Panzer Corps Tournament - The Quarter Finals!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Hansstory
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Panzer Corps Tournament - The Quarter Finals!

Post by Hansstory »

We are trudging along. Making some progress. My opponent has the advantage. Can I turn it around?
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

So far only one match has been completed! How are the others going guys?
Hansstory
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Hansstory »

I just surrendered on turn 14 to misterno. Good game, great tournament! Let's do another one in a few months! Thanks guys.
Striped_Soul
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Striped_Soul »

Hansstory wrote:I just surrendered on turn 14 to misterno. Good game, great tournament! Let's do another one in a few months! Thanks guys.
Any screenshots or replay,please? :)
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Hello everyone!

Just got to the office, and if I'm not mistaken all matches were completed :)

EsgibtKeinBier vs Striped_Soul ---> Striped Soul WON
HansStory vs Misterno ----> Misterno WON
Caca vs MarkTK36thIL ----> Caca WON
Goose 2 vs Braccada ----> Goose 2 WON

I'll go through the reports again in the course of today and see if everything is ok, and then publish the details for the semifinals some time today :) Thank you all for your diligence in reporting the results
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

I would be curious which side won, Soviets or the Germans.
Mine was the Germans, I will be posting the day by day I sent to Braccada about our match when I get into work.
It was a great time, and I am looking forward to playing Caca as if memory serves me right, we have played before. (Not in a tournament though) ;)
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

OK Here is the breakdown day by day and some after thoughts based on my playthrough with Braccada which he should be posting at some point on his great youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/braccada

Sorry it is so massive :shock: :? :oops:

Frozen North Strategy against Braccada
Day 1: Concentrating purchases in the North and center.
This may be a misstake, but we shall see. In North I bought 4 Mt Inf around Froslair. Around Northern Snowy Village moved SU-76, SU-85, and IS-2 bought IS-2, ISU-122, and SU-100.
In Center around Snowy Village bought Conscript, Guards 43, 2 SP-T-18's, ISU-122, SU-100, and OT-34.
Pressuring Snowy Village in Lower Center with 2 T-34/85's backed by ISU-122, and bought Conscript at lower Center snowy Village.
In the far South just moved units.

Day 2 ai CA: Braccada seized Lower Center Snowy Village and Junction City. King Tiger and Pz4H destroyed my T-34/85.
Day 2 Snowy: I destroyed Pz4H and Wehrmacht in Junction City in order to seize Junction City. In Far North destroyed Mt. Inf but it cost my IS-2 -5.
Ok, I am still pushing hard North but now focusing on holding Junction City for an easy win.
Bought ISU-122 to replace lost T-34/85. Tried maneuvering further Southern units to prevent mischief from Braccada.

Day 3 ai CA: Braccada uses his air to great effect and at least takes nicks at my forces. He used Jgd4/48 and Panther to destroy my Sp-T-18. He used JagdTiger and inf to destroy my other T-34/85. Used Pz4H and recon to destroy my recon. My 2 SU-100's took major damage from his big dog units. (These actions forced me to think long and hard on my next actions)
Day 3 Cloudy: Bought 5 reg reps to IS-2. Destroyed reg inf and pt boat. Pushed back Grenadier to seize Snowy Vilage (9,19) Keeping Junction City with Guards, bought 3 reg reps for pressured SU-100. I backed off Northern SU-100, and maneuvered units to better positions, bought M3A1 Scout Car and 2 Conscripts to replace lost units.

Day 4 ai CA: Braccada destroyed my Mt. Inf in mountains. He almost destroyed my Light Cruiser. SP-t-18 and SU-85 almost destroyed. Center SU-100 destroyed. :(
Day 4 Sunny: Destroyed Pz4 in the South. YES!! Destroyed JgPz48 AT. Destroyed 2 Mt Troops in the North. (This is the round I needed to take and seize the initiative.)
My Northern assault is going very well as I see they only have 4 units in the North. (This confirmed my Northern assault was the right gamble to play)
Bought 7 reps for arty and a few other minor replacements, 6 for SU-85, and 5 for SU-100.
Bought another M3A1 Scout Car to try and trap JagdTiger and one in the center. (These JagdTigers are extremely hard to kill.)

