Panzer Corps Priorities - Your Opinions

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

b52pilot1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Panzer Corps Priorities - Your Opinions

Post by b52pilot1 »

One more recommendation....not sure if the game engine allows this but...

Is it possible to give only partial replacements to a weakened unit? In the current game you can only strengthen a diminished unit to a strength of 10 (using either regular or elite replacements). Occasionally it would be beneficial to partially strengthen a unit ( to save prestige, and prevent the unit from being an easy target). Also, it would be nice if I had the ability to use a mixture of regular and elite replacements. Again, the benefit would be to save a little prestige since elite replacements can have a hefty price tag.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Red hex markers for ships low on fuel.

My War of the World II mod desperately needs these - I had to scuttle a carrier earlier :(

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
wargovichr
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by wargovichr »

I agree with other posters and a few....
1) Allow unit values on right-clicked unit details and stats panel reflect added value from heroes bonuses so newbie units do not appear same strength as very experienced unit
2) Allow partial reinforcement and mixture elite/regular reinforcements
3) Add anti-tank bonus to adjacent units
4) Add bonus for medals awarded...+1 ammo, more fuel, transport upgrade for infantry or next model upgrade for major medals
5) Consider adding leaders and utilize adjacent leader bonuses
6) Add a bonus battle with patches that can be inserted into older DLCs that enhance re-playability
wargovichr

Post by wargovichr »

I agree with other posters and a few....
1) Allow unit values on right-clicked unit details and stats panel reflect added value from heroes bonuses so newbie units do not appear same strength as very experienced unit
3) Add anti-tank bonus to adjacent units
4) Add bonus for medals awarded...+1 ammo, more fuel, transport upgrade for infantry or next model upgrade for major medals
5) Consider adding leaders and utilize adjacent leader bonuses
6) Add a bonus battle with patches that can be inserted into older DLCs that enhance re-playability
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Thanks for asking. I'm pretty pleased with the game already, but---- Two in particular that would make me happy and I do not think they would be too hard.

In the scenarios that contain minor nations, it would be awesome to be able to add those to your core. In the original SSI games I had a fun time adding Italian, Hungarian, and Romanian units into my German core. Or Free French or Free Polish into my allied core. The units were almost always weaker than the main counterpart, but it was all about flavor.
(EDIT: Suddenly occurred to me that I was able to purchase both German and Italian units in AK. So the ability is there, it just isn't used by scenario designers.) Nevermind.

Second thing would be the ability to have artillery (and perhaps bombers) target a hex. Drives me nuts when rain or snow keeps me from shooting at a unit that I KNOW is there.

Adding naval units to the core would be the highest on my wishlist, but that seems much more like a full release and less a patch. Perhaps someday.
Last edited by Vaughn on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

In no particular order:
1) Soft cap on/off selection. Also consider changing soft cap limits with difficulty level (surely playing at lieutenant should have a more generous soft cap range than field marshall?) or adding a slider to change settings.
2) Subs chance to evade reduced (to 33 or 35% would probably be about right). Possibly remove return of fire from surface attacks.
3) Strategic view shows low-fuel planes in red or yellow.
4) Proper animation for vehicles with autocannon (German and Italian 20mm, French 25mm).
5) Correct balance of overpowered allied/Russian recon units (M3 halftrack is hard target with GD 2 or 3 for US, so why soft target in Russian hands?) Also, change attack stats to better match other comparable units (2 x 0.3" and one 0.5" machine gun or light cannon should surely be more like LRDG than like a 75mm gunned tank).
6) Replace initiative hero with something else (ideally +1 ammo) for bombers - initiative hero on tac bomber that doesn't have active attack is effectively useless, and only marginally better on strategic bomber.
7) Consider allowing defensive fire from AT guns (either like fighters or like artillery). Consider also whether destroyers should provide defensive fire against subs.
8 - Review HA for German Pak 75. It was supposedly a lot better than the Pak 50 should be more like the 75mm SP guns, but currently is effectively the same as the 57mm gun.

