What do people think of Sanctus Reach?

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

What do people think of Sanctus Reach?

Post by AlbertoC »

Sanctus Reach came out last Thursday and plenty of people have already had occasion to try the game and voice their opinions. Many online sites and popular youtubers reviewed the game, and we collected some of the reviews that we feel best express the notable aspects of the game.

Let’s start with some online reviews. Gamewatcher gives it a solid 8 out of 10. Their top game moment was “taking down an Ork Boss with just an average Bloodclaw squad thanks to some nice critical hits”.

Gameskinny greatly appreciated one specific aspect of the game in particular: “Speaking of the armies, this is by far the most diverse unit selection I've seen to date in a 40K game”.

BigBossBattle’s reviewer is fairly new to the Warhammer 40,000 universe, but he was still able to understand the core mechanics and enjoy himself. “Overall Sanctus Reach is a finely built turn-based strategy game from a proven publisher and a promising developer combo”.

Many youtubers and streamers tried Sanctus Reach. We already featured cornerstones of the Warhammer 40,000 Youtube community like Chapter Master Valrak and Arch Warhammer. There are many other really good videos out there, but here’s a few which really captured our attention: check out the videos by FilthyRobot , SplatterCatGaming and SurrealBeliefs!

“Hours and hours of gameplay in the single player alone.” - Cosmic Engine
“They've perfectly digitized the tabletop models.” - Lionheartx10
“It is really solid and allows for player creativity to flourish” - GuyLogicGaming

The game has currently 89% positive reviews on Steam, and we are happy to see that most people liked it!

It’s important for us to gather all kind of feedback, and we do listen to criticism – in fact we’re keeping a log of everyone’s opinions. But we’ll give you more specific details about how we plan to follow your advice in the future!
ImperialGrunt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: What do people think of Sanctus Reach?

Post by ImperialGrunt »

Happy to hear the game is doing well and I really appreciate that last paragraph. Thanks for an excellent wargame!
ARturAGniesia
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by ARturAGniesia »

The Sanctus Reach is really great, addictive game. I can't stop to play in it. The gameplay, graphics, vibe - form me it's the best equivalent of Dawn of War and the best imitation of board game. Of, course I have something to complain, but at this moment - thanks a lot for developers for the game. :D :D :D
Moonreaver
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Moonreaver »

I freaking LOVE this game. Amazing job guys! I cannot wait for more content, and what I hope to see is a long relationship with you all and game works where you do every chapter, race, etc, etc.

Omg, I would love a Horus Heresy game (And not that horrible card game one), but a real one set in the 30k done well by you guys.

Anyways could not be happier.

Cannot wait for more content.
Fridgeworks

Post by Fridgeworks »

I never buy games at full price and I rarely go on the forums for games I play.

I've done both for Sanctus Reach :)

Loved the concept and I'm pleased to say it's not let me down!

It's pretty faithful to the tabletop as I remember it (with a few changes, quite like the option of firing into assault and accidentally hitting your own guys due to LOS).
The units and environments look pretty great, like painted minatures.
I'm pleased to say it works well with the steam controller and both my main rig and smaller PC (higher settings work well on even a 560ti)

Really like the e-mail alerts and multiplayer, reminds of when I used to play frozen synapse.

The only real grumbles I have are:
-The interface is a little clunky in places, not game-breaking but making it more "controller friendly" would be great for us steam controller guys. One area is the unit info screen, a key toggle for this would be great (If I've missed an already existing one let me know, as so far I think you have to go through the interface for it).
-On my dual-screen setup, the intro movie flickers.
-There's no workshop support, for campaigns (and custom units) this would be a nice addition.

Other than that there's not much I have to complain about! Just opened it up today and seen the lengthy 1.02 patch notes, nice to see the devs are attentive :)

Overall very happy!

Hopefully you guys add more factions in the future, would love to see imperial guard (or the Adepta Sororitas, if I'm lucky)
bcnkor5
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by bcnkor5 »

AlbertoC wrote:Sanctus Reach came out last Thursday and plenty of people have already had occasion to try the game and voice their opinions. Many online sites and popular youtubers reviewed the game, and we collected some of the reviews that we feel best express the notable aspects of the game.

