Order of Battle: the new Import tool

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Order of Battle: the new Import tool

Post by AlbertoC » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:53 am

Last week we spoke of the specialization system coming with next patch, but today we’re going to talk of something different, something new.

Order of Battle: World War II will have a Import core army tool, allowing linked campaigns in which players can carry over their core armies. The idea is to link together campaigns which will form a larger mega campaign. At first it’ll be only Morning Sun linked with Rising Sun, but we plan to make use of this future as we release more campaigns (for instance, we’ll certainly link the upcoming Blitzkrieg with any future-and-yet-unannounced-but-certainly-coming campaign featuring the Wehrmacht).

How does it work? It’s quite simple. At any point during a campaign (although it’s best if you do it once the campaign has been completed) you’ll be able to select the button Export core from your campaign -> Core army screen. You can then save your Core army.

At that point, start the next campaign. You’ll be prompted with this screen, asking if you intend to import a Core army.

Click yes, and you’ll be able to select which one you’d like to import.

Select the one you want to use, and there you go! Now you’ll start with a set of units carried over from your previous campaign. They are not free, though! You still have to buy them like you’d buy a new unit, but they retain the name and 30% of the experience they had, as if they had been destroyed. That is, naturally, for balance purposes.

That would be all regarding the Import tool, but there’s something else we’d like to show you today. Players who own the Winter War DLC will have access to a unique division in Blitzkrieg, after they research the Waffen SS specialization: I’m talking of the SS Wiking division, a completely unique division unlike any other in the Wehrmacht.

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Order of Battle: the new Import tool

Post by bru888 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:06 am

So, this is not just carrying over your core units from scenario to scenario within one campaign, but from one campaign to another campaign given compatibility, I assume. For example, you would not be importing core units from U.S. Marines to Winter War, of course. Theater of war and the timing of events would have to make sense.
- Bru

bloodphoenix
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by bloodphoenix » Wed May 03, 2017 12:26 am

I realize this is an old thread, so I'm not sure how likely it is that my question will be seen.

I didn't buy OOB when it first came out, so have only really gotten deeply into playing it in the last month or two.
I've just finished the Morning Sun Campaign, which I found very enjoyable, chiefly because I knew so little about the battles in China, so it was all new
and full of surprises. But now I'm finding myself wishing I had chosen to play the "Grand Campaign" in the start. I had assumed that I would be able to
just carry my veteran units from China forward into the later battles in the Pacific. And, with the Import Core Units feature, I suppose I am.

BUT...

Three things bother me.
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the decision to treat the core units as destroyed units that can be returned to active service with a (meager) percentage of their former experience. My five-star Veteran units, filled with confidence from their glorious victory over the Chinese, were not even wounded. They do not understand why they suddenly must endure the dishonor of losing the majority of their hard-won elite status! What is the reasoning behind this?

That being the case, I have a strong suspicion (as yet unconfirmed) that this will also mean that their heroic officers and aces will have disappeared into the ether as well. Why?

Lastly, importing my units (into the cemetery) does not address the question of Specializations. My military has suddenly forgotten technologies that I developed in 1937-39 ??? The exact same specializations now appear on the chart, and I must unlock them again? That makes no sense, truly.

Please help me understand these frustrating game "features".

kverdon
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by kverdon » Wed May 03, 2017 4:21 am

Hey BloodPhoenix,

You have violated the first rule of adopting the OOB series mantra and that is to assume anything in the series follows any sort of "logic". You are much better served by assuming the OOB series exists in a fantasy environment where all sense of history and logic will be sacrificed on the altar of "gameplay".

Closer to the truth is that the concept of "Core Units" and carrying them over from campaign to campaign was not thought of in the OOB series and as such does not lend itself well to the series. Because this was not factored into the game system, your units are allowed to achieve a full 4-5 stars in a single campaign without the consequences of that carrying over to another campaign, unlike the Grand Campaigns in Panzer Corps, where experience was limited to account for the next campaign. Since people who have experienced the concept, and fun, of carrying your core units forward wanted something of the same in OOB, and as it was a square peg hammered into a round hole and since it did not fit, and the devs did not have the resources to make it work, your previous core units get a huge NERF to enable you to carry them forward. This obviously does not work as your core units cannot carry over their experience or specializations to the new campaign. The devs are either unable or unwilling to make the OOB system work as a "Sysem" without the need to nerf your core units to fit their existing playbook.

TripleCP

Post by TripleCP » Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 am

The Grand Campaign was an improvised feature added after the fact to link the Morning Sun DLC to the original Rising Sun campaign. I believe the devs stated that allowing the importing of all Morning Sun core units with all their experience intact made the Rising Sun missions a cakewalk...likewise for allowing you to start a campaign with most or all of the specializations already acquired. From a realism perspective, even if Chiang had been defeated most of the Japanese units in China would have had to stay behind to cope with Communist partisans.
https://www.facebook.com/RussianFront75/

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Wed May 03, 2017 6:18 am

I only wish the imported exp is slightly increased when resurrecting units. When you already have exp boosting specs, like Tank School, only veteran units of 4-5 star have a little advantage, otherwise imported units of less experience also start with lesser than 2k, making importing useless.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:35 am

I think the core exp issue may be solved by adding proper exp to AI and aux units in each scenario in a campaign.
I did this in my own custom campaigns. It is mundane work, but it only needs to be done once.

Here's the data I used. It is based on various data from The Operation Theater of War (Force, Formation, Supply and Unit proficiency translated into OOB experience).
For minor nations I used 2.
The numbers can of course be discussed.

Nationality Experience
France 1940: 2
Germany 1939: 3
Germany 1940-41: 4
Germany 1942-44: 5
Germany 1945: 3
Italy 1939-44: 2
Japan 1939-45: 2
Poland 1939: 2
Soviet 1939-41: 1
Soviet 1942-45: 2
UK 1940-42: 3
UK 1943-45: 5
US 1940-41: 2
US 1942-43: 3
US 1944: 5
US 1945: 6

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Thu May 04, 2017 1:12 pm

I think the core exp issue may be solved by adding proper exp to AI and aux units in each scenario in a campaign.
But that would make it more difficult for players who don't start with an imporved core force. The only way to properly fix it would be to somehow change the balance/difficulty based on what the player imports but that's completely unfeasible.

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Thu May 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Starting the later Panzer Corps DLCs without imported core was definitely harder.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:49 pm

The campaign would need some balancing, sure.
In the first scenario; I would replace some of the purchase resources/command points with pre-deployed core units with experience and add some extra aux units (with exp).

KarisFraMauro
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by KarisFraMauro » Mon May 18, 2020 8:51 am

Yeah I've been wondering about balance issues with importing experienced units from previous campaings. Doesn't it cost more to repair a damaged veteran unit? That might go some way to redressing the concerns. And I tried playing your custom campaigns, they're too brutal for me :) Even on the "easy" difficulty of AI at max 8 health, I can't deal with six enemy aircraft popping up AND being able to attack that same turn. Yup bombers too. Definite points for realism in making the soviets scary though.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”