That's all for the moment.
KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by KeldorKatarn »

I thought about this some more. Defensive fire in unit traits is probably bad because too hard to figure out what provides fire against what. So maybe add this to the rules file? That way one could define what unit type provides defensive fire against what attacker type and how often (once like fighters or multiple times like arty). Towed AT units will surely benefit from this a lot. it is often very hard to move them to the front without slowing everybody down, but it is NOT that hard to move them adjacent to a frontline unit. I doubt this will overpower anything. Especially if the AT gun can only support once, like fighters. Will the AI and inexperienced players that didn't scout first often run into these kind of ambushes then? Sure. But that's what they were for after all. Especially the high end 7.5 and 8.8 PaK (not the switchable flak), are nearly never bought, because better stuff is available. With the support trait you could keep them at the back, out of artillery range, out of spotting range and use them in the GC defensive scenarios to great effect as a cheap unit easily affordable. And I doubt that this will unbalance things considering the massive amount of enemy tanks, but it will make battles a lot more interesting and tactical. Especially since the AI will benefit from this as well. Scenarios don't need to be redesigned either. Most scenarios have already AT guns adjacent to other stuff in hold position places where they'll be effective. Support fire fill only make those defensive screens more effective, the unit positioning is already in place but right now easy to unhinge when the defending arty is gone. With AT also providing support fire you'd need to be a lot more careful with your tanks, scouting for hidden positions. Also early AT guns which are very weak, could actually be useful. Right now they can hardly do anything unless against fully supressed enemy tanks. With this they could be used to lure enemy tanks into traps.

If these trait changes are potentially too problematic in your eyes, then make a small beta test. People surely have savegames from all kinds of campaigns lying around. We could test whether anything plays dramatically different or just more intersting. I seriously doubt it will be really bad. I played games with recon units being camoflaged, towed AT guns being camoflaged AND sometimes having 2 movement, and the difficulty was still perfectly fine. I doubt one more unit trait is going to require massive rebalancing, but they will make the player's core more diversified. Towed AT guns and AT units with low groung defense become a lot more useful. Also you can use artillery in other places then. no longer do you need to defend your infantry against armor with semi effective artillery, but you can use your AT units for that task of keeping your infantry safe. More diverse and complex combined arms = good.

At this point we have so much content that I think it'd be more fun to play around with slight adjustments to the rule a bit, rather than create even more content that plays the same. Slight rule adjustments, some minor unit rebalancing and filling up the ranks of nations like Germany with unit types that got introduced later (recon planes, horse transport) are a lot more appropriate right now :)
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw
TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 »

wargovichr wrote:I agree with other posters and a few....

This is a great suggestion & I'd like to see it too. It's now on my wish list. Thanks!
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

TSPC37730 wrote:

This is a great suggestion & I'd like to see it too. It's now on my wish list. Thanks!
Should be easy enough to do... maybe a Ctrl+Click on the button should only give 1 point reinforcement while a regular click works as before. That way you could reinforce as high as you want and mix regular with elite by just doing multiple Ctrl+Clicks.
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

1) Change the AI so it only deploys 3 or 4 units around a city.
Right now the AI picks the city farthest from the front and deploys all units until all 8 hexes are filled. Then moves to the next city.

In Sargent mode it deploys units only in 6 hexes. So, I know this can be changed.

2) Change code to make AI fire Artillery first, not last.

3) Change the SiG 33 unit to range of 2.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

TSPC37730 wrote:

A good way to implement: Use the Shift key. Shift and click to add one reinforcement in both regular and elite.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Razz1 wrote:2) Change code to make AI fire Artillery first, not last.
From what I know the AI already was patched to go through artillery twice. Artillery shoots early in the turn, and then again later. So it already does supressive fire (and quite effectively forces surrenders that way if you're not careful). So I think that's been in place a long time already.
Xitax

Post by Xitax »

A small thing; give frozen lakes a different tile than unfrozen water. I created one a long time ago and I can contribute it if you want.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

One I forgot:
Allow initiative bonuses from experience and hero to apply in bad weather (or at least one of the two). Currently, in bad weather, hero and experience bonuses for initiative are added BEFORE the initiative cap is applied. Surely a better disciplined or smarter unit would have better patrols, be better prepared etc.and would have an edge over a less experienced or less capable unit.

