

I have decided to completely remove small garrisons from my mod.
danielherr.github.io
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Removing Small Garrisons from the game solves nothing! They are not the problem,the games AI sucks,that is the problem.I designed the small garrison to do one job, and that was to protect your Cities behind the front line,they are your home guard,they were designed to cost nothing,zilch!

I spent weeks creating art,and solving a big problem, of getting your un-gaurded Cities captured in sneak attacks due to fog of war,I ask you who leaves their Cities defenceless in time of war, a fool that's who.Before you go removing the Small Garrison units, try playing the Game as it was when first released,then maybe you will discover that having something protecting your Cities for nothing is a real blessing. :evil:

Also it is absolutely no fun what so ever, spending more than 2 years of your life trying to make a difference, to a game that when was first released was seriously flawed, I mean on the naval side of the game all the major powers had 1 Battleship unit each,it was nuts,total crap in fact.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

It solves a bunch of extremely annoying dots on the minimap, which it seems are not moddable. I would keep them if they didn't appear on the minimap.
danielherr.github.io
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Play the game as it was first released that is all I'm suggesting,you will soon learn to appreciate these small home guard units believe me. :wink:
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Recent news: Added a 1915 spring event, which will make Persian Border hexes in northwest Persia open to other countries. Both sides went thyrough Persian land as they pleased on that front, and I was annoyed at the ahistorical possibility to easily block the caucasus area by using the vanilla Persian border to cover your flank.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

I might just try that Kirk. Will report back.

Sabratha, how did you code that?
danielherr.github.io
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

I played 10 Entente turns, and the game actually isn't that different. The main gameplay differences I noticed are that forces are about doubled, addition of undo, and much slower research time. The AI it seems is actually better than now, at least the Germans in France. They actually retreated from near Paris to a solid defence line near the border after I gathered many infantry and threatened to encircle their attacking force. Small garrisons seem something that would only be necessary to guard against another player's naval invasion.
danielherr.github.io
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi Tim & Szymon,

If you read this, Might I suggest that you contact these 2 active modders, if you are still in need of progressing CTGW further, these guys at least know a bit about working with Lua scripts.(Sabratha) (DanielHerr)

All the best, Kirk.
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

DanielHerr wrote:Small garrisons seem something that would only be necessary to guard against another player's naval invasion.
Or rebellions (I'm adding Wafdist and Senussi rebels) or armored cars in the mideast, or some eastern front hijinks.
DanielHerr wrote:Sabratha, how did you code that?
Actually the most no-nonsense way I could think of was:

function PersianBorder()
  if GetEvent("PersianBorder") == 0 and game.date.year >= 1915 and game.date.month >= 3 then
      local russia = game:GetFactionById(4)
      local turkey = game:GetFactionById(5)
      if russia.alliance.id == 1 and turkey.alliance.id == 2 then	  
      GetHex(154, 47):SetFaction(russia)
      GetHex(153, 47):SetFaction(russia)
      GetHex(152, 48):SetFaction(russia)
      GetHex(151, 48):SetFaction(russia)
      GetHex(151, 47):SetFaction(russia)
      GetHex(150, 48):SetFaction(russia)
      GetHex(154, 48):SetFaction(russia)
      GetHex(153, 48):SetFaction(russia)
      GetHex(152, 49):SetFaction(russia)	  
      GetHex(151, 49):SetFaction(turkey)
      GetHex(151, 50):SetFaction(turkey)
      GetHex(151, 51):SetFaction(turkey)
      SetEvent("PersianBorder", game.turn)
end
end
end

In other news, added Senussi and some cities in Egypt/Libya. Senussi are not going to be a game-changer, they will be half-supplied, start with 2 arab horse units and some smallgarrisons and won't make a big difference unless the CP player manages to brake through with the Turks.

Having said that, while vanilla Sinai front was pretty much unmoveable, in my mod the combination of a good Turkish attack+Senussi+Wafdists... well, the British may have to brake a sweat this time around.

Oh and I did encounter the dreaded naval AI bug finally, here's the log:
[13:36:46][1616]*** Starting naval AI ***
[13:37:18][1616]Too far from the city, no moves
[13:37:21][1616]Too far from the city, no moves
[13:37:21][1616]Too far from the city, no moves
[13:37:31][1616]Resume: false, ai/cost.lua:0: attempt to index field 'originalFaction' (a nil value)
[13:37:31][1616][C]:-1(global error) ai/ai.lua:0: ai/cost.lua:0: attempt to index field 'originalFaction' (a nil value)
Bad news - whatever is causing it, its in the "ai.ai" or "cost.ai" files. Both are not editable with notepad++ or similar and equire hex editing.

Do you guys remember when this bug was introduced? Perhaps if we use the ai.ai and cost.ai files from the previous game version, the bug will not occur?
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

kirk23 wrote:Hi Tim & Szymon,

If you read this, Might I suggest that you contact these 2 active modders, if you are still in need of progressing CTGW further, these guys at least know a bit about working with Lua scripts.(Sabratha) (DanielHerr)

All the best, Kirk.
Thanks. Could relaly enjoy some help, especially with the OriginalHexOwner nonsense :/ Not to mention the ai naval move crash.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I posted a question up at the support desk, because of the very same AI crash to all my games.
Resume: false, ai/cost.lua:0: attempt to index field 'originalFaction' (a nil value)
[13:37:31][1616][C]:-1(global error) ai/ai.lua:0: ai/cost.lua:0: attempt to index field 'originalFaction' (a nil value)

That was 5 days ago to which I have yet to get a response, and I used to one of the small team who tried to help the game. :roll:
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Well, hope we hear anything, least the dev on the game died entirely, which sadly seems to be the case.

Minor and more optimistic news, am about to decide which Russian flag to use in the mod.
Period propaganda of both sides mostly used teh yellow tsarist flag with the eagle

Not without exceptions however:

So, what do you think?
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

In other news: rebalanced the 1914 scenario start.

1. Germany will be a bit stronger. Playtesting shows a fortress at Mainz may actually serve a purpose.
Russia overall a bit weaker, but more tough troops facing Galicia than East Prussia (opposite of vanilla).
2. Russian mobilization will take longer
3. Kattowitz (city), Toul (fort) and Mainz (fort) added for gameplay purposes. Wilhelmshaven back to being a city instead of a fort.
4. Dijon a fort now.
5. Removing Trondheim port (not city!) due to a convoy bug in later scenarios. (lousy workaround, boit nothing else possible without a map editor)
6. Adding some "national crisis" events which trigger when a country is in dire straits (example for France: Paris being taken, German forces move into the interior of the country). This will slightly lower morale (parts of the elites begin to panic etc), but also spawn some units ("The motherland is in peril!" reaction volunteers etc).
7. After testing various setups of the Belgian army, I've decided to leave the vanilla Belgian forces and locations. Gets the most historical results tbh.
8. Fixing the "garrisons units of various countries at high levels have french graphics" bug from vanilla.
9. Work on the 1917 and 1918 scenarios is put on hold until the vanilla "ai naval crash" bug is resolved. I have a feeling this is something wrong with the map files tbh, as the 1914 map doesn't seem to expirience this. I know for a fact parts of the 1914 map are different from the other scenario maps (for example hexes north of Trondheim are sea in 1914 while they are land in other scenarios).

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”