Le Roi Soleil is now available for original Pike and Shot!

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Le Roi Soleil is now available for original Pike and Shot!

Post by Daniele » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Three months ago, Campaigns – the last installment in the Pike and Shot series – received a major update called Le Roi Soleil. This free mini-expansion dedicated to the great military modernization of the French army actually covers European armies from 1649 to 1698 and introduces 37 new army lists in both single-player and multiplayer modes.

Unfortunately technical reasons prevented the owners of the original Pike and Shot on iPad and PC from accessing it.

And this was not a situation to satisfy Byzantine Games. So in order to leave no musketeer behind on the fields of glory, game developer Richard Bodley Scott worked on adapting this update for the previous versions of Pike and Shot.

Today iPad fans of this unique wargame featuring one of the richest periods in European history will be happy to know that they can now enjoy the Roi Soleil content on their device, free of charge!

They simply have to download the appropriate package directly into the game and generate a new skirmish battle against the AI or another human player.

This Christmas present from Byzantine Games also applies for PC owners of the original version of Pike and Shot!

Siramnes
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Le Roi Soleil is now available for original Pike and Sho

Post by Siramnes » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Sorry, but I cannot find the roi soleil update. How do I access it?

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:08 pm

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Siramnes wrote:Sorry, but I cannot find the roi soleil update. How do I access it?
Go to "Historical" from the main menu.

Click the "Download Community Scenarios" button (at the top of the screen).

You will find "Le Roi Soleil" near the bottom of the list. Select it and hit the "Download Selected Campaign" button. It will download and will then be available in Skirmish mode. There is also an MP version which once downloaded will be available for Skirmishes in Multiplayer mode.

This is the official Byzantine Games "Le Roi Soleil" update, exactly the same as the "Le Roi Soleil" update in Pike and Shot: Campaigns. Making it available in the same way as a Mod was the only way we could make it available on iPad.
Richard Bodley Scott

MooN
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by MooN » Fri May 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Richard....Thank you for your efforts on behalf of the iPad gamer, One point I have noticed is the propensity for the generator algorithm to provide the human player with an force predominantly average and below average whereas the AI force is invariably overall one level up Viz. above average or better. Conversely when on switches sides and generates the same scenario the overall quality levels are invariably reversed !!!

Whilst I appreciate that the human condition perhaps requires a touch of counter balance in favour of the AI in the vast majority of scenarios one finds oneself not only down on troop quality, but also at parity or worse in unit numbers/types.

Richard....I would be grateful were you to find a little time to take a look at my considerations.

All the best.
Jasper.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri May 06, 2016 5:36 pm

MooN wrote:Richard....Thank you for your efforts on behalf of the iPad gamer, One point I have noticed is the propensity for the generator algorithm to provide the human player with an force predominantly average and below average whereas the AI force is invariably overall one level up Viz. above average or better. Conversely when on switches sides and generates the same scenario the overall quality levels are invariably reversed !!!

Whilst I appreciate that the human condition perhaps requires a touch of counter balance in favour of the AI in the vast majority of scenarios one finds oneself not only down on troop quality, but also at parity or worse in unit numbers/types.

Richard....I would be grateful were you to find a little time to take a look at my considerations.

All the best.
Jasper.
Actually the automatic force selector is exactly the same for player and AI forces, so any difference in the quality of units is down to chance or the particular army lists chosen.

(Unless you are playing on the highest difficulty level, in which case quality is indeed tweaked in favour of the AI. But this only occurs on the highest difficulty level.)

Obviously some army lists have a higher proportion of high quality troops, but if they are higher quality, they cost more points, so the army will have less units overall.

Depending on the difficulty level chosen, the AI may have more points overall than you, but this just affects how many points worth of troops they can select from the army list, it does not affect the quality of the units chosen.
Richard Bodley Scott

MooN

Post by MooN » Sat May 07, 2016 9:26 am

Good morning Richard, thank you for the swift responce to my query.

