Nestor's Spearmen

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

ochoin
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Nestor's Spearmen

Post by ochoin »

For the Later Mycenaeans in the "Swifter Than Eagles" book, an optional troop type are Nestor's Spears.

I've opted to add 2 BGs (just finished) to my army. This means 2 X 6 bases of Heavy Defensive Spears (Protected) with a third rank of 3 bases of medium archers.
I've done this partly because the Mycenaean list is, frankly, a little dull with few different troop types & partly because I think that such a formation would make a rock solid defensive flank.

Clearly, they'd tend to be slow & unwieldy but once in position they could soak up lots of punishment & be able to inflict pain on most of those doing the attacks.

That's my reasoning.......so, what haven't I considered?
ochoin

Re: Nestor's Spearmen

Post by ochoin »

So good? Bad? Indifferent?

How would you raise a Mycenaean army?
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

You got it right and you need two of them. They can take shooting well even though only protected and hold up in combat well.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
Vespasian28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Vespasian28 »

Well, here's how I raised mine a couple of years ago including the two units of Nestor's spearmen as Phil suggested. Dismounting some of the charioteers and using Achilles' Myrmidons gives some punch.

http://www.wessexwargamessociety.co.uk/ ... php?tid=16
Intothevalley
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Intothevalley »

Vespasian28 wrote:Well, here's how I raised mine a couple of years ago including the two units of Nestor's spearmen as Phil suggested. Dismounting some of the charioteers and using Achilles' Myrmidons gives some punch.

http://www.wessexwargamessociety.co.uk/ ... php?tid=16
Thanks very much for this, I've just bought a load of OG Mycenaeans and was wondering how to paint them, very timely! I think your figures look very good.

And how have you found using the army btw if I may ask?
ochoin

Post by ochoin »

Yes, excellent account & photos.

And I'll also ask for tips on using the Late Mycs.
Vespasian28

Post by Vespasian28 »

I usually anchor one flank with Nestor and keep the other with a good portion of chariots but not an attacking wing. The attacking is done by the infantry as offensive Spears(in FOGAM) are pretty good against most historical opponents. Further strengthen the line with the Myrmidons and one dismounted unit of charioteers. If you get lots of terrrain dismount more of the charioteers; expensive but very good even at that price.

Won all but the last game against Hebrews who sent their chariots in against the spearmen and did very well as MF in open vulnerable to a mounted charge. Due another game soon so will have to counter that.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”