An introduction to Order of Battle: Kriegsmarine

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

An introduction to Order of Battle: Kriegsmarine

Post by AlbertoC »

Today we have decided to take a more in-depth look at the next DLC in the Order of Battle series: Kriegsmarine.

Why the Kriegsmarine?

Well, mostly three reasons.
First, the upcoming Skirmish Mode has several naval maps available. By giving Germany an extensive roster of naval units, the nation can be also used on these types of maps.
Second, we haven't had meaningful naval combat in any campaign since the release of the original Pacific War content. The Kriegsmarine DLC allows us to revisit this aspect of the game and gives us the opportunity to tweak and add gameplay mechanics to make naval warfare even more exciting.
Third… very few strategy games cover the Kriegsmarine in an extensive way. While its historical role was fairly small in comparison to the air and land battles waged by Germany, it none the less allows us to add a lot of exciting new units, scenarios and features to the game. It is an incredibly fascinating subject, and we felt it’d make for a unique and original DLC.

Unique situations and scenarios.

In the years before the start of the war, the Germans had big plans for their fleet. Through extensive building programs specified in "Plan Z", they envisioned to match the British Royal Navy by 1945. The Kriegsmarine campaign visits alternative history in which these plans are turned into reality.

It starts with historical battles such as the actions around the Norwegian coast, U-boat attacks on Allied convoys and the clashes with the Royal Navy. From there on it moves toward more "what-if" content, offering alternative history where Germany invests much more resources into its Navy. This allows large naval clashes with both the British and American navies toward the end of the campaign, as well as the possibility to build a powerful carrier fleet.

Fw 200, CV Jade, AV Greif, Bf 109 T, CL Königsberg, DD Type 1934, Ar 196, CV Graf Zeppelin, Ju 87 C

Original challenges.

Because the amount of units is lower than in land-based scenarios, each ship plays a vital role. And while land units can receive reinforcements quite easily, repairing a ship requires either the presence of a port or a repair ship. Mistakes that lead to heavy damage or the loss of a capital ship will thus have a big impact on each battle and the campaign as a whole.
The wide-open areas of sea and ocean, covered by fog of war also provide a constant feeling of tension and uncertainly. With the threat of hidden submarine attacks and unexpected carrier-based air strikes the tide of battle can turn quickly. All this adds an exciting game of "hide and seek" to naval warfare, and makes effective reconnaissance vital for success.

New units and mechanics.

One of the new mechanics introduced in this update is that battleships fire their main guns through a special ability. While the default attack uses smaller calibre secondary gun armament, this new ability gives access to the high range and massive hitting power of the main battery. Similar to torpedo attacks however, it has a cooldown of one turn, meaning you have to think carefully when to fire the big guns and against what. Combined with different firing animations from both the primary and secondary gun attacks, this certainly makes battleships feel more unique in the upcoming update.
Another one of my personal favorites is the Bussard-class seaplane tender. This ships carries a big crane in the rear and a rail-mounted catapult system along the deck for launching and maintaining large flying boats and floatplanes. It can be used as a sort of "pre-carrier" when combined with Heinkel He 59 floatplanes armed with bombs or torpedoes.

Scharnhorst, Bismarck, He 59, Bussard

Specializing.

The German naval expansion program of Plan Z is one of the unique specializations available in the KM campaign. It increases the amount of deployable naval units in scenarios and adds a one-time resource boost. More importantly however, it unlocks access to both the Flugzeugträger and Schlachtschiffe specializations. The first gives early-war access to the Graf Zeppelin aircraft carrier and carrier-based aircraft types, while the second allows the construction of H-class battleships and O-class battlecruisers to compete with late-war allied counterparts.
To reflect the unreliable German torpedoes in the opening years of the war, a "Torpedo Improvements" ability is also available. This increases the damage potential of all torpedo attacks, bringing them to the same level as the British variants.
Besides these, a whole range of previous specializations such as Flight School, Naval Academy, Drop Tank and Damage Control are also available.

(Support Ship), BB Deutschland, U-boat Type VII, U-boat Type XXI, BB H-class, BC O-class, U-boat Type IX, (BB Bismarck)
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: An introduction to Order of Battle: Kriegsmarine

Post by Erik2 »

Another navy which would fit perfectly in naval skirmishes, is the Italian.
Any hopes of seeing the ships of the Regia Marina?
They even almost had their carriers ready, Aquila and Sparviero.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Don't get me wrong; I am very excited about Kriegsmarine, especially after this introduction. I will be one of your first purchasers.

The eye and mind go to this: The statement that Kriegsmarine is "the opportunity to tweak and add gameplay mechanics to make naval warfare even more exciting."

