LORDS OF HISTORY 6: a century of pikes

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Re: LORDS OF HISTORY 6: a century of pikes

Post by fogman »

Flodden 1513

English (fogman) 59/72 (10.6) vs Scots (batesmotel) 55/52 (8.2)

the scottish left battle was irresistible, dismantling the english infantry and driving off lord dacre's cavalry. the middle battle was caught in the sunken stream and utterly destroyed. the king's battle on the right bent the english line but could not break it. meanwhile lord stanley's flanking force sliced through the highlanders and was closing in on the scottish rear when the scots broke. good game/simulation, as it happened.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Moncontour 1569

Royalists (fogman) 52/78 (10.0) vs Huguenots (jonathan) 75/75 (6.7)
The Huguenots went for an all out attack along the whole front and were overwhelmed by royalist numbers.

Huguenots (fogman) 57/75 (10.0) vs Royalists (batesmotel) 78/78 (7.6)
The reiters on the huguenot right wing, reinforced by many from the cavalry reserve, bested the royal gendarmerie and mauled the royal infantry while the rest of the army conducted a fighting retreat to a more compact defensive position.
LordNytram
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by LordNytram »

I seem to have a defeat and a draw to record:

Flodden 1513 Fogman (Scots) 47/52 9.0 defeats LordNytram (English) 77/72 10.7
Ravenna 1512 Jonathan4290 (French) 90/90 10.0 draws with LordNytram (Spanish) 107/105 10.2
iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith »

Ravenna 1512 , a bloody battle with the Spaniards just holding out long enough
before the French flanking forces made it behind them , great game.

IDS (Spaniards) 95/105 - (9.0) defeats
Batesmotel (French) 90/90 - (10.0)
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Marignano 1515

Swiss (fogman) 40/50 (10.2) vs French (jonathan) 87/85 (8.0)
the swiss main attack stalled in front of the french batteries but the french left surprisingly advanced from its position and was caught in the open.

French (fogman) 78/85 (10.2) vs Swiss (lordnytram) 51/50 (9.2)
the Swiss fought their way into the french batteries despite the sacrifice of the gendarmes but ran out of troops. they had detached a rather large force to attack the french left which abandoned its position and avoided contact.
Jonathan4290
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Jonathan4290 »

Nancy

Jonathan4290 39/48 or (Allies) vs Londo 45/42 (Burgundians)
The Burgundians stood on the high ground and inflicted heavy losses on the pinning frontal attacks by the Allied main force until the Allied pikes rolled up the Burgundian right.

Jonathan4290: 10.7
Londo: 8.1
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Jonathan4290 wrote:Nancy

The Burgundians stood on the high ground and inflicted heavy losses on the pinning frontal attacks by the Allied main force until the Allied pikes rolled up the Burgundian right.

Wait londo was playing burgundians? He's burgundians against me too! I'll have to check this later.
Londo
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Londo »

I am playing Jon in Nancy, but I have the Swiss, and the game is still in progress! (Probably about 2 or 3 turns from the end.)
Londo

Post by Londo »

Moncontour

Londo (Royalists) 48/78 - Batesmotel (Huguenots) 79/75

Londo 10.5
Batesmotel 6.2

This might well be my favourite Fogman scenario of all time! :D It's a really interesting situation - the Huguenots have the better cavalry and the advantage of a central position, the Royalists have better infantry and greater numbers.

In this instance, the Huguenots went all out against the Royalist left, bringing all their cavalry and the Landsknechte across to support the Reiters. But the Catholic gens d'armes managed to hold on - just barely - until the Swiss arrived, and then the Huguenots were caught between the two wings of the Royal army. The central position can have its disadvantages too!

It's interesting that, despite being a battle for the future of France, most of the good troops on both sides were German or Swiss! Presumably both factions had taken a lot of casualties and were running out of quality French troops by that stage?
Londo

Post by Londo »

By the way, Fogman, do you have a recommendation for a good history (in English!) of the French Wars of Religion, that pays detailed attention to strategy, tactics, and army organisation?
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Londo wrote:I am playing Jon in Nancy, but I have the Swiss, and the game is still in progress! (Probably about 2 or 3 turns from the end.)
I think the result posted by jon refers to lordnytram, not you.
Londo wrote:Moncontour

