Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by AlbertoC »

Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg, the new upcoming expansion, brings Order of Battle to the european battlefields. Playing as Germany you will show the world what it means to unleash a devastating blitzkrieg on unsuspecting foes!

It has a scope and a scale never seen before in an Order of Battle DLC, making it the most ambitious campaign up to date. Start in Poland in the September of 1939, move to Denmark and Norway and then off to France and Belgium! Subjugate the Balkans and Greece, and then it’s time to face the Soviet behemoth in Operation Barbarossa… two years of warfare, and a huge roster of units.

Today we’re going to have a look at some of those units! A nice selection from 1939-1941: some are iconic, others are a bit more original, but all of them represent mechanized warfare at its finest!

170mm Kanone 18
One of the highest ranged artillery units in the game: devastating. When you hear this beast roar you know that it will soon start raining hellfire.

Focke-Wulf Fw 190
One of the best fighters of its time, and virtually superior to the British Spitfire in almost everything. An absolute protagonist of the Blitzkrieg timeframe.

Armoured Train
This is a special unit the Wehrmacht can capture by completing a secondary objective! A unique unit with high mobility.

Junkers Ju 87 aka Stuka
It’s hard not to think “Stuka” when you hear “Blitzkrieg”. One of the most famous dive bombers of the whole war, it can be used to extremely destructive effects.

Panzer 38(t)
Originally a czech tank, it was adopted by the Germany army after the annexation of Czechoslovakia, and saw action in all fronts of the Blitzkrieg period.

Panzerkampfwagen III aka Panzer III
A medium tank the Wehrmacht employed extensively throughout World War II, in game it is -the- anti-tank tank. A must to support heavier vehicles and defend them from other tanks.

Panzerkampfwagen IV aka Panzer IV
The most widely built tank, used in all combat theaters involving Germany, and the only German tank remaining in continuous production throughout the whole war. The Panzer IV couldn’t be missing. It’s a very powerful unit but especially deadly against infantry and in shock assaults with his short barreled gun.

S Boot S26
Torpedo boats are always handy, right? This beauty will be available for operations in specific scenarios (Dunkirk? Coughs) – its specialties, coastal harassment and hit & run tactics against transport ships.

Sd.Kfz. 7
The motorised quadruple 20mm gun is an excellent platform to keep the fast-moving panzer division under a constant umbrella of AA protection.

StuG III Ausf E
The StuG can be used both for direct fire (assault gun, higher damage to enemy strength and efficiency) or short range artillery. The perfect solution to (almost) any kind of problem: blast it with superior firepower.

These are but few of many new units coming with Blitzkrieg (over 200!). Do you want to see more?
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by bru888 »

AlbertoC wrote:Do you want to see more?
Achtung! Jawohl, mein obergruppenführer!
- Bru
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

AlbertoC wrote:Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg, the new upcoming expansion, brings Order of Battle to the european battlefields. Playing as Germany you will show the world what it means to unleash a devastating blitzkrieg on unsuspecting foes!

It has a scope and a scale never seen before in an Order of Battle DLC, making it the most ambitious campaign up to date. Start in Poland in the September of 1939, move to Denmark and Norway and then off to France and Belgium! Subjugate the Balkans and Greece, and then it’s time to face the Soviet behemoth in Operation Barbarossa… two years of warfare, and a huge roster of units.

Today we’re going to have a look at some of those units! A nice selection from 1939-1941: some are iconic, others are a bit more original, but all of them represent mechanized warfare at its finest!

170mm Kanone 18
One of the highest ranged artillery units in the game: devastating. When you hear this beast roar you know that it will soon start raining hellfire.

Focke-Wulf Fw 190
One of the best fighters of its time, and virtually superior to the British Spitfire in almost everything. An absolute protagonist of the Blitzkrieg timeframe.

Armoured Train
This is a special unit the Wehrmacht can capture by completing a secondary objective! A unique unit with high mobility.

Junkers Ju 87 aka Stuka
It’s hard not to think “Stuka” when you hear “Blitzkrieg”. One of the most famous dive bombers of the whole war, it can be used to extremely destructive effects.