Presumably there will be a game patch with this new content. What is there to expect, then, for previous DLC? For example, will American and Japanese battleships also gain these new mechanics? If so, will this and other changes affect the gameplay of those earlier DLC?

I already anticipate keeping older versions of OOB, installing patches up to the point where, perhaps, the game diverged from the best version to play those DLC.

Fortunately, and encouragingly, I have played U.S. Pacific, U.S. Marines, Morning Sun, Rising Sun, and now Winter War all with version 2.9.9 and I am quite satisfied with the way they played. In particular the artillery, recalling that debate; I think artillery is just fine now. (Having just finished Viipuri, I see why artillery needed to be toned down a bit. It's still quite effective at what it is supposed to do without being unrealistically powerful.)

Will I feel the same about naval warfare in those earlier DLC after Kriegsmarine and its patch?
- Bru
ikbenrichard
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ikbenrichard »

AlbertoC wrote:Today we have decided to take a more in-depth look at the next DLC in the Order of Battle series: Kriegsmarine.

Why the Kriegsmarine?
Thank you for this !
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I think the naval part is going in the right direction, without revealing details of what I've seen (I'm beta-testing).
If you're moderately interesting in naval warfare, this is a good one.
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 »

Erik wrote:Another navy which would fit perfectly in naval skirmishes, is the Italian.
Any hopes of seeing the ships of the Regia Marina?
They even almost had their carriers ready, Aquila and Sparviero.
I also think the Italian Navy would be a good expansion/DLC.
Erasermarek
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Erasermarek »

Well i hope for DLC with Eastern Front... only Barbarossa (with japs village) its not enough for me :D
bcnkor5
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by bcnkor5 »

[quote="AlbertoC"]Today we have decided to take a more in-depth look at the next DLC in the Order of Battle series:

1-Interesting, but add more things, add the Regia Marina, Italian for battles for control of the Mediterranean.

2-In addition to adding areas of storms or night to be able to escape or release smoke from boats and affect the end result in the conflict at sea.

In the film sink Bismarck, I greatly affect persecuting or escaping Bismarck, where influenced by bad weather, the smoker of the British battleship to escape the Bismarck.

3-Improve thinking times of the game AI, since it is still slow even with good PC equipment.

4-Add a slider to see the full load of aircraft in hangar, improved Changed loading of the carrier and airport, so do charge more Real Aircraft Carrier in the MODs

GER CV Graf Zeppelin 50 planes (20 Me 109T,20Ju 87E,10 Fi 167 Torpedoes).
ENG CV Illustrious fighters 1940: 15 Fulmar and 18 Swordfish = 33 to 57

Example:
CV SUPER Shinano = Better Mod 5 units in hangar (original game 3) =CV SUPER Shinano 120 planes,CV SUPER Midway 130 planes
CV BIG = Better Mod 4 units in hangar (original game 3) = CV KAGA 90 planes,CV Enterprise 90 planes
CV = Better Mod 4 units in hangar (original game 3 load slot) = CV Soriu 71 planes, CV Saratoga 73 planes
CVL = Better Mod 3 units in hangar (original game load slot 2) = CVL Ryujo 36 planes
CVE = Better Mod 2 units in hangar (original game 1 load slot) = CVE Taiyo 27 planes,CVE Casablanca 28
CVE = Better Mod 2 units in hangar (original game 1 load slot) = CVE Avenger 15 planes
Hangar = (original game 6)
Attachments
00Changed loading of the carrier and airport.jpg
00Changed loading of the carrier and airport.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 14513 times
00descarga (1).jpg
00descarga (1).jpg (13.82 KiB) Viewed 14517 times
rocklobb
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by rocklobb »

Is there any way the developers can obtain the rights to use Johnny Horton's "Sink the Bismarck" as background music?
KarisFraMauro
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by KarisFraMauro »

I already asked about this elsewhere but as I've been banging my head against a wall in one dang Kriegsmarine mission figured might as well try here too. The problem is Casablanca. I"m on that mission where you need to scuttle the allied plans for landing troops in Africa, and there's an optional objective to hold at least one french victory point for eight turns. Okay. Problem is, as near as I can tell it's impossible. Tried at least six different times now and never even gotten close. Best I managed was turn 7 with a single infantry still holding Casablanca, with one health, surrounded by FIVE allied soldiers. Nearest air deployment point is on the other side of the map, so useless. Nearest sea deployment point is on the other side of the map, so useless. And I can't even control the two, reduced strength infantry guarding the victory points.

I"m at a total loss here. What am I missing?

Return to “News & Announcements”