_[FDB] Combat resolved too quickly . . .

Forum for reporting bugs

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

_[FDB] Combat resolved too quickly . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

The combat resolution for units already in contact with each other happens far too quickly for me to follow. It is a bit like watching a game of pinball. Is there anyway to slow this down at all. I have looked in the "Preferences" section and can see sliders for "Animation Speed", "Post Static Act Waiting Time" (whatever that is?), "Post Anim Act Waiting Time" and then three other sliders for "Replays". Which are the optimum settings to slow the combat resolution down please?
voskarp
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: [QST] Combat resolved too quickly . . .

Post by voskarp »

I agree with this, even 10 cups of coffee won't help with keeping up... :)
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Re: _[QST] Combat resolved too quickly . . .

Post by cothyso »

All of them were added into the preferences exactly to control the speed of the combat and have it set after each own's preference.

Experiment with them until you're satisfied with the result:
- animation speed controls the speed of moving/charging animation
- post anim act waiting time controls the amount of pause time after finishing a moving/charging animation, before starting the associated impact combat or before triggering the next action
- post static act waiting time controls the amount of pause time after a melee/impact combat before triggering the next action
Jonathan4290
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Jonathan4290 »

I think perhaps the issue may be that they occur at the same time whereas in the old FOG you would see one unit's result and then the other unit's result.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
Praeter
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Praeter »

I found with some tinkering you could slow them down to an acceptable speed.

Looking forward to the official FOG 2 release soon! Any news from anyone yet?
voskarp

Post by voskarp »

Since the results show up at the same time and disrupted/fragmented show up very shortly after, it's too tight (IMO) even with the after action wait time on max.

Also it's too bad the sounds are cut short. I preferred as it was in the original game, with the sounds playing all way through. (I even find the overlapping of sound effects good, seems natural to me.)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Jonathan4290 wrote:I think perhaps the issue may be that they occur at the same time whereas in the old FOG you would see one unit's result and then the other unit's result.

Yes, this is the point. I still cannot follow what is happening when combat results are decided for units that have made contact in a previous turn. New contacts are easy enough to follow. This does detract from the enjoyment of the game quite considerably.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

The delayed cohesion modification indicator is on my TODO list. I'll add a look at the combat sounds to see what's going on in there (as there should be no cut-offs of any sounds).

The wait times are all defines, if anybody feels they are not enough, the MIN and MAX values can be modified, you know?

Also, if the automatic close combat at the end of a turn is too much for anybody, it can be set on manual. This way, all the BGs will have to have their melee combats manually resolved otherwise the player can not end his current turn phase.
voskarp

Post by voskarp »

I think the flow of the original game is very nice and enjoyable to watch. (The clash/melee occurs [sound and flash], defender takes damage, attacker takes damage, [or was it the other way around?].)
voskarp

Post by voskarp »

This is still a problem. Especially when a unit is routed or evades and flies away like an arrow, leaving a resulting chain reaction of events that even a 14-year old on red bull couldn't follow. (No, fiddling with the controls in the preferences doesn't help...)
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

voskarp wrote:This is still a problem. Especially when a unit is routed or evades and flies away like an arrow, leaving a resulting chain reaction of events that even a 14-year old on red bull couldn't follow. (No, fiddling with the controls in the preferences doesn't help...)
Agreed 100%. In old version, it showed one result at a time and much more slowly and no one ever mentioned an issue.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

FoG(U) has an engine setting for the way it plays the en-queued actions, which means it can easily be switched from playing parallel actions at the same time, or one at a time, in the order of their registering.

A routed or evading unit has its moving animation speed still controlled by the animation speed modifiers, so the evading movement speed is the same as the normal movement speed. And it can be slowed to a crawl from the settings. So, what is exactly this problem with the evade you are talking about, please?

