Need Help!

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Need Help!

Post by captkiwi »

Bought the game as a Christmas present to myself and really enjoying it...but...I am having problems with the Midway scenario. Can someone give me a clue as to how to defeat the Japanese to obtain the objectives required? I can defend Midway Island but finding the Japanese fleet and destroying 2 aircraft carriers are a major problem for me. Any hints for a newbie?
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Need Help!

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Step one: hunt the transports. They're in the south. I send everything except a few (3-4) fighters down there. The fighters are needed to guard your other stuff.

Step two: bring planes back and drive the Japs away from your carriers. Shhot at destroyers and other weak stuff to get the kill xyz other ships bonus.

Step three: Send all attack squads to the west, where his carriers will appear (I'm fairlysure there was a turn delay). Prepare to take some casualties, but you won't lose more than one or two units if careful.

Step four: Press continue on victory screen

Step five: DON'T ATTACK AT GUADALCANAL - EVER! (I know that this isn't part of Midway, but the incentives for attacking at Guadalcanal aren't really worth it in my opinion)

Of course you are free to try other strategies (especially the Guadalcanal one), but these worked well for me.
Also, the carriers have lots of planes on them. I didn't notice this for 3 turns and so want you to see it. So I put it in a quote box so it WILL be seen.
- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
Shireshio
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Shireshio »

Quick tip: You should really send your strike aircraft first to recon the area.. Then go for it.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

I just finished Midway, on middle difficulty. These guys ^^^ have it right. I would only add my caution NOT to go sailing off into the west right away; the Japanese have a strong warship fleet that will punch through your screen of cruisers and get at your carriers if you end up in the midst of them. Instead (SPOILER ALERT):

1. Attend to the invasion fleet first. Send bombers and torpedo planes only; that fleet is a sitting duck with no fighter protection. Wipe it out.
2. Bring your bombers and torpedo planes back to Midway and the carriers while scrambling your fighters. You are going to need them soon.
3. Inch your carriers closer to your (AI-controlled) destroyer screen. Those guys do a good job of submarine patrol (and there are a couple of enemy subs out there).
4. Defend your carriers against the Japanese planes that come hunting for them.
5. At the same time, launch your refreshed bombers and torpedo planes to the west. Now is the time.
6. You will find the Japanese carriers out there; at least four if not five.
7. Concentrate on the carriers! You need to sink at least two to win the scenario; more will help you later in the campaign.
8. At some point, when the battle is going your way and most if not all Japanese planes are downed, bring your carriers back to Midway for repair and release your cruisers to chase down the remnants of the enemy fleet.

That's how it went down for me, at least.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”