Let’s start with some online reviews. Gamewatcher gives it a solid 8 out of 10. Their top game moment was “taking down an Ork Boss with just an average Bloodclaw squad thanks to some nice critical hits”.

Gameskinny greatly appreciated one specific aspect of the game in particular: “Speaking of the armies, this is by far the most diverse unit selection I've seen to date in a 40K game”.

BigBossBattle’s reviewer is fairly new to the Warhammer 40,000 universe, but he was still able to understand the core mechanics and enjoy himself. “Overall Sanctus Reach is a finely built turn-based strategy game from a proven publisher and a promising developer combo”.

Many youtubers and streamers tried Sanctus Reach. We already featured cornerstones of the Warhammer 40,000 Youtube community like Chapter Master Valrak and Arch Warhammer. There are many other really good videos out there, but here’s a few which really captured our attention: check out the videos by FilthyRobot , SplatterCatGaming and SurrealBeliefs!

“Hours and hours of gameplay in the single player alone.” - Cosmic Engine
“They've perfectly digitized the tabletop models.” - Lionheartx10
“It is really solid and allows for player creativity to flourish” - GuyLogicGaming

The game has currently 89% positive reviews on Steam, and we are happy to see that most people liked it!

It’s important for us to gather all kind of feedback, and we do listen to criticism – in fact we’re keeping a log of everyone’s opinions. But we’ll give you more specific details about how we plan to follow your advice in the future!
-----------------------------------

My opinion: Very Good 3D game, but it is necessary to add more races like DLCs like for example the
Tyranids, Necrons, Chaos, Tau, Eldars.
Attachments
00tyranidcarnifex.jpg
00tyranidcarnifex.jpg (110.57 KiB) Viewed 13312 times
JPLOZ
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JPLOZ »

I really like this game. It is hard to stop playing. The graphics are great. Not that it makes scientific sense. It is like playing 18th-19th century combat with very neat weapons. But it's supposed to be fantasy. It is very good fantasy and really fun to play.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

The units look good especially the bigger ones, and the sounds of the weapons are satisfying.
5hr00mY

Post by 5hr00mY »

Good job guys. The battles are loads of fun, and the combat system of: Movement, action points, etc works very well.

The modelling and texturing of the units is very nice, but the battlefields are a little bit bland and (other than some memorable instances) uninspiring. I think this could be improved with more, and more varied, terrain pieces for cover - not just 1x1 squares, but 2x2 and 3x3 craters (artillery, orbital bombardment). More terrain types, snow springs to mind with SW (granted - I haven't played the final campaign yet, so I may not have seen them all). And please, a graphical option to add more colour saturation to the maps, or remove the washed-out look (an option because some people like it. I rarely have in any kind of game, though it's not as bad as motion blur).

One thing I really enjoy about the maps is how dynamic they are with wrecks, and destructible cover, and grenade effects - it's working really well. Take it even further; if three Whirlwind strikes hit the same tile, it becomes a crater. If two units die on the same tile the same turn it becomes a corpse pile (soft cover), etc.

Camera - does the job, but I would like to get much closer to the floor than is permitted, so I can look at the models precisely side-on - not slightly tilted from above. And I would also like to be able to zoom out further, to be able to view at least 60%-70% of the battlefield at once, and the entirety of it on small maps.

Ai - is very Orkish. But a little dopey, even for the likes of them. The first time I saw Orks fire through and rip apart a squad of gretchin, I thought it was on purpose - and a nice nod to the fluff. But when they fired through other Orks, I noticed the Ai, and one never should. Also, they can't use KK's properly. There is also a little bit of running around with no reason. It's ok for gretchin to do this, but not Orks - unless actually fleeing. If you are considering adding new factions, Tyranid, Chaos and Imperial guard would be the ones most suited to the current Ai - the others would require an improvement. On the other end of the scale Eldar, who would probably need the best Ai to stand a chance against a human.

I'm going to second 'slightly clunky interface' as well, and I'm using a mouse. Firstly, why on earth aren't the units listed by type, or by cost? It's such a pain. Also, why is there a list to scroll - why can't it all be on screen at once?

Looking forwards to seeing what you do with it.

Return to “News & Announcements”