Commanders and how they work

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

canuckgamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Commanders and how they work

Post by canuckgamer »

In some question and answers I have, it says that the highest leadership value leader commands. For example if there is a 7 and 5 the 7 commands. I quess the 5 does nothing? In the manual it mentions that all units within the leadership range of the commander have their effectiveness increased. However I have been unable to find what the leadership range is. On the production screen for a commander there is no mention of leadership range either. Also, when you access a leader (right click) that is with a unit, the only number that comes up is "quality". I assume that quality is the same as its leadership value? Thanks.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

The range of all leaders is 8. This range also works across the sea. When you have several leaders within range then only the best will increase your efficiency.
snoopy66877
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by snoopy66877 »

What is meant by "efficiency"? The effectiveness of the unit? The quality of the unit? How is the attribute effected? I assume it is increased, but by what? The value of the leadership rating?
afk_nero

Commanding allied nations

Post by afk_nero »

Can an allied commander provide bonuses to other allied nations.

For example can a French general provide a command benefit to British troops if the only general within the 8 Hex range.

Do commanders provide benefits on a Axis or Allied bases as opposed to per Nation.
afk_nero

Commanding allied nations

Post by afk_nero »

Can an allied commander provide bonuses to other allied nations.

For example can a French general provide a command benefit to British troops if the only general within the 8 Hex range.

Do commanders provide benefits on a Axis or Allied bases as opposed to per Nation.
firepowerjohan
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by firepowerjohan »

Commanders provide support on a national basis so you cannot have German leaders commanding Italians as an example.

Effectiveness - is how many of your soldiers that are battle ready and will shoot instead of just sticking the head in the sand. A unit with strength 10 and effectiveness 0 will be totally harmless not inflicting any damage.

Quality - is mental toughness of a unit, high quality means it wont break as easily i.e. it will take casualties and still maintain high effectiveness also meaning it will not retreat as quickly

Survivability - is how well protected a unit is, a vehicle with thick armour or a infantry man training in warfare will be better seeking cover and suffer less damage

Experience - Will increase quality and survivability
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
syagrius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by syagrius »

When playing the Axis I am always hesitating: would love to recruit Manstein as he is so effective but also so expensive! The Commander concept is one of the best feature of the game.
dmbgamer
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by dmbgamer »

Is "efficiency" measured separately or is it simply reflected in an increase in effectiveness of a unit?
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

dmbgamer wrote:Is "efficiency" measured separately or is it simply reflected in an increase in effectiveness of a unit?
Efficiency and Effectiveness is same thing in game.
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
Dragonflame
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Dragonflame »

Ivan66 wrote:What is meant by "efficiency"? The effectiveness of the unit? The quality of the unit? How is the attribute effected? I assume it is increased, but by what? The value of the leadership rating?
We learned that efficieny=effectiveness.
But I still wonder how the leadership rating influences the effectiveness? Is the value of the leadership rating simply added to the effectiveness of the affected units? This would not be very good, right?
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

Max effectieveness increases by Leadership*2.

A unit without leader having a maxeff 60 and then gets Manstein leadership 8 means it now has maxeff 76
Dragonflame

Post by Dragonflame »

Thank you for this very quick answer! :)
Since you mentioned max. effectiveness: Is it possible to have 100% eff. or even more?
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

Nothing in the game prevents it. I do not have all the numbers in front of me so I do not know the max level with the current patched version.
ErichVonNeu
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by ErichVonNeu »

Are commanders really worth the investment compared to the troops you could buy instead? I managed to conquer england and beat russia (against AI) without the use of commanders.

I will, however, try using commanders in my next campaign game.

A question for all: When do you buy your first commanders?
vypuero
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by vypuero »

use Manstein! He is well worth the money he gives every unit within 8 hexes +16 maximum efficiency. You can get some very effective germans that way. Plus they recover faster. On top of it he gives the +1 attack - but never stick him in harms way - use him when you have enough units to protect his flanks completely
syagrius

Post by syagrius »

Yeah, Manstein is hot on the offensive, as well as Rommel and Guderian. I like to have Kesselring in Normandy as it is a more defensive front, he has a nice defensive bonus.
ErichVonNeu

Post by ErichVonNeu »

I just tried a game using commanders and I can only agree with your comments. I used Rommel (AG North), guderian (AG Center) and Rundstedt (AG South) on the Eastern front, there was no western front left after Rommel led the attack on England... ;). I later assigned Manstein to conquer Perm. The commanders made a huge difference and I will always use them from now on.

I have a question though, I assigned most of my commanders to Panzer units accept for Rundstedt who got a Mech Inf Unit. What units do you usually assign your commanders to?

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”