Can somebody help me understand recon vs tank

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

greyhoundgames
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Can somebody help me understand recon vs tank

Post by greyhoundgames » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:22 pm

I just started playing this game and I am doing the initial Germany campaign.
I compare the stats of the tanks to the recon and the SdKfz 222 (the left most recon) seems vastly superior in all ways to all the tanks except the most expensive one. And even there it may be better because its so much cheaper(which is the reason it seems better then the 2nd from the right tank). Can anyone shed some light on why I would want one of these tanks when recon has the other advantages of taking multiple turns to bipass zone of control?

Thanks!

TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Can somebody help me understand recon vs tank

Post by TSPC37730 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:24 pm

The initial recon unit values may be higher, but, it's a very temporary situation. As the game progresses, newer & better tanks will become available. These will be dramatically stronger than any available recon units. There will be a few new recon units as well, but, they will pale in comparison. In between scenarios, you'll be able to upgrade your older tanks to the newer versions. By upgrading, you'll carry over any experience & heroes you may have earned.

There's certainly a place for 2 or 3 recon units in the early years IMO, but, you'll need more tanks. The game is called Panzer Corps after all... Hope this helps & welcome to the game.

greyhoundgames

Post by greyhoundgames » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks for the reply!

wargovichr
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by wargovichr » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:56 pm

Make SURE you protect your recon as they are #1 bait for enemy to kill, the AI that wants to blind you!
Likewise, your killing AI recon is a priority. Hide in the fog of war!! This is critical, saves you from being spotted and hit by enemy air raiders.
Stage your recon just behind the front line at turn end, **behind** your armor or behind infantry safely (defensively) placed in city/rough/hills, etc. THEN, on next turn move up your recon a few hexes, use the 3-hex spotting and RETURN THEM TO SAFETY behind the front line (behind your tanks, etc., having moved forward...planning!).
Use them to clean up very weakened enemy units, to gain experience. Use them to take an objective, pause until objective flag turns German, then move again, back to the line, or to safety.
Useful to spot heavy defenses around cities.
Use them to aid "mass attack" the bonus when more than one unit that hasn't attacked yet is adjacent to an enemy unit about to be attacked...then have them "clean up" or move on.
Later on, a panzer might get a spotting hero (then can spot 3 hexes just like recon)--obviating need for any more recon. Later, some then disband/sell them as tanks/panzers are much harder hitting.

KnobiWahn
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by KnobiWahn » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:06 am

Recons are nice for capturing more then one Objects in one turn

simcc
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by simcc » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:29 am

Recon is good in early campaigns as the tanks is still weak but do not neglect tanks as they can be upgraded to other types and you need experience tanks later.

Recon is a must and vital if you wanna win especially in GC. Note recon upgrade do not have the same family tree options IIRC hence you need to plan well or end up paying full price. All terrain movement type is always a better choice as recon needs to fallback after every move or they will not survive. I trick I always use is move ahead chk enemy spotting range and end right where they can see me last sighting spot and move artillery behind it as enemy will always chase after recon so you get to lure them out but beware late game not advisable due to strong opponent tanks

Return to “Panzer Corps”