Day 5 ai CA: Braccada skillfully destroyed 1 of my M3A1 Scout Cars and pushed out then destroyed one of my Guards units in Junction City now putting a lot of pressure on Snowy Village (9,19)
Day 5 Snowy: What to do? :? Pushed away 1 unit from Snowy Village in order to be able to build needed replacements for my Conscript. Destroyed Volkstrum and Grenadier next to Junction City! That was awesome! Yes!!!
Also destroyed Grenadier next to Snowy Village (5,9) so I could pressure that place.
Trying to push in the North but IS-2 was damaged severely. I could lose that Big Dog. :oops: Moving all my Mt. Inf's in the Mountains.

Day 6 ai CA: A lot of attacks but no losses. I was worried about my IS-2, and not sure why he didn't try and destroy it but I am glad he didn't.
Day 6 Sunny: Destroyed reg inf near Junction City and Volksstrum. I am continuing to bring my Mt. Troops around in the North but Snowdin is well protected. I am trying to bolster the cneter while continuing my push in the North while keeping steady in the South.
Seized village (6,13) It has been a good feeling not having any of my units lost but continuing to take his units.

Day 7 ai CA: Braccada destroyed my SU-100 and hit me in several other areas but again no real losses.
Day 7 Snowy: Destroyed 2 Volksstrum and Reg Inf but that is it. Tried pushing back in other areas especially the center but not really successful still pressuring where I can and bought recon around Snowy Village (13,20) to try and stop possible push with his JagdTiger.

Day 8 ai CA: Braccada desztroyed my Conscript and he is now poised to retake Snowy Village (9,19)
Day 8 Snowy: Destroyed 2 Volkstrum units.
Braccada's strong units are doing well but I now have the Center, and almost have all of the North. I am sneaking around to his back side and will start to push in the South. Not sure how he will come back on this one.

Day 9 ai CA: Braccada is throwing everything he can at me in the North and as such destroyed Mt. Troop and Recon.
Day 9: Snowy: In the South I was hoping to sneak a guy into Snowy Village to destroy his Light Cruiser there but he bought a Grenadier. :( In the Center I tried freeing my ISU-152. :? No luck. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! He had a guy near Snowy Village (2,17) that ambushed me. How can he afford all of these units? :? NUTS! NUTS! NUTS!
Bought another arty in the North and Conscript in the Center. My push is not working and Braccada is slowly building strength. Nuts! I only destroyed a Grenadier.

Day 10 ai CA: Braccada destroyed my ISU-122 and OT-34 and is pressing me back. He seized Snowy Village (9,19)
Day 10: Ack! I am being pushed back. Nuts!
Destroyed Volkstrum and pushed back where I could mainly bought replacements including recon in the South and Conscripts in the Center.
My hope is still to overwhelm him in the North and try and pushing him back everywhere else.

Day 11 ai CA: Braccada destroyed my recon, plane, and 2 ISU-122's. :shock: :evil: :cry:
Rough round for me. :(
Day 11 Sunny: In the North I destroyed another Volkstrum and 43 inf. In the South I destroyed a Grenadier, in the center destroyed another inf. I am trying for something in the South, hopefully my coming form every angle overwhelms him, and spreads him thin.

Day 12 ai CA: No destruction. :)
Day 12 Snowy: Pressuring Southern Snowy Village (15,26)
No destruction for me but have JagdTiger out of ammo and trapped.

Day 13 ai CA: Destroyed my Conscript and Mt Inf. and ISU-122. That was brutal...:evil: I am stunned that he bought a JU-88 not the wisest choice, but ok.
Day 13 Cloudy: I am losing some nice stuff. :( :cry: :oops:
He is also slowly building up an unstoppable assault force, but I am still trying for a big push in the North and the South as I am afraid of what is coming in the center.

Day 14 ai CA: Nothing really panned out so: "meh"
Day 14 Snowy: Seized Snowy Village (5,26)
Southern strategy is working. :twisted: Destroyed Volksstrum in the North and I am realizing that I will be taking Snowdin in the North it is just a matter of time.

