problem with startup

gledder
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

problem with startup

Post by gledder »

I just bought Frontline:Road to Moscow and installed it on my new Windows 10 laptop. I can get the initial screen with the picture of Guderian and several buttons, including one to play the game. When I click that, I get the main game screen with buttons labeled "Campaign," "Options," "Credits," and "Exit." When I hit Campaign, I get a map. However, the only control on the map is the back button in the lower-left corner, and when I hit that it takes me to another screen that eventually gets me back to the main game screen. There is never any menu that allows me to pick a scenario, and of course there are no buttons that allow me to actually play the game. Anybody know what to do?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: problem with startup

Post by zakblood »

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)
gledder

Post by gledder »

Here is the dxdiag output.

"add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation."

I have a trial version of McAfee Security Scan and I'm using the Windows Defender that comes with Windows 10. I don't know how to do what you've suggested here--do you have a web reference I can follow?

"run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions."

I think I am doing this, but I don't know enough to be sure. The computer has just one account, and I assume it has admin permissions since I was able to install the software.

"please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version."

How do I know what these are? And if the game requires an older version, does that mean I have to uninstall the newer version? What if some other software requires the newer version?

"please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)"

I should be good on this one. After installing the original game I immediately downloaded and installed the 1.08 patch.
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
(15.39 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i'll write down, well copy paste what i read in the order i find them, and then explain why or if they are or could be a problem

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

default is 96DPI

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 515

Display Memory: 4165 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 4037 MB

on chip VGA, so no dedi vga card, using system ram

Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8074MB RAM -4037 MB Shared Display Memory, meaning half of your system memory is going to your onchip VGA, not only slowing the whole system down, but also making the CPU slow down, as while it does the maths on the vga, it now also has to do the CPU as well, a dedi card even a low end one tasks this to a onboard CPU, which lesson the burden to the main CPU

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-6Y30 CPU @ 0.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.5GHz (one of the latest low powered, budget but powerful skylark processors)

errors in logs are all system errors and not game related so nothing else to go on either, so would just be guessing i'm sorry to say.

for me i'd recommend this,

remove, by uninstalling McAfee Security Scan, as you can't have 2 antivirus scanners running, unless one is set to active and the other passive, two active scanners can conflict, (active means it runs all the time, passive is one you run manually and isn't loaded until needed and has no active part running at startup)

then reboot, Defender will kick in fully, so you will have a active AV scanner, which is as good as any, and won't slow the system down like some.

Please open the game installation folder, find a file named Frontline - Road to Moscow.exe and run it.
Do you receive any error message?

right click on the shortcut and open file location to look and find, run it from there, not the shortcut and see if that helps etc or it will at least give an error message, which will be in a folder called -data (called again after the game your using and the log file will be called output_log, just zip the file up and uploaded as an attachment here, or copy paste if not sure, thanks
gledder

Post by gledder »

I deleted the McAfee, which brought up a message that I should turn on Windows Defender, so apparently that one had been passive. I made it active and rebooted.

I found the folder C:/Slitherine/Frontline - Road to Moscow.
I launched the game using Frontline - Road to Moscow.exe.

Exactly the same thing happened. My opening screen had four menu options:
"Campaign," "Options," "Credits," and "Exit."
When I hit Campaign, I get a map.
The only control on the map is the back button in the lower-left corner.
That takes me to another screen with hints.
There is a continue button, which takes me back to the main menu.

I did find an output log file, so I have attached that.
Attachments
output_log.zip
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

can you uninstall and then reinstall it for me, then update the game now please, and re try

seems some files are missing or not being seen by the game for some reason
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Slitherine/Frontline Road to Moscow/Frontline - Road to Moscow_Data/Mono/libc
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Slitherine/Frontline Road to Moscow/Frontline - Road to Moscow_Data/Mono/.\libc
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Slitherine/Frontline Road to Moscow/Frontline - Road to Moscow_Data/Mono/libc
a reinstall will fix this, hopefully now the AV has been uninstalled, once the old version has been uninstalled, make sure the folder is also gone, so nothing else remains, then where you downloaded the files to, before running, right click on them and run all as admin, you should have 2 files to install, the main game exe and one update, both need re installing as admin.

good luck
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Please also download and reinstall DirectX from the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=8109

Run and extract it to a folder of your choice. Open that folder and find a file named "DXSETUP.exe".
Run and let it install a full version of DirectX9c.
gledder

Post by gledder »

VPaulus wrote:Please also download and reinstall DirectX from the link below:

Run and extract it to a folder of your choice. Open that folder and find a file named "DXSETUP.exe".
The file that I found on this site was directx_Jun2010_redist.exe. There was no zip file to extract and no DXSETUP.exe.
gledder

Post by gledder »

I just tried the reinstallation suggested in zakblood's last post. I was careful to follow the instructions exactly, including the removal of the old game folder. The result was exactly the same as before. The output log is identical.

I'm thinking that this isn't worth any more of my time or yours. Do you suppose I could get a refund or a credit toward a different game? I know I don't have this problem with all Slitherine software. I've got the Panzer Corps 1.04 demo loaded, and it runs just fine.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

gledder wrote:
VPaulus wrote:Please also download and reinstall DirectX from the link below:

The file that I found on this site was directx_Jun2010_redist.exe. There was no zip file to extract and no DXSETUP.exe.
Have you tried to run the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe? It's a self extracted zip file, that mean it will auto unzip if you run it.
gledder

Post by gledder »

I just did that. It didn't change anything. I don't see how it could have, since it would not replace missing files from the game.
gledder

Post by gledder »

So what do I need to do to get a refund or store credit?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Please contact support[at]slitherine.co.uk, we will troubleshoot your issue from there.

Return to “Frontline: Road to Moscow Tech Support”