Autocalc needs to include force more than sum of parts

Sovereignty is a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC. It combines a kingdom management campaign game with a general's level tactical battle game.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Dunadd
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Autocalc needs to include force more than sum of parts

Post by Dunadd »

The autocalc doesn't sufficiently take into account the fact that larger forces should take less casualties fighting smaller forces than they would if all the units involved fought one on one.

An army of 20 units should be able to defeat 5 units with far lower casualties.

It also doesn't seem to choose the unit most appropriate to targeting another unit enough, nor the terrain the battle is taking place in. (Unless i'm misunderstanding how it works, which is very possible).

e.g Cavalry should be able to destroy artillery on plains relatively easily. Elves should do far better fighting in forest provinces.

Will 2.0 be changing any of this?
Dunadd

Re: Autocalc needs to include force more than sum of parts

Post by Dunadd »

Looking at the updates on autocalc in 2.0 i think i was being unfair here - looks like it's excellent. Also i didn't really understand how autocalc worked even in 1.9 until i did the tutorial (hadn't bothered with it when i started playing) and realised Skirmish was the first (archery) phase of autocalc battles rather than just meaning a very small autocalced battle.

Return to “Sovereignty”