FoG(U) Update #36

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Re: FoG(U) Update #19

Post by cothyso »

Update: .. and still (!!!) working on GM3 build.

The menu flow code overhaul proved to be an absolute beast of a task to take. It was necessary, as during the FoG(U) development the menu flow code got soo clustered (mostly due to very old and "very efficient" legacy menu base code put in there by the ones which started the work on the menu interface) that making sure all the menu screens are properly setup, updated and reset and have their variables properly initialized, passed on and reset was next to impossible.

A complete cleaning-up of the menu code have become more and more stringent, and I decided to do it for the GM3 (which had all the other code in place by the 3rd March when its review and approval come from Slitherine). the base main menu code has around 13k lines of code, and together with the rest of the code involved in it easily reaches up well over 20k lines of code.. I'm sure have now a better picture of the immense amount of work (more than 14h each day, including the weekends) I'm doing required for cleaning it up all.

Everything said, I've almost finished it, the code is completely cleaned up at this moment and only requires extensive testing and small fixes (checking each screen and fixing cleaning-up small mistakes and hooking up the menu transitions mistakes/leftovers/errors), also partially completed.

So it's almost ready, and should be ready anytime now (today/tomorrow). As usual, please take it with a grain of salt and mind Murphy's (the bastard!!!) laws though :)

hms wrote:explain? remove my posts?
of course not!

you've quoted the first post of this thread which I'm constantly updating to contain all the updates posted through the thread (for easier information). and this quote appearing in your posts is way too long as it contains all the updates. you could just remove all the updates from the quote, excepting the newest (#19) one). In this way your post still keeps its meaning, while not being excessively and unnecessarily long.

as this:
cothyso wrote:Update #19 (3rd March 2017)
cothyso wrote:Hello friends,

The The FoG(U) v2.5.02 rev 1044f GM2k / GM3 preview build was approved so I moved forward with the GM3 build. Unfortunately I haven't finished yet the trailing WIP code for the FoG(U) 2.5.03 rev 1045 GM3, so there will be no build today.

The work still needing to be done should be ready during this weekend/by the beginning of the next week, and as soon as the build is ready I'll make the new build thread, and forward the build to Slitherine for publishing.

Cheers,
Dan Antonescu
thank you :)

PS: I've had a closer look, and noticed that actually the last two of your posts are duplicate of the first one (same date, same hour), so beside cleaning up the first one, also please remove the other two duplicates. thank you!
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

Well, the above said grain of salt has to be doubled, as I don't be able to continue the work today. Some further modifications of the menu code flow appeared as necessary during these last couple of days of testing, I've implemented most of them but they still need to be finished and there's still is a lot of testing (a new whole menu screens testing sweep due to the new modifications) needing to be done.

I will resume on tomorrow morning, and it should be ready before the end of the weekend.

Cheers,
dan
Vargas78
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Vargas78 »

Any news since Update 19? It's been all quiet since March 24.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

Yeah, I know :( I've hoped it to be during the last weekend, but I haven't succeeded and crashed towards Sunday evening. As usual, trying to make the ultimate build resulted in dumping a huge workload on me, and it wasn't even the main culprit for the fact that the build is not ready yet, but the few unexpected newly discovered problems surfaced while working on it which needed to be investigated, identified, fixed and then tested.

Here's the update I've sent Slitherine today regarding the situation of the build:
The following FoG(U) v2.6.00.1045 GM3 build is a huge update: it's version history only contains no less than 310 entries until now, from which 52 are fixes (including 2 huge and 2 big fixes), and it's far away from containing everything which was modified (at some point I've gave up recording everything, and started to record the big changes only).

The last weeks I've spent on cleaning up all the menu code flow. It initially started as a fast menu code check and fix of all the major issues trailing in it (properly set/reset all the screens content (values, sliders, etc)) before publishing the 1045 revision, and it was announced as so (Update thread's #19 from 3rd March post). It pretty quickly escalated (Update thread's 9th March post) and evolved in re-organizing all the menu code (Update thread's 17th March post) and it ended up in what practically is a full rewriting of the whole underneath-the-menu code (Update thread's 22nd March and Update thread's 24th March posts).