Ahhhha! I am indeed doing battle against Captain General AI, I shall step down a notch and cycle through the match ups again.

I am thoroughly enjoying my initial expeareance with the game which has also as a side effect re-ignited my interest in tabletop war gaming after several years moratorium.

A couple of facets of the game that have struck me thus far if I may.

Units facing an opponent already engaged in melee still deemed as priority charge target, which often prevents one being allowed to turn to face a threat to flank or rear.

Most infantry and skirmish order cavalry without primary melee weapon not able to charge mounted opponents in the rear (only) , even if the opponent cavalry are already fully engaged in melee to the front.

I had a scenario recently where an large unit of enemy Cuirassiers were practically surrounded by melee armed infantry that were unable to engage the cavalry even to the rear, the unit did have at least two squares available to move away by, however it was as tho the AI was using the charge rule in a way to use the single invulnerable unit as an infantry "blocker" when in reality any sane human unit in historical reality would have got the hell out or died where they stood.

Units of pike, with or without shot, moving through heavily wooded areas only to emerge onto open ground without any disadvantage, perhaps it might seem more realistic that, say a large tercio , were deemed to be D-disordered for one turn after emerging, only then returning to steady if the unit neither fights, fires or moves. Perhaps streams also for all large formed body's of non skirmish troop types.

Medium and heavy artillery seem rather laser target capable ATM, perhaps should either player or AI wish to acquire a new target situated more than half their firing radius away from last target might be required to re-lay and therefore deemed to have moved that turn, firing the next.

I sincerely hope that my thoughts might be regarded as practical consideration, and not mere criticism alone.

Regards.

Jasper.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat May 07, 2016 6:22 pm

MooN wrote:Units facing an opponent already engaged in melee still deemed as priority charge target, which often prevents one being allowed to turn to face a threat to flank or rear.
A priority target only prevents a turn that does not reduce flank/rear threat, so this should not be the case. If it happens again please post a screenshot, and I may be able to explain why the unit could not turn.
Most infantry and skirmish order cavalry without primary melee weapon not able to charge mounted opponents in the rear (only), even if the opponent cavalry are already fully engaged in melee to the front.
Skirmish order cavalry can charge anyone they like. Skirmish order infantry can't charge any formed troops in open terrain.

Pike and shot or pure shot infantry can't charge cavalry in the rear (a) because they didn't. b) Because the cavalry would not in reality stand around for it to happen, even if they were "engaged in melee". In reality cavalry combats were far more dynamic affairs than can easily be visually represented in an IGOUGO game. The apparently static target for the infantry to attack does not really exist.

I take your point about the unit that was completely surrounded, but the scripts don't (currently) go into such situationally special cases.
Units of pike, with or without shot, moving through heavily wooded areas only to emerge onto open ground without any disadvantage
And yet the Swiss did exactly this, and attacked the Burgundians without stopping to reform.

The general design policy in the FOG system, and hence P&S, is to keep the flow of the game going. So we do not make units rally after emerging from terrain, nor after a charge that failed to make contact, nor after an evade, nor after a pursuit and so on. This may not be 100% realistic, but one should bear in mind that everything in the game is speeded up compared with reality. Watching two units shooting it out for 10 turns would not be very entertaining, and so the effects of an exchange of fire are also speeded up.

Essentially everything in the game is speeded up to make it more interesting as a game, and if units had to spend a lot of time rallying, the action would be over before they could intervene. (Whereas in reality the other events would also be slower, giving them time to rally and get there).

So overall, the design should balance out. Everything speeded up to roughly the same degree, and no tedious delays while units stand still rallying or shoot at each other for 10 turns before something happens.
Medium and heavy artillery seem rather laser target capable ATM, perhaps should either player or AI wish to acquire a new target situated more than half their firing radius away from last target might be required to re-lay and therefore deemed to have moved that turn, firing the next.
A very reasonable suggestion.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Pike & Shot”