Gaming in pubs

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Hepius
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Gaming in pubs

Post by Hepius »

Do you guys (I'm referring to the folks who live on that group of islands across the pond) actually game in pubs? I see lots of references to pubs in your club and tournament announcements. I have built this image in my head of 500 year old pubs with oak beams and low ceilings and guys drinking Guiness while wargaming. Which all seems pretty cool.

Where I live, we don't have pubs. We have bars. And if you tried wargaming in one (even in some back room) some knuckledraggers would eventually find you out and beat the snot out of you.

My experience is mostly playing in basements, hidden away from the light of day (and the rest of "normal" society).

Just curious.

Hep
Andy1972
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Andy1972 »

lol, i work at a bar.(i DJ) the tables arnt big enough for FoG.. you wont get your arse kicked.. but you would have alot of drunks watching.. probably spilling their beer on your figs. :lol:
Po-tae-toes! Mash 'em up and put 'em in a stew!
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

I have attended wargames tournaments where the club room (normally an upstairs function room with a small bar) was not big enough so the tournament overflowed into the main pub downstairs.

There is a lot to be said for gaming in pubs :D

Plenty of wargaming tournaments here are played with a bar in the same or an adjacent room. There is good reason that the GB wargaming team are renowned drinkers.
carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos »

The informal Central London Wargames Club has always met at a pub, usually in the function rooms of said places where you can have some privacy and quiet. Recently there were some suggestions of moving to a hall without bar or booze and it was firmly rejected.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

The first club I went to was in a pub. I was 14.
Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy »

Does this account for either

a) A life long love of gaming

b) A life long love of beer

c) Or both ?
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

No, it accounts for my long criminal record
daleivan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by daleivan »

Some of my gaming friends here in Portland having been meeting every Sunday at a local bar/restaurant to play Wings of War--pushing little plastic plane models is probably an easier sell at an establishment with no back room. The guys make sure to tip the waitresses early and often :wink:

Cheers,

Dale
CrazyHarborc
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by CrazyHarborc »

Pub???.....drink that evil strong devil's swill while wargaming?? :shock: Don't play in bars/pubs around here. We Americans have been known ,well SOME of us, have been known to have a brew or three whilest a gaming. :twisted: Sadly my opponrnts don't become "in a condition to make poor decisions" while gaming. :?

Most of my historical games are in basements, those basements do contain refrigerators......Some of them might contain beers :wink:
Probert
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Probert »

I have been in the back/semi-private rooms of sports bar type place for several radio type events, and a group of friends meets there for a fantasy football draft every year. As long as you did not want the space on Friday night, Saturday or Sunday afternoon I am sure the management would be fine with gaming in the back room.

Gaming can frankly be improved with beer and wings.
Later Carthaginians (853 pts)
Medieval Swedish (591 pts)
Later Achm'd Persian (424 pts)
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Gaming can frankly be improved with beer and wings
Depends what you get your wings for. ? .
kevinkins
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by kevinkins »

I live near Red Bank NJ USA and there is a local working class bar in which chess is played a lot. We never get hassled. I bet if I set up a wargame there would only be the problem of finding another player - the pub tables could handle PB or ASL medium size board games or a hot seat PC game on a lap top. Although I might fear for my laptop during football.

Kevin
pbrandon
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by pbrandon »

The Halifax club meets in the function room of a social club. It may not sound as glamorous as a pub, but the drinks are cheaper and in contrast to our last venue, which was a room at a pub, most of the light fittings have bulbs.

Paul
Darcy5
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Gaming in pubs

Post by Darcy5 »

Can you please suggest me best sports bar nyc venue where we can enjoy with our friends? I want to reserve a bar where we can party hard please suggest if you have some idea?
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

I'm scared saying this, but I think you may be in the wrong forum Darcy
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
Tokhuah
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Tokhuah »

I didn't realize Necromancy existed in historic war games?
suck it
spike
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by spike »

Unlike some of my UK bretheren, I find "tea" is more important than "beer" during gaming...
...............but I'm strange like that (and I don't even put milk in it!)
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin

A fool and his money are soon elected.
Will Rogers

Pitty the fool!!!
Mr T
nickdives

Post by nickdives »

The Hong Kong club used to meet in the Mariners Hotel, cold beer and burgers bought straight to the table! In the 90s early 2000s the Rhinedahlen club in German was next to the bowling alley, had to fetch your own burgers, beer in the fridges and the South Somerset Wargames Group have played in various pubs, usually the skittles alleys or function rooms, very civilised!
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

nickdives wrote:cold beer and burgers bought straight to the table!
Bloody hell. Can't anyone get anything right on this planet? Are Aussies the only ones?

Britain = Warm Beer.
Hong Kong = Cold Burgers.
Australia = Cold beer and warm burgers!

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”