Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:55 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by Andy2012 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:51 pm

Chodan wrote:Seeing as hairs are being split here, clip is the wrong nomenclature in connection with mention of the MP40 as well as innumerable other individual weapons. Whether banana shaped or straight, it's a magazine. My Drill Instructor at Parris Island would have whacked me if I called a magazine a clip. Funny how that improves ones memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_(firearms)
Well, uh, Gomer Pyle, Semper Fi. :lol:

To be honest, I don't care that much about declarations of war, machine guns and pistols and whether the devs fly nazi flags and SS runes in our faces. As long as the DLC is stable, fun and done diligently, I am happy and will pay for it. I just stumbled across these things in my excitement and anxiety about another FUBAR release.

calmhatchery
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by calmhatchery » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:00 pm

Hello again! Can developers can change this picture? I discoverded specialization "WAFFEN SS". It is before the Grece scenario and we have APRIL 1941. So I thought that Waffen SS units should be in black uniforms and without the skis!!! maybe in the winter on the eastern front unit can be switch for the winter camouflage (maybe in the future it would be specialization "Winter gear or camouflage etc"
Attachments
Waffen SS.jpg
Waffen SS.jpg (242.61 KiB) Viewed 2477 times

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by kondi754 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:13 pm

There served several thousand volunteers from Norway in Division Wiking during WW2 but skiing is a big exaggeration :!: :? Div Wiking was motorised unit in 1941, not Gebirgsjager :!: Armored troops had black uniforms but the uniforms of the Waffen SS did not differ much than the uniforms of the Wehrmacht, in addition to use of camouflage blouses with hood imposed on the uniform. Their color was brownish-green.
Please change this bizzare icon :!: :!: :!: :shock:

DirkW
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by DirkW » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:51 am

All German Infantry Units need some rework! The rifle man shots his winchester, the MP guy with the banana Magazin, the tripod browning, engineers with silly hats? The SS with ski is just the top of the mountain.

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by kondi754 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 am

Post by DirkW » 03 Nov 2016 08:51
All German Infantry Units need some rework! The rifle man shots his winchester, the MP guy with the banana Magazin, the tripod browning, engineers with silly hats? The SS with ski is just the top of the mountain.
Maybe it is Sturmgewehr 44. :lol:
There were some SS ski units but not Wiking.

calmhatchery
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by calmhatchery » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:58 am

we as a game players want only to make this game the best if it can possible...

DirkW
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by DirkW » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:55 am

No, the Modell makes it quite clear: it´s an HK MP5 with short barrel!

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:55 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by Andy2012 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:31 am

kondi754 wrote:
Post by DirkW » 03 Nov 2016 08:51
All German Infantry Units need some rework! The rifle man shots his winchester, the MP guy with the banana Magazin, the tripod browning, engineers with silly hats? The SS with ski is just the top of the mountain.
Maybe it is Sturmgewehr 44. :lol:
There were some SS ski units but not Wiking.
Let's be fair, guys. The tanks and artillery look amazing. Even though the infantry looks a lot like the devs have been cutting corners by reusing models again and again, I can understand that this is still a beta. However, I fear that all of this will end up in the final DLC as well. I think that reusing animations for flamethrowers, grenades and rifle shots is okay. However, some model updates in terms of uniforms (e.g. German field grey, camouflage hoods) would be nice. More like a spray paint do-over instead of a totally new model.

Most important thing is still stability, balancing and mission design which cumulatively creates immersion. I think bland briefings are a big drag on the whole experience, too. (I know, voice acting is expensive.) Panzer Corps' Afrikakorps was such a brilliant expansion mostly because it felt unique. Mission design was varied, briefings had nice voice acting and you always felt like fighting an uphill battle understaffed. (Which the Afrikakorps did.) With OOB, I have amazing graphics and a unique supply system, but some essentials get dropped. It does not make a difference whether I play US, Japan, Russia or Germany. Missions feel repetitive sometimes. Some stand out, like Bataan Defense, Suomussalmi and Raate Road. Others are just annoying and badly balanced. And the whole experience could be easily upgraded with more mission events with added photographs - these work great but are used way too sparingly. Units and leaders could be made way more unique with these events. Mostly, they feel replacable and the discounted upgrades with various unit types do not match up to the Panzer Corps experience of coddling your core units. I'll stop now, but this game has so much underused potential that it sometimes hurts.