Panzer 38(t)
Originally a czech tank, it was adopted by the Germany army after the annexation of Czechoslovakia, and saw action in all fronts of the Blitzkrieg period.

Panzerkampfwagen III aka Panzer III
A medium tank the Wehrmacht employed extensively throughout World War II, in game it is -the- anti-tank tank. A must to support heavier vehicles and defend them from other tanks.

Panzerkampfwagen IV aka Panzer IV
The most widely built tank, used in all combat theaters involving Germany, and the only German tank remaining in continuous production throughout the whole war. The Panzer IV couldn’t be missing. It’s a very powerful unit but especially deadly against infantry and in shock assaults with his short barreled gun.

S Boot S26
Torpedo boats are always handy, right? This beauty will be available for operations in specific scenarios (Dunkirk? Coughs) – its specialties, coastal harassment and hit & run tactics against transport ships.

Sd.Kfz. 7
The motorised quadruple 20mm gun is an excellent platform to keep the fast-moving panzer division under a constant umbrella of AA protection.

StuG III Ausf E
The StuG can be used both for direct fire (assault gun, higher damage to enemy strength and efficiency) or short range artillery. The perfect solution to (almost) any kind of problem: blast it with superior firepower.

These are but few of many new units coming with Blitzkrieg (over 200!). Do you want to see more?
Yes IM waiting for more !! :)
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Looks very good. :D

But the most motivating thing about the German Campaigns in Panzer General and Panzer Corps was unit upgrades, especially discounted upgrades (e.g from Panzer IV F to IV G and different versions of the Bf 109). Did you guys integrate these so I can drag my veterans from Poland to Moscow (and back)?

And please, please don't botch the mission design, mission goals and overall balance and difficulty again. Some missions in the original and in Winter War were fun, but others were just tedious slogs. The OOB supply line system is just made for Blitzkrieg-Style Panzer advances. But with my recent experience with missing event photographs (brown blanks), wrongly set objectives etc I kind of fear another beta release for a full DLC price. Which annoyed me with the original game already. :roll:
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Someone on Matrix asked for more infantry, so here's some infantry!

And a couple extras :)

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Andy2012 wrote: But the most motivating thing about the German Campaigns in Panzer General and Panzer Corps was unit upgrades, especially discounted upgrades (e.g from Panzer IV F to IV G and different versions of the Bf 109). Did you guys integrate these so I can drag my veterans from Poland to Moscow (and back)?
You can certainly upgrade your panzers as you go, and with the new import tool you'll be able to carry over your units from one campaign to the next.

The goal is to allow you to play your own Wehrmacht from 1939 to 1945.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

bru888 wrote: Jawohl, mein obergruppenführer!
This was an SS-Rank and therefore no fun! :!: :roll:
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

AlbertoC wrote:Someone on Matrix asked for more infantry, so here's some infantry!

And a couple extras :)

1. Could you change in heavy infantry gun for MG 34? and later for MG 42???? and sound of MG too :)
2. and change the engineers I mean helmets because they looks strange as a german troops ....the rest is cool!!!
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

AlbertoC wrote:
Andy2012 wrote: But the most motivating thing about the German Campaigns in Panzer General and Panzer Corps was unit upgrades, especially discounted upgrades (e.g from Panzer IV F to IV G and different versions of the Bf 109). Did you guys integrate these so I can drag my veterans from Poland to Moscow (and back)?
You can certainly upgrade your panzers as you go, and with the new import tool you'll be able to carry over your units from one campaign to the next.