Atm everything's ready excepting the links of around 9 screens, the checking of around 25 screen transitions and the eventual fixing of whatever unexpected might still surface from within these (from a total of around 40 screens and 100 screen transitions).

As soon I will have the time needed to be allocated for it (a couple of days or so, if the whatever from above is not requiring more than few hours of work) the build will be ready.
Thank you for your patience,
Dan
Vargas78
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Vargas78 »

Ah ok, thanks for the feedback though!
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

FoG(U) Update #20

Post by cothyso »

Hello guys,

Had no chance to work on FoG(U) this week, so again no update for today. This weekend is the Easter holiday in here, so we've got Monday off too, which means I might finally find time to squeeze in at least a big part of the remaining couple of work days for the next FoG(U) version sometime during these three holiday days.

Thank you for your unlimited patience,
Dan Antonescu
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

FoG(U) Update #21

Post by cothyso »

Hello everyone,

Got some work done during the previous weekend, but not enough to finish the new build yet.

Thank you.
Dan Antonescu
t341
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: FoG(U) Update #20

Post by t341 »

anxiously awaiting, thanks for the update
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

FoG(U) Update #22

Post by cothyso »

Hello mates,

Haven't got the slightest chance to do any work on it this week, neither will have any opportunity during this weekend as I will be out of town until Tuesday.

Thank you,
Dan Antonescu
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: FoG(U) Update #22

Post by ZeaBed »

t341
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by t341 »

my dearest condolences
DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by DonCzirr »

Stay strong Dan ! I know it will be worth it in the end ...

Looking forward to your next release and then port to iPAD.

My IOS devices are screaming out for quality Ancient Warfare gaming !
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Jackal1917
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Jackal1917 »

Dear Dan, while replaying my or my opponent's last turn, the game froze on me or on my opponent.

Have you fixed this bug in next patch?

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 91&t=77015
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

The next status update will be on Monday evening.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

FoG(U) Update #23

Post by cothyso »

Hello guys,

I'll resume working on the FoG(U) starting with tomorrow morning, and the next build should be ready in a couple of days.

Thank you,
Dan Antonescu
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

Jackal1917 wrote:Dear Dan, while replaying my or my opponent's last turn, the game froze on me or on my opponent.

Have you fixed this bug in next patch?

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 91&t=77015
The next build contains a huge list of modifications, optimizations and fixes. As I've said before:
cothyso wrote: The following FoG(U) v2.6.00.1045 GM3 build is a huge update: it's version history only contains no less than 310 entries until now, from which 52 are fixes (including 2 huge and 2 big fixes), and it's far away from containing everything which was modified (at some point I've gave up recording everything, and started to record the big changes only).
I haven't encountered yet any play/replay crash problem in the tens of test games I've played during the development and testing of this build.
Last edited by cothyso on Mon May 08, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Re: FoG(U) Update #23

Post by cothyso »

cothyso wrote:I'll resume working on the FoG(U) starting with tomorrow morning, and the next build should be ready in a couple of days.
As usual, reality got in the way of "the work on FoG(U) being resumed from tomorrow" and magically turned the tomorrow Tuesday into tomorrow today, Friday. Well, at least it's finally happening!
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

FoG(U) Update #24

Post by cothyso »

Hello guys,

I've got back working on FoG(U). Each long break from FoG(U)'s huge code base require a period of re-accommodation with it, and therefore I've spent Friday and today (I wasn't able to do any kind of work during the weekend as we had guests, nor will I be able the next weekend as I'll be out of country from next Friday to the following Monday) getting used with the code (and probably a good part of tomorrow too).

Cheers,
Dan Antonescu
t341
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: FoG(U) Update #24

Post by t341 »

we are so looking forward to you finishing!
Jackal1917

Re: FoG(U) Update #24

Post by Jackal1917 »

Multiplayer does not work in v2.5.02 rev 1044f GM2k(mod) beta build:

Error: Client too old

Can you fix it?

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”