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by kondi754 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:12 am

Andy2012 wrote:
kondi754 wrote:
Post by DirkW » 03 Nov 2016 08:51
All German Infantry Units need some rework! The rifle man shots his winchester, the MP guy with the banana Magazin, the tripod browning, engineers with silly hats? The SS with ski is just the top of the mountain.
Maybe it is Sturmgewehr 44. :lol:
There were some SS ski units but not Wiking.
Let's be fair, guys. The tanks and artillery look amazing. Even though the infantry looks a lot like the devs have been cutting corners by reusing models again and again, I can understand that this is still a beta. However, I fear that all of this will end up in the final DLC as well. I think that reusing animations for flamethrowers, grenades and rifle shots is okay. However, some model updates in terms of uniforms (e.g. German field grey, camouflage hoods) would be nice. More like a spray paint do-over instead of a totally new model.

Most important thing is still stability, balancing and mission design which cumulatively creates immersion. I think bland briefings are a big drag on the whole experience, too. (I know, voice acting is expensive.) Panzer Corps' Afrikakorps was such a brilliant expansion mostly because it felt unique. Mission design was varied, briefings had nice voice acting and you always felt like fighting an uphill battle understaffed. (Which the Afrikakorps did.) With OOB, I have amazing graphics and a unique supply system, but some essentials get dropped. It does not make a difference whether I play US, Japan, Russia or Germany. Missions feel repetitive sometimes. Some stand out, like Bataan Defense, Suomussalmi and Raate Road. Others are just annoying and badly balanced. And the whole experience could be easily upgraded with more mission events with added photographs - these work great but are used way too sparingly. Units and leaders could be made way more unique with these events. Mostly, they feel replacable and the discounted upgrades with various unit types do not match up to the Panzer Corps experience of coddling your core units. I'll stop now, but this game has so much underused potential that it sometimes hurts.
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you. As far as I'm picking on details such as bad choice of commanders or underdeveloped models of some units or non-compliance with the some historical facts, when it comes to gameplay mechanics, a variety of scenarios and, above all, use of the potential I am completely on the side of developers. It is necessary to learn the game very well to understand it.
I played every part of OoB 5,6 or more times and I'm in love with this game.
And Blitzkrieg will be brilliant :!: :wink:
Last edited by kondi754 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

calmhatchery
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by calmhatchery » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:14 am

I allowed myself to sketch might look like campaign. Of course this is my point of view only.....:)
First thing: It will be better in the future the make smaller the icon on the world map.
Blitzkrieg campaign
1. Blitzkrieg: september 1939 - december 1941
2. Blitzkrieg Army south: april 1942- december 1943 - parallel
or
3. Blitzkrieg Army north: february 1942- december 1943- parallel
4. Blitzkrieg : january 1944- may 1945 (including Warsaw uprising) - core force from Army south (2.) or army north (3.)
5. Blitzkrieg : western front (june 1944 - may 1945) core force from - III. Italy campaign

Afrika KORPS
I. April 1941 - september 1942 (including to get a CAIR and Alexandria city)
II. october 1942 - May 1943 (defense of Tunis)
III. Italy campaign - june 1943 - may 1944 (the final battle Monte Cassino)
IIIA - alternative campaign what if....until to 1945

Japanese Campaign:
1. against the China after Morning SUN until to september 1945
2. Against the Burma and India until september 1945
3A. Alternative invasion of India what if.....
Attachments
world map kopia.jpg
world map kopia.jpg (210.03 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Last edited by calmhatchery on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by kondi754 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:22 am

calmhatchery wrote:I allowed myself to sketch might look like campaign. Of course this is my point of view only.....:)
First thing: It will be better in the future the make smaller the icon on the world map.
Blitzkrieg campaign
1. Blitzkrieg: september 1939 - december 1941
2. Blitzkrieg Army south: april 1942- december 1943
3. Blitzkrieg Army north: february 1942- december 1943
4. Blitzkrieg : january 1944- may 1945 (including Warsaw uprising)
5. Blitzkrieg : western front (june 1944 - may 1945)

Afrika KORPS
I. April 1941 - september 1942 (including to get a CAIR and Alexandria city)
II. october 1942 - May 1943 (defense of Tunis)
III. Italy campaign - june 1943 - may 1945
IIIA - alternative campaign what if....until to 1945

Japanese Campaign:
1. against the China after Morning SUN until to september 1945
2. Against the Burma and India until september 1945
3A. Alternative invasion what if.....
Good thinking :idea: , I wonder what the developers say.

calmhatchery
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by calmhatchery » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:25 am

thanks !! :) ...I was already thinking about it for a few weeks

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:55 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by Andy2012 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:45 pm

kondi754 wrote:
Andy2012 wrote:
kondi754 wrote: Let's be fair, guys. The tanks and artillery look amazing. Even though the infantry looks a lot like the devs have been cutting corners by reusing models again and again, I can understand that this is still a beta. However, I fear that all of this will end up in the final DLC as well. I think that reusing animations for flamethrowers, grenades and rifle shots is okay. However, some model updates in terms of uniforms (e.g. German field grey, camouflage hoods) would be nice. More like a spray paint do-over instead of a totally new model.

