Any tips for winning Soumussalmi?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bigorange
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Any tips for winning Soumussalmi?

Post by bigorange »

Those many Russian tanks sure make this a tough scenario. Any tips appreciated.
Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: Any tips for winning Soumussalmi?

Post by Uhu »

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=73665
bigorange wrote:Those many Russian tanks sure make this a tough scenario. Any tips appreciated.
DirkW
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DirkW »

You can ward of the enemy tanks with paks stationed behind! your infantry!! Heavy infantry is qied overpowered so buy these. You can ward of his attaks in the north and south than take a supply giving objective in the cauldron to bring the enemy to loose efficency by lack of supply. That makes it easy to clear the cauldron. And hang on !!! the scenario at first looks daunting but once u survived the enemy onslaugth the cleanining of the cauldron goes fast.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I focussed my forces into two groups. One in the extreme North with the task of breaking down the defenders in the Northern pocket. They also had a couple of detachments of Ski troops who were out to the east to harass and delay the reinforcements from the North East.

The group in the south actually had my stronger forces. Two H.Inf, one at each side of the gap, my best Artillery piece in the trees over the frozen river, my sole captured tank to run around harassing stragglers and AA guns and two Inf units who's job was to focus down units that came into contact with the H.Inf units. I also had a couple of Tactical Bombers flying around to lend support wherever they could.

I pretty much ignored the central deployment zone and didn't try to push out with my Southern Force until the denoument. It was mostly a case of resistance in the South whilst my Northern group chipped it's way down the Motti.

edit: Oh, and yes, I agree with the above. The Tanks can be quite scary, but your Ski troops are very maneuverable and can easily cut the assault in the North from Supply. The South was all about destroying efficiency with the artillery and hanging on.
simcc
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by simcc »

Well I have just finish this scenario. I am kinda behind in OOB series hehe playing other games at the moment.

First press spacebar during deployment, notice that there is huge supply of 50 around where the soviet is, so capture it and it's gg right from the start. I clean out every unit in the game because I had all the time after taking the first dash. Don't let any army fool you, in OOB series it's all about the supply, of zero supply even a million tank is useless.

My army
3 ski
2 eng
3 inf
1 heavy
2 arty
2 at
1 aa
1 fighter
3 strategic bomber

Deployment
South area deploy 2 arty near frozen river but in range of the town that you need to capture 50 points supply area, a heavy and an eng deploy near the aux unit deploy there south side, 1 ski beside my twin arty. Others all on North even the air planes.
Turn 1 bombard the town with 2 arty. Move the heavy and eng 1 step towards the town and ski on town west flank. North focus on clearing the top pocket which you will get some resources within the time given.
Turn 2 bombard the town with 2 arty. Eng move in ski flank it and eng attack follow by ski, if he didn't run yet use the heavy to chase him off the town. Capture that all the enemy in the pocket will have supply block and hence not effective anymore. North cleared the pocket.
Turn 3 ski station in captured town to prevent enemy from gaining back supply. By then soviet will have a heavy and inf moving from South Corner. Reposition the arty to cover the aux unit there. Heavy move towards him to support and eng follow the road sightly moving abit North East. Station the eng there is important as it will prevent enemy from linking up in 10 turns. If spotted 2 enemy units approaching from there lay mines, if not just chill around there. North army should have clear the top pocket so move the inf and 2 AT towards east side objective as some tanks will show up if you are not fast enough. 3 bombers focus on town enemy and lower the efficiencies and assault it ASAP again to take away the supply on North. Ski move south and clear the town North with some supply there. Should be hard as enemy low efficiency so take away that last top supply enemy will have a red dot and all turn red and easy kill for your ski to get the hero. And slowly move south killing anything you see.
Tank and AA must rush South as South will have tanks appearing later and some planes. The twin arty there will save your heavy from being overrun and you only have a recon left at full efficiency at the airport to deal with so take your time and kill everything.

I am playing the highest difficulty so any level below that is a piece of cake. The scenario design is quite weak on this scenario so makes it easy. Only 1 inf defending the main town with AT and AA so a fast rush all those army inside the pocket no supply so I hope developer can make some changes to it later especially the defence of the main town. Remember the thumb rule of OOB supply cut and Finns have ski which is very good at doing this job.

I always use strategy bomber as well as taking efficiency away is far better than taking a few points away from enemy since I am playing the highest difficulty level where enemy start at strength 13 so even your 3 tac bomber take a strength of each enemy still have 10 which is equal to yours.

On a side note I hope the developer sees this, I still hate the movement part of wheels and tracks not much difference and also no weather effect like PzC where muddy ground that makes unit crawl or snow/rain that makes plane useless etc. And I miss naval battle, all the dlc seems to have minimal to none naval combat which is the jewel of this game.
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

Nice strategy, simcc.

Can strategic bombers fullfill the later scenario with an objective to destroy the trains in a given timeperiod?

And I also miss the gem of the game, naval battles with core carry-over units!
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

No. I had to replay for that reason from 2nd scn, because only the tac bomber is enough to harm the train at Artic Fox.
WarHomer wrote:Nice strategy, simcc.

Can strategic bombers fullfill the later scenario with an objective to destroy the trains in a given timeperiod?

And I also miss the gem of the game, naval battles with core carry-over units!

Return to “Order of Battle Series”