This might well be my favourite Fogman scenario of all time! :D It's a really interesting situation - the Huguenots have the better cavalry and the advantage of a central position, the Royalists have better infantry and greater numbers.
It's interesting that, despite being a battle for the future of France, most of the good troops on both sides were German or Swiss! Presumably both factions had taken a lot of casualties and were running out of quality French troops by that stage?
Moncontour better than Gaugamela?

well the French did not have good infantry. in deeply feudal societies, warfare is the preserve of the nobility, and france had a large nobility, and nobles fight on horseback. good infantry comes from societies with strong urban centres and civic pride and not ruled by great families (like the medicis in italy) as in flanders or a large free peasantry as in Switzerland. the French had become accustomed to hiring infantry, especially in the renaissance, to complement their formidable armoured cavalry. of course by the end of the period their superiority was challenged by the german reiters who were professional (while the gendarmes usually were not). german reiters attacked in columns rather than in lines and thus had a shock advantage.
Londo wrote:By the way, Fogman, do you have a recommendation for a good history (in English!) of the French Wars of Religion, that pays detailed attention to strategy, tactics, and army organisation?
there is nothing I know of the sort in English. the book by woods, which focuses on the royal army, cited in the moncontour scenario threat is the best I can think of.
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

fogman wrote:

Wait londo was playing burgundians? He's burgundians against me too! I'll have to check this later.
Yes that should be LordNytram, sorry about that.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
Londo

Post by Londo »

Flodden

Londo (Scots) 44/52 - Ian (English) 73/72

Londo 10.1
Ian 8.5
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

Flodden

Jonathan4290 (English) 64/72 defeats Iandavidsmith (Scots) 53/52

Jonathan4290: 10.2
Iandavidsmith: 8.9
LordNytram

Post by LordNytram »

Ravenna
LordNytram (French) 65/90 defeats batesmotel (Spaniards) 106/105

LordNytram 10.1
batesmotel 7.2
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

Nancy

Jonathan4290 (Burgundians) 25/42 defeats Londo (Allies) 48/48
The Burgundians turned their guns around to help the knights blast through the rear Allied blocking party. The Burgundians set up on the rear high ground and picked off enough Allied units to win it.

Jonathan4290: 10.0
Londo: 6.0
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

nancy 1477
burgundians (fogman) 36/48 (7.5) vs swiss (iandavidsmith) 28/42 (6.7)
played historically with the burgundians retreating and could not inflict enough damages!

ravenna 1512
french (fogman) 70/90 (10.1) vs spanish (londo) 106/105 (7.8)
dominance in the cavalry fight and an infantry attack in stages were enough.
Londo

Post by Londo »

Ravenna
Londo (French) 60/90 - Jon (Spanish) 105/105
Londo 10, Jon 6.7

Flodden
Londo (English) 64/72 - Nytram (Scots) 52/52
Londo 10, Nytram 8.9

Moncontour
Londo (Huguenots) 61/75 - Nytram (Catholics) 80/78
Londo 10.3, Nytram 8.1

Nancy
Londo (Burgundians) 34/42 - fogman (Swiss) 50/48
Londo 10.4, fogman 8.1
Londo

Post by Londo »

Jonathan4290 (Burgundians) 25/42 defeats Londo (Allies) 48/48
The Burgundians turned their guns around to help the knights blast through the rear Allied blocking party. The Burgundians set up on the rear high ground and picked off enough Allied units to win it.

Jonathan4290: 10.0
Londo: 6.0
The "rear Allied blocking party" was of course rear-echelon Burgundian soldiers and camp followers, who were causing congestion as they went over the bridge. So in order to effect his escape, Duke Charles brutally slaughtered his own people with artillery!

Charles won the battle, but was hanged shortly thereafter by his enraged troops. :P

Fogman, I believe you have redesigned the scenario? I seemed that it had two problems: Burg could stay and fight on the hill with a good probability of success, or Burg could decamp and quickly blast through the congestion markers to establish a new position on the other side of the river, which would be pretty much impregnable. Either way, things seemed too hard for the Swiss.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

the 'allied blocking party' are just markers, not real troops.

nancy has been rewritten, along with grandson a little while ago. have a look in hot seat.
Fm Nancy 1477.zip
(6.85 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
(delete the other one)
Fm Grandson 1476.zip
(6.89 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
(delete the other one)

i've been waiting for the new version to re-release the whole scenario library; the lords tournament has been very useful in testing and refining many issues, especially play balance (one of the problems with DAG is the inherent mismatch among various armies, which i think makes it unsuitable for tournament play)

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”