Most important thing is still stability, balancing and mission design which cumulatively creates immersion. I think bland briefings are a big drag on the whole experience, too. (I know, voice acting is expensive.) Panzer Corps' Afrikakorps was such a brilliant expansion mostly because it felt unique. Mission design was varied, briefings had nice voice acting and you always felt like fighting an uphill battle understaffed. (Which the Afrikakorps did.) With OOB, I have amazing graphics and a unique supply system, but some essentials get dropped. It does not make a difference whether I play US, Japan, Russia or Germany. Missions feel repetitive sometimes. Some stand out, like Bataan Defense, Suomussalmi and Raate Road. Others are just annoying and badly balanced. And the whole experience could be easily upgraded with more mission events with added photographs - these work great but are used way too sparingly. Units and leaders could be made way more unique with these events. Mostly, they feel replacable and the discounted upgrades with various unit types do not match up to the Panzer Corps experience of coddling your core units. I'll stop now, but this game has so much underused potential that it sometimes hurts.
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you. As far as I'm picking on details such as bad choice of commanders or underdeveloped models of some units or non-compliance with the some historical facts, when it comes to gameplay mechanics, a variety of scenarios and, above all, use of the potential I am completely on the side of developers. It is necessary to learn the game very well to understand it.
I played every part of OoB 5,6 or more times and I'm in love with this game.
And Blitzkrieg will be brilliant :!: :wink:
Wow, you have some serious dedication to OOB (and a lot of time at your hands) to replay it that often.
However, if you read my post closely, I dont care that much for minor details and historical inaccuracies. The gameplay mechanics are also decent (and pretty easy to grasp). Rather, I think that some more dev time spent on immersion would be great. More mission events with historical photographs, leaders with a background story etc. I mean, the supply system offers unique opportunities to make Blitzkrieg feel like the actual thing: Capture enemy supply depots, cut their lines of communication and then starve out and overrun a numerically superior force. Cant do that in Panzer Corps. But I think we can agree that this is still a great game, right?

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 4510
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: United States

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by bru888 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:58 pm

I'm between Andy and kondi in that, while I agree with Andy in that "I dont care that much for minor details and historical inaccuracies," I'm with kondi in that my immersion in OOB is just fine.

Now, that does not mean that there could not be some improvements in both aspects. Hey, they're getting rid of the European palm trees, aren't they? And I'm sure any Waffen SS units in Blitzkrieg will lose the skis. But the fact that they are using the same three-soldier model for infantry units does not bother me in the least.

As far as gameplay improvements, again, I am not an indiscriminate fanboy. I am saying that I think OOB is doing okay so far in terms of sustained interest and replayability. Yet, I welcome the upcoming improvements in Blitzkrieg: carry-over Core and the new Specialization system.

What would really boost game interest: Skirmish Mode.
- Bru

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by kondi754 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Andy2012 wrote:
Wow, you have some serious dedication to OOB (and a lot of time at your hands) to replay it that often.
However, if you read my post closely, I dont care that much for minor details and historical inaccuracies. The gameplay mechanics are also decent (and pretty easy to grasp). Rather, I think that some more dev time spent on immersion would be great. More mission events with historical photographs, leaders with a background story etc. I mean, the supply system offers unique opportunities to make Blitzkrieg feel like the actual thing: Capture enemy supply depots, cut their lines of communication and then starve out and overrun a numerically superior force. Cant do that in Panzer Corps. But I think we can agree that this is still a great game, right?
But my point is that in this game you can do most of the things about which you write. I think that the capturing of supply depots will be the target during the African campaign because there were such realities. In the Blitzkrieg campaign there will be Kiev Scn where you will have the task to make a huge encirclement maneuver and then prevent breaking out and eliminate all the enemy units.
Panzer Corps is a great game but it is in 4-5th place on my private list of games from Slitherine. :wink:
Post by bru888 » 05 Nov 2016 13:58
I'm between Andy and kondi in that, while I agree with Andy in that "I dont care that much for minor details and historical inaccuracies," I'm with kondi in that my immersion in OOB is just fine.

Now, that does not mean that there could not be some improvements in both aspects. Hey, they're getting rid of the European palm trees, aren't they? And I'm sure any Waffen SS units in Blitzkrieg will lose the skis. But the fact that they are using the same three-soldier model for infantry units does not bother me in the least.

