Training Video of a FOG game between 2 experts?

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Waylander
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Training Video of a FOG game between 2 experts?

Post by Waylander »

Hi guys has anyone thought of producing a video recording of a training game between two good players which could be viewed on line. Both players explaing what they are doing as the game progresses. This would help numpties like me that have nobody with any experience of FOG nearby. Rule book arrived last week, looks good although makes heavy reading :?:
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

It has been considered although I suspect that a battlefront style blow by blow AAR might be a better aid.

It is harder than you might think to get a professional looking video of a wargame in progress.

If I had some nice mathced pairs of armies I might even do one myself but while I have about 30 15mm ancients armies I don't actually have many pairs. I suspect that once Swords and Scimitars is out I can do a Crusader and Arab pair which might well make a good introductory game.
lpgamble
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lpgamble »

I'd buy that for a dollar :p

What about some of the Tournament Refs with a camcorder recording some rules questions and some of the regular bounds.
shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall »

I am happy to video a game between Terry and I if sucha video nasty is desirable. We could then talk through plans an the moves beign made each time.

Not hard to do.

Si
Simon Hall
"May your dice roll 6s (unless ye be poor)"
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

The horror :shock:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
nicofig
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nicofig »

shall wrote:I am happy to video a game between Terry and I if sucha video nasty is desirable. We could then talk through plans an the moves beign made each time.

Not hard to do.

Si
Yes Simon, it would be nice. :D
ImageImage
neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by neilhammond »

shall wrote:I am happy to video a game between Terry and I if sucha video nasty is desirable. We could then talk through plans an the moves beign made each time.
I thought that Mr Porter has already attempted that and presented it on his Godendang Report on his madaxeman site. :)
verybizzyb
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by verybizzyb »

It's certainly no odds to me but if I required a video of a wargame to understand the rules then I'd probably think they weren't really the rules for me... :(
madcam2us

Post by madcam2us »

bump this....

Still waiting said video between Si and Terry.....

Will it include cheesy music?

In all seriousness.. I'd like to see this come about...

Madcam.
Landsknecht
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Landsknecht »

I would really like to see a video of the game played. There are no other folks around here that play Ancients, but me. I'm studying the rules to start demonstrations at the local gaming stores. A video would be alot of help.
carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos »

Please be liberal w/ the editing, otherwise it's a 3 hour epic of lead being pushed around the table, dice-rolling and... people thinking. And not photogenic people.
Redpossum
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Redpossum »

hammy wrote:It has been considered although I suspect that a battlefront style blow by blow AAR might be a better aid.

It is harder than you might think to get a professional looking video of a wargame in progress.

If I had some nice mathced pairs of armies I might even do one myself but while I have about 30 15mm ancients armies I don't actually have many pairs. I suspect that once Swords and Scimitars is out I can do a Crusader and Arab pair which might well make a good introductory game.
So make one up! If all you're doing is playing right hand against left hand to demonstrate the rules and introduce concepts, who cares if the armies are from official lists?

Just throw together a couple of colorful and halfway credible armies and go for it :)
rogerg
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by rogerg »

It doesn't have to be a full game necessarily. Three or four BG of knights charging some longbowmen perhaps. Arrange to have one BG miss getting the stakes down. Have a couple of odd angles to have a conforming issue. A BG giving rear support, perhaps a commander being hit.
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

I think that rather than a video a blow by blow account with lots of still pictures might be more useful.

I am not sure if I can put together something like that. There are lots of things on my to do list and I suspect that it would take most of a day to do this.

Return to “Rules Questions”