The goal is to allow you to play your own Wehrmacht from 1939 to 1945.
Sounds good. But I will check the forums before I make a purchase. Sorry, but you guys burned me twice, with the original and the Winter War DLC - even though I still love this game and its potential.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Magic1111 wrote:
bru888 wrote: Jawohl, mein obergruppenführer!
This was an SS-Rank and therefore no fun! :!: :roll:
BTW, how does that whole Waffen-SS upgrade feature in that respect? I mean, the SS and its symbols are illegal in Germany. Putting a skull unit upgrade in the tech tree seems like asking for trouble. :shock:
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

calmhatchery wrote: 1. Could you change in heavy infantry gun for MG 34? and later for MG 42???? and sound of MG too :)
2. and change the engineers I mean helmets because they looks strange as a german troops ....the rest is cool!!!
Yeah, this is an M2 Browning, I think. MG 34 and 42 looked different. PanzerCorps got that one right, btw. Still looks good, though.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Andy2012 wrote: BTW, how does that whole Waffen-SS upgrade feature in that respect? I mean, the SS and its symbols are illegal in Germany. Putting a skull unit upgrade in the tech tree seems like asking for trouble. :shock:
My post was referring to the fact, that no one should not address someone with an SS rank! :wink:
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Magic1111 wrote:
Andy2012 wrote: BTW, how does that whole Waffen-SS upgrade feature in that respect? I mean, the SS and its symbols are illegal in Germany. Putting a skull unit upgrade in the tech tree seems like asking for trouble. :shock:
My post was referring to the fact, that no one should not address someone with an SS rank! :wink:
I know (and agree). I just stumbled over the Waffen SS and Viking Division upgrades. Personally, I don't mind that much. However, that whole Waffen SS-thing falls in the same spectrum as the swastika flag and so on. (OOB does not display swastikas as German WW2 units or flags for that reason.) But I guess as long they dont display SS runes on the units, they're fine. However, the skull units (Totenkopf) did guard the concentration camp. Tricky legal stuff.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

We are not breaking any law in Germany as we are not displaying any banned symbol.

The symbol we are using for the Waffen SS specialization is similar to the Totenkopf symbol but it's not the same one: it's a more generic skulls and bones symbol which might as well represent a frigate from the piracy golden era, the Skulls and Bones secret society or the ultras from Sankt Pauli. Naturally it's reminiscent of the real thing, but it's not identical, and we believe the distinction is important. On the other hand we needed a symbol to represent the Waffen SS in some way, and we went for this.

We're aware that it is a touchy subject, but our main interest is history and getting a good feel of that. We believe immersion is important. We don't think it's offensive to properly represent divisions which historically took part in the conflict.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

AlbertoC wrote:We are not breaking any law in Germany as we are not displaying any banned symbol.

The symbol we are using for the Waffen SS specialization is similar to the Totenkopf symbol but it's not the same one: it's a more generic skulls and bones symbol which might as well represent a frigate from the piracy golden era, the Skulls and Bones secret society or the ultras from Sankt Pauli. Naturally it's reminiscent of the real thing, but it's not identical, and we believe the distinction is important. On the other hand we needed a symbol to represent the Waffen SS in some way, and we went for this.

We're aware that it is a touchy subject, but our main interest is history and getting a good feel of that. We believe immersion is important. We don't think it's offensive to properly represent divisions which historically took part in the conflict.
Couldn't agree more. Looking forward to a fun game. :D
Btw, the German Heavy Infantry does use an MP with a curved clip in your image above. However, the MP40's clip was straight.
One more thing: Could you include an upgrade tree as a pdf or picture file or online here for the german units with their respective stats? Upgrading your units through various years and variations was the most motivating and satisfying thing in other strategy games and the Wehrmacht with its various tank versions (Panzer III I to J etc.) is just made for this stuff.
Please don't botch this DLC.
msu7151
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by msu7151 »

How come my Blitzkrieg beta expired today? If it is to stay that way, when is the actual game come out? Thanks.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

msu7151 wrote:How come my Blitzkrieg beta expired today? If it is to stay that way, when is the actual game come out? Thanks.
Just posted: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=74446

Blitzkrieg will come out on November 10th!
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

gut kameraden :)
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

AlbertoC wrote: Blitzkrieg will come out on November 10th!
Is noted! :D
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

Seeing as hairs are being split here, clip is the wrong nomenclature in connection with mention of the MP40 as well as innumerable other individual weapons. Whether banana shaped or straight, it's a magazine. My Drill Instructor at Parris Island would have whacked me if I called a magazine a clip. Funny how that improves ones memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_(firearms)

Return to “Order of Battle Series”