And a purely personal and not 100% serious one: Any force deploying the T90 SPAAG should automatically lose!
uncajerf
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by uncajerf »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:
Sourdust wrote: please fix the terribly written mission briefings in US Corps!
and Soviet Corps.

- BNC
Done (albeit not 'officially')! See my thread: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=72515

I'm still tweaking them, but would very much like some feedback before posting next version.
uncajerf

"Artillery adds dignity to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl." -Frederick the Great
Flaygor
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Flaygor »

The soft cap on/off switch so I can play with the new rules but NOT the soft cap.

Mobile AA guns that can shoot at ground targets, every doco you see and even Saving Private Ryan has AA being used in the ground attack mode. IIRC, the old PG and AG games featured this ability.
BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

captainjack wrote: And a purely personal and not 100% serious one: Any force deploying the T90 SPAAG should automatically lose!
I second this!

Though that might unbalance all of the East front GCs a bit too much...

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

And some more (all serious this time):
- the ability to check combat results during enemy attacks would be useful. At the moment, it is very hit and miss which combat result you get and while viewing combat results, enemy attacks continue so you lose information by trying to understand what is going on. If this means you have to click to proceed after each enemy attack, you could make it a start up screen option to avoid annoying people who don't want it.
- window mode doesn't work properly. It's currently easier and better to save the game, quit and adjust PC settings than to open the window to do so.
- Avro Anson has naval attack but no ammo. Add ammo or remove naval attack.
- adjust bridging unit move so that entering a river hex doesn't take a full move. This is especially annoying with bridging vehicles, which move one hex next to a river and then with 80% of their move left sit there and look stupid, while everyone else is wanting to cross.
- Jagdtiger HA increased to 30 (same gun as Maus so why inferior HA to the Maus?), and increase price accordingly.

While I would rather like to have a switch to a ground attack mode for light AA (<37mm), if creating additional animations and icons is too much trouble, consider increasing passive SA and HA to allow for their ability to provide effective defence.
adiekmann
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by adiekmann »

Most of what I can think of has already been mentioned previously, but I'll add my support to it by repeating it here.

1. Include hero bonuses in all the stats!! Make them red to reflect its adjustment, or whatever. But this should have been done a long time ago!
2. PG and AG both allowed this: allow secondary nations to be purchased for you core! It does add flavor, especially for the allies. I miss this the most when playing AC and my 8th Army must all be "British" units. Why can't I add Australian, New Zealand, Indian, etc. units? Especially when they already exist in the game.
3. The German motorcycle recon unit. Agree with all that's already been said about it.
4. German recon aircraft!! FW-189 Uhu and Fieseler Fi 156
5. Offensive abilities for .50, 20mm, and 37mm Anti-aircraft guns. They were sometimes used against soft targets historically and in other war games like Company of Heroes 2 and as shown in movies like Saving Private Ryan.
6. And finally, allow certain dual purpose weapons/units - and I am thinking specifically of the 88mm FlaK gun - to be purchased or deployed either as a AT gun or AA.
adiekmann

Post by adiekmann »

Razz1 wrote:
b52pilot1 wrote:My recommendations are for the US Corps DLCs:

2) Do not show minor nations units available for purchase. You cannot purchase any of the minor nations' units, so why are they even visible (sometimes a minor nation's units are the default displayed units).
Actually, you can make the units available. There's a trick in scenario design.
There is a work around in Allied Corps too, but then I discovered that my core Australian units, for instance, couldn't capture victory locations in scenarios where they weren't otherwise featured. Yes, they would capture the flag, but then I would receive a loss because it didn't recognize that flag! It required a unit that would cause a Union Jack to appear on the victory hex instead. This surprise annoyance ruined my work around for all practical purposes.

Return to “Panzer Corps”