Day 15 ai CA: Did not write it down. :oops:
Day 15: My assault at Snowy Village (2,7) is being routed moving back.
SHOOT Tiger in the South Seriously!!! :shock:
Took Snowdin and pressuring where I can. My plan is coming together, now I will work on just holding him off.

Day 16 ai CA: Braccada destroyed recon is now pressuring Icen and hit IS-2 in Snowdin.
Day 16 Snowy: Retook Snowy Village (9,19) In North I am solidifying my hold on Snowdin. Bought 1 Conscript in Linost to prevent any possible sneaky Pete. I own this map now. :twisted:

Day 17 ai CA: Destroyed another recon in the South and he is throwing everything he can at Snowdin.
Day 17 Snowy: In North eliminated another Volksstrum and overwhelming remaining forces. :twisted:
Seized Snowy Village (5,19) Destroyed Volkstrum in the Center. In the South I will probably be pushed back, but at this point in the game that will be okay.

Day 18 ai CA: Pressing but no losses.
Day 18 Snowy: Destroyed Wespe and StuH in North and mostly working on finishing off those forces.

Day 19 ai CA: South has been reborn for Braccada. He destroyed my Reg inf and Guards.
Day 19: Snowy: North destroyed Wespe and JagdTiger and only have their King Tiger left.
Center is being rebuilt and my South is looking weak.

Day 20 ai CA; Destroyed Conscript in the Center.
Day 20 Snowy: More of the same, but one interesting little battle was my ambushed recon only dealt damage and did not take any. :twisted:

Day 21 ai CA: Braccada pushing hard in the South.
Day 21 Snowy: Destroyed Panther and built a couple of Guards to help in the South.

Day 22 ai CA: Braccada destroyed another Center Conscript.
Day 22 Snowy: Destroyed Panther built a couple of defensive Conscripts.

Day 23 ai CA: Braccada's Southern Strategy is going well.
Day 23 Snowy: Destroyed Kradschutzen in the South and trying to hold back the Center.

Day 24 ai CA: Continuing to press in the center pushing me back. Saw his paratrooper. :?: A little late for that my Friend. :roll:
Day 24 Snowy: Just destroyed Mobelwagen and rebuilt some things, I am just waiting out the clock at this point.

Day 25 ai CA: Brilliant last minute where he decimated at least 3 Conscripts I even see his move with the boats, but again too late.
Day 25 Snowy: Destroyed Grenadier, Mt. Inf., and seized back Snowy Village at (2,17) and retook airfield next to Linost. Pushing back where I can.

Day 26 ai CA: Braccada pushing hard and was able to seize Snowy Village back at (2,17)
Day 26 Sunny: Destroyed Wespe and Mt Troop. Last round

Day 27 ai CA: He tried to push but everywhere held.
Day 27 Snowy: Retook Southern Snowy Village, and it is done.

Final assessment. Frozen North is a gamble, you have to decide early where you are going to concentrate and try and seize that center key objective and deny every attempt at reseizing it. You can choose to focu on the South or the North, but wherever you concentrate you need to commit and try and destroy as many units as much as you can, to build up experience on your units and overwhelm your opponent with their inability to replace them.

Braccada did a fine job saving up for nice German units as the superior German units are tenacious, but my push in the North and his inability to prevent it along with my ability to seize the rest of the North Center allowed me to choke him out of the North and North center. This sealed the deal on the win.

I added some additional thoughts on my purchases after discussing with Braccada:
Always field units. In other words it is better to buy units than leave open slots, the exception was when and if I could buy an IS-2. Anytime I could afford one of those after buying replacements for my beleaguered troops I did. They are my best offensive tool and why I used them so heavily in the North.
My initial purchases of the SU-100 was to use slightly cheaper unit with hard attack hitting power, but I would always prefer the SU-152 for it's hitting power along with it's ability to provide artillery support.

