Suomussalmi - HELP

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Meteor2
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Suomussalmi - HELP

Post by Meteor2 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:42 pm

I have played the scenario several times, but with no success. :(
What are the key factors to win this scenario???
By the way: I do not have the tank from the previous scenario.

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Suomussalmi - HELP

Post by Uhu » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:37 am

- Which victory goal couldn't you achive?
- What core force do you have? I think, most times , the right composition of the core force is a major factor, winning the given scn.
- It's sad, that you do not have the tank, I but you got 60 recruitment point compensation for that (just it is not communicated in the game).

My core force there was 2x heavy inf - that's important, because they can resist the most from the inf tank attacks and can do it the most. 4 arty is also absolute useful to soften the enemy and 2x level bombers too. Ski troops are also key elements in most of the scns, because of their high mobility. 2x fighters, 2x 40mm AA, 4x Ski troops, recon.

It is important to not let reconnect the encircled Soviets with their comrades. So, you have to have also a significant force in the south and later even strenghten them. I put 1x arty, 1x ski, 1x Heavy inf there. Also sent the aux ski from the middle of the map down to them. Also, after the first skirmishes were finished in the north, I sent the 2x fighters and 1x AA, 2x Ski troops down, because they will be more attacked, than the force in north. After that, the big challenge is that the north-force can get attacked from both side (from south and east direction). My last tactics was, that I do not started to real siege of Palovaara, but waited first on the attack from Pitkä. After I defeated that, I could fully concentrate south. After the relief-attempt-attacks were defeated, the scenario got rather easy, with no more suprises. But I did not care, because time was scarce to capture the rest of the objectives.

Meteor2 wrote:I have played the scenario several times, but with no success. :(
What are the key factors to win this scenario???
By the way: I do not have the tank from the previous scenario.

ikbenrichard
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Suomussalmi - HELP

Post by ikbenrichard » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Place 2 fast moving units to defend for 10 turns the supply line. At turn 11 get them asap up north with the rest of yiour army.
You need 3 artillery (for further missions vital), place them in the middle, with the rest of your army. Get secondary asap with main army, then attack south/east. Leave no one alive.

Then fight all the way south. If no tank then get 2 heavys in your army.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”