PS: I've tried to reformulate this post, to make it more clear
voskarp

Post by voskarp »

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Dan, I am getting a bit confused by this discussion now - I am not sure what "en-queued" actions actually refers to. At the top of the thread i was talking about "the combat resolution for units already in contact with each other" that happens at the end of each player turn once the battle is underway and the two armies are in contact with each other. I still have found no way to slow these down at all so perhaps the default setting for these actions in the game should be "very slow" so players can follow what is happening. If players want to speed them up then they should be able to as well. This is a gamebreaker for me at the moment (and not just me either).
Geordietaf
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Geordietaf »

Hello Pete. Good to reply to you after so long. I agree with your comments about the speed of combat resolutions, except that I am so pleased with the new version that it isn't a 'gamebreaker' for me. You are right however that the lightning speed of events, particularly where a rout sets off a chain reaction, is just too quick to follow. I also find that the game view does not follow events as they happen, so I find myself whizzing about the battlefield trying to find out where all the shouts of triumph and groans of despair are coming from.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

cothyso wrote:All of them were added into the preferences exactly to control the speed of the combat and have it set after each own's preference.

Experiment with them until you're satisfied with the result:
- animation speed controls the speed of moving/charging animation
- post anim act waiting time controls the amount of pause time after finishing a moving/charging animation, before starting the associated impact combat or before triggering the next action
- post static act waiting time controls the amount of pause time after a melee/impact combat before triggering the next action
I don't know which settings you have set for these three defines, and it might happen that you have some old fast values written in your prefs.
So please go an check your FoG(U) settings and confirm in here that:
1) you have the Animation Speed slider dragged all the way to the left, towards the Slow value -> this setting is controlling all the movement animation's speed
2) you have the Post Static Act. Wait Time slider dragged all the way to the right, towards the Long value -> this setting is controlling the wait time after a melee combat, before triggering the next action. this setting is responsible for the amount of time passing between two sequential action from the automatic combat phase
3) you have the Post Anim. Act. Wait Time slider dragged all the way to the right, towards the Long value -> this setting is controlling the wait time between the end of a charge movement and the start of the subsequent impact combat

The latest FoG(U) revisions, including the latest beta build you have, have these values with their defaults set so that everything's happening really really slow (ie animation speed on max slow, post static act. wait time and post anim. act. wait time both set on max long).
stockwellpete wrote:Dan, I am getting a bit confused by this discussion now - I am not sure what "en-queued" actions actually refers to. At the top of the thread i was talking about "the combat resolution for units already in contact with each other" that happens at the end of each player turn once the battle is underway and the two armies are in contact with each other. I still have found no way to slow these down at all so perhaps the default setting for these actions in the game should be "very slow" so players can follow what is happening. If players want to speed them up then they should be able to as well. This is a gamebreaker for me at the moment (and not just me either).
En-queued actions are actions triggered while another action is happening. Like for example when you command an unit to charge, any and all resulting evade/pursue actions are en-queued actions. The engine now plays them all at the same time (ie all evade actions are happening at the same time, as in reality on a battlefield), but it can be set to just play a single one at a time (ie the charge, then the first evade, then the second evade, then the pursuit, etc).

Regarding what happens at the end of the turn, ie the automatic combat turn phase, you can:
1) do it entirely manually at your own pace. FoG(U) is not forcing you to close your turn phase without fighting the melee battle in order to have them all played in the automatic combat turn phase. It only offers you the option to, unlike the FoG(RB) which would not let you end your turn phase until you have manually resolved all the melee combats, let these melee battle be carry on automatically in the automatic combat phase
2) you can slow down the action by increasing the time between two consecutive melee combats during the automatic combat phase by increasing the Post Static Act. Wait Time setting to the longest value (dragging the slider all the way to the right towards the Long value)
Geordietaf

Post by Geordietaf »

I'll try these. What about the issue with the screen not following events?

Edit: Checked. All values already set as you suggest. Still far too fast with no pauses between events
voskarp

Post by voskarp »

...but it can be set to just play a single one at a time (ie the charge, then the first evade, then the second evade, then the pursuit, etc).

How do I do that?
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Re: _[FDB] Combat resolved too quickly . . .

Post by cothyso »

(re) Modified for rev1034 (v2.5.00.1034 GM2a build)

Return to “Bug Reports”