Pictures from the Australian Championships 2015

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Tyler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Pictures from the Australian Championships 2015

Post by Tyler » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:46 am

Chariots galore. This year's tournament was themed, with players restricted to armies from the biblical era. Egyptians, Hittites, Hebrews, Medes and Assyrians all took to the field, and most of them brought a lot of chariots.

Light infantry, spending most of the battle being annoying on the flanks of their enemies and hoping that nothing serious notices them.

Armies got awfully colourful back in the days when camouflage wasn't a thing.

Little known historical fact: most of the wars of the Hittite and Assyrian empires were actually fought over severe shortages of beard oil. Source: I'm making it up, but look at those glorious beards!

John Shaw and Glen Noonan looking very serious. From all accounts both were a pleasure to play against, win or lose, and were contenders for the sportsmanship trophy. It had to go to Daniel Karakaltsas, though, who turned up having played less than half a dozen games in his life. He gave it a red hot go, had plenty of enthusiasm, and managed to win half of his games, all with a really positive attitude.

David Inglis has one of those great wargamer "deep thought" faces. It didn't keep his chariots alive, sadly.

Things are looking pretty chaotic in one of the final round games. This was between Richard Gordon and Brett Kvisle. They were the top two players in the final round, battling it out for the trophy, and they assured me they could tell what was going on.

Brett and Richard in the final round, fighting it out for first place.

One of the great pleasures of umpiring a tournament is being able to move around the room and watch all the games. At any given time, someone in the room will have everything going to pieces, their plan on fire and their army disintegrating. If I'm lucky, I can be right there in that moment to giggle. Sure enough, I was there when one of Richard's units broke and ran from combat against a weaker enemy...causing his elite Guardsmen to break and run from a weaker enemy...causing three more units to break and run, in the worst succession of dice rolls I've seen in months.

So the out of state challenger Brett, on the left, won in the end. Congrats to him, and well played on four wins in a row!

One last shot of some pretty chariots.

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Pictures from the Australian Championships 2015

Post by philqw78 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:13 am

Nice
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

Return to “Tournaments & Opponents”