Conscripts, ah Conscripts. When you look at them they look like crap units, but as you discovered they are extremely tenacious as there are so much strength to kill, and because they are cheap you can easily buy reg or even elite replacements for next to nothing. So when they had at least 1 star experience I was buying Elite replacements to retain that experience. Having just 1 star experience doubles that effectiveness of Conscripts, and there were some units I was able to get to 2 stars experience. :twisted: Since they are so cheap ultimately if you lose one, who cares pay 60 and start building up another one, or better yet replace it with an IS-2 as you have saved up enough to buy one, finally.

Planes, are tertiary units at best, especially in Frozen North as it snows most of the time, which I tried warning you about. Making them essentially useless. Same thought's for AA, so I laughed a little when I saw that you had purchased both, although that first appearance of you Ju-88 scared the crap out of me, as I thought my ships were on borrowed time.

In this scenario the artillery that I am so fond of only plays a secondary back up roll. So I tend not to go to heavy on them except when I can afford an SU-152, they are pretty good, although you killed a lot more of them than I was comfortable with losing, especially that round you got 2 of them. You are a beast. :evil: :wink:

That covers most of what I can remember about my purchase thoughts for this particular scenario, at least this time. ;)

About the shoot twice move my moving into ambush on purpose, I had that used on me by some previous players to great effect so I learned to use it in my own attack. I forget who showed me that initially so I am unable to give credit.

This was fun and I look forward to seeing what he does with this on his channel.
goose_2

Striped_Soul
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Striped_Soul »

Well,any news about next round,so far? :D
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Gonna post soon :)
marktk36thil
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by marktk36thil »

Here's a look inside my War Room once Caca slammed head on into my tanks in the first three rounds, knocking out my most expensive units right away. After round 4, I was just clawing to stop hemorrhaging my ground and cities. The snow effectively eliminated about 1700 worth of prestige that I never really got to lose. He's going to finish with a Major Victory. It was a beat down.
pzc.jpg
pzc.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 9030 times
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Which side did he play.
goose_2

caca
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by caca »

goose_2 wrote:Which side did he play.
I played for the USSR, as well as in our game with you.

At least 3 players for the Soviets won.
braccada
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by braccada »

Not surprised. The Soviets have the perfect unit mix at the right cost for this weather. German units without the initiave advantage just cost more. In my game I lost none of my heavies (only in the end, when it had stopped to matter), destroyed a lot of soviet heavies and still got choked by scout cars (model undestructable) and conscripts. I was slow, but I got pushed back hex by hex.
Follow my Grand Let's Play series: Rommel, Manstein and Guderian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=53035
caca
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by caca »

marktk36thil wrote:Here's a look inside my War Room once Caca slammed head on into my tanks in the first three rounds, knocking out my most expensive units right away. After round 4, I was just clawing to stop hemorrhaging my ground and cities. The snow effectively eliminated about 1700 worth of prestige that I never really got to lose. He's going to finish with a Major Victory. It was a beat down.
Well, I also buy aircraft.
I understand that you buy royal tigers. I'm probably the only one who used the anti-tank gun. And a lot of infantry just pilfering pieces tiger of souvenirs. :D
marktk36thil

Post by marktk36thil »

My respect with using the infantry so well, and also using the numerical advantage of running my units out of ammo and then pouncing them with IS-1's and the duel threat Soviet AT/SP vehicles. I overextended way too fast, and did significantly more harm than good.

Once I was fighting to hold ground, my units were "easy" pickings for random AT guns, tanks, and those annoying Soviet aircraft that always seem to multiply just when you had enough of them. The benefit of having King Tigers, can't knock them off easy. Problem with King Tigers, only so much ammo...
braccada

Post by braccada »

If you are interested in seeing me getting destroyed by goose, I will stream the battle report at https://gaming.youtube.com/c/braccada/live

The stream will start 16.11.2016 9:00 UTC+1
Follow my Grand Let's Play series: Rommel, Manstein and Guderian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=53035
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

braccada wrote:If you are interested in seeing me getting destroyed by goose, I will stream the battle report at https://gaming.youtube.com/c/braccada/live

The stream will start 16.11.2016 9:00 UTC+1
Man I wish I could so watch this
Not allowed at work :(

Oh well I will anxiously wait for you to post it to your channel. ;)
goose_2

Return to “News & Announcements”