As far as gameplay improvements, again, I am not an indiscriminate fanboy. I am saying that I think OOB is doing okay so far in terms of sustained interest and replayability. Yet, I welcome the upcoming improvements in Blitzkrieg: carry-over Core and the new Specialization system.

What would really boost game interest: Skirmish Mode.
It seems to me that I wrote exactly the same things a few posts earlier. :)

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:55 pm

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by Andy2012 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:41 pm

kondi754 wrote:
Andy2012 wrote:
Wow, you have some serious dedication to OOB (and a lot of time at your hands) to replay it that often.
However, if you read my post closely, I dont care that much for minor details and historical inaccuracies. The gameplay mechanics are also decent (and pretty easy to grasp). Rather, I think that some more dev time spent on immersion would be great. More mission events with historical photographs, leaders with a background story etc. I mean, the supply system offers unique opportunities to make Blitzkrieg feel like the actual thing: Capture enemy supply depots, cut their lines of communication and then starve out and overrun a numerically superior force. Cant do that in Panzer Corps. But I think we can agree that this is still a great game, right?
But my point is that in this game you can do most of the things about which you write. I think that the capturing of supply depots will be the target during the African campaign because there were such realities. In the Blitzkrieg campaign there will be Kiev Scn where you will have the task to make a huge encirclement maneuver and then prevent breaking out and eliminate all the enemy units.
Panzer Corps is a great game but it is in 4-5th place on my private list of games from Slitherine. :wink:
Post by bru888 » 05 Nov 2016 13:58
I'm between Andy and kondi in that, while I agree with Andy in that "I dont care that much for minor details and historical inaccuracies," I'm with kondi in that my immersion in OOB is just fine.

Now, that does not mean that there could not be some improvements in both aspects. Hey, they're getting rid of the European palm trees, aren't they? And I'm sure any Waffen SS units in Blitzkrieg will lose the skis. But the fact that they are using the same three-soldier model for infantry units does not bother me in the least.

As far as gameplay improvements, again, I am not an indiscriminate fanboy. I am saying that I think OOB is doing okay so far in terms of sustained interest and replayability. Yet, I welcome the upcoming improvements in Blitzkrieg: carry-over Core and the new Specialization system.

What would really boost game interest: Skirmish Mode.
It seems to me that I wrote exactly the same things a few posts earlier. :)
I guess we all agree that OoB is great. (Even though the initial tech issues annoyed me a lot, especially for that price.) I always appreciated Panzercorps for its simplicity in that respect.
The thing with "you can already do that" is - yes, you can. But you could integrate it in the mission design even more. For example, make a victory without cutting supplies virtually impossible. Hopefully, Blitzkrieg will change that. And an OoB Afrikakorps will be even better - I mean, supply issues were THE thing in that theater. The siege of Tobruk or Dash to the Wire and El-Agheila are just made for the OoB supply system. This will be sooo good. 8)

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by kondi754 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:00 pm

I totally agree with you. :)

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 4510
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: United States

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by bru888 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:44 pm

kondi754 wrote: Panzer Corps is a great game but it is in 4-5th place on my private list of games from Slitherine. :wink:
I've been seeing references to PC in these forums and will be checking that game out soon. I know it's different from OOB in being more tile-oriented*, but I figure that my game shelf can handle both types of games. Can you tell me about the other Slitherine games in your top 4 or 5?

*EDIT: By "tile-oriented," I mean (I think; I'm just going by screen prints) that PC is less animation, more hex-grid/tile counter movement. Unit detail and information appear to be extraordinary, though.
- Bru

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by kondi754 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:21 pm

bru888 wrote:
kondi754 wrote: Panzer Corps is a great game but it is in 4-5th place on my private list of games from Slitherine. :wink:
I've been seeing references to PC in these forums and will be checking that game out soon. I know it's different from OOB in being more tile-oriented*, but I figure that my game shelf can handle both types of games. Can you tell me about the other Slitherine games in your top 4 or 5?

*EDIT: By "tile-oriented," I mean (I think; I'm just going by screen prints) that PC is less animation, more hex-grid/tile counter movement. Unit detail and information appear to be extraordinary, though.
There you go, my TOP 5 :D
(of course I think about a whole game series)

1-2. Battle Academy
Order of Battle
3. Decisive Campaign: Barbarossa
4. Panzer Corps
5. Unity of Command

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 4510
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: United States

Re: Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - German units preview!

Post by bru888 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks! I'll look into them. I just bought PC in the meantime . . .
- Bru

Post Reply

Return to “Order of Battle Series”