Marines DLC

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

HobbesACW
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Marines DLC

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, just catching up again with the game after 18 months off and getting confused by a few things. In this scenario I have had units on beaches that can go back to sea (anchor symbol). Units on beaches that can't go back to sea. Units in ports that can't go back to sea (no anchor symbol). What is the criteria to allow a unit to leave an area amphibiously?
I assume the artillery unit I placed on the single hex jungle island below will never be able to leave?
Also I have lost a couple of units but no CP has been returned. I thought CP was always returned when a unit was lost?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.32 KiB) Viewed 5172 times
Thanks for any help.
Chris
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Marines DLC

Post by bru888 »

Thanks for the pic; it helps to see the situation and make an assessment. To embark a unit, you need to have it positioned either on a city, town, or village hex that is adjacent to a port hex (the anchor symbol in the water) or positioned on the coast next to a friendly warship (and not a submarine or transport ship).

Supply ships don't do the trick (especially if they are asleep, like yours are :) ), and I don't think an allied warship will work either; it has to be one of yours. So try moving a warship of yours next to the small island and see if that works.

As far as returning CP when you lose units, that applies only to Core units. So if you lose any of those guys on the big island, who appear to be auxiliary units, not core, then you will see no CP increase when they are destroyed.
- Bru
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Thanks - it's coming back to me now!

Chris
bru888

Post by bru888 »

HobbesACW wrote:Thanks - it's coming back to me now!

Chris
Don't stay away so long next time! :wink:
- Bru
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Coming back it's great too see all the new content both from Slitherine and modders - especially Eric. I think I will be around for a while!
The answers to my questions actually came to me last night as I was drifting off to sleep - strange thing the brain (apart from warships allowing units back into the sea - that I had totally forgotten).
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Confused again tonight. Told to clear Mono island and there are two flashing arrows in the middle of nowhere. One on the left side of the island and one on the right. No flags at these places but I thought I better check them out in case it's part of the island clearance. It wasn't. There is nothing there. Why put flashing arrows in areas where there
is nothing? Just to confuse new or returning players? :)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (105.14 KiB) Viewed 5094 times
Chris
bru888

Post by bru888 »

HobbesACW wrote:Confused again tonight. Told to clear Mono island and there are two flashing arrows in the middle of nowhere. One on the left side of the island and one on the right. No flags at these places but I thought I better check them out in case it's part of the island clearance. It wasn't. There is nothing there. Why put flashing arrows in areas where there
is nothing? Just to confuse new or returning players? :)
Capture.JPG
Chris
It could be just an oversight. It could also be where randomly relocated and spawned enemy units may be placed. It could also be just showing you the outlines of the island, north, south, east, west. Regardless, the important thing is it means what it says. There is a trigger in there that looks at four points on that island which are near but not exactly where those arrows point and it will not let you win the scenario until all Japanese units within 3 to 8 hexes of those points are gone.
- Bru
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Thanks Bru
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

I finally managed to complete this scenario. You can take all the villages, destroy all the aviation fuel etc. But if there is a half dead out of supply Japanese unit somewhere in the middle of the jungle on Mono island and if you don't find it in time and finish it off you lose the entire campaign. Ridiculous scenario design. No historical reason for something like that. Makes what is a really good game frustrating and more like playing a puzzle than a wargame.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (167.39 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
Chris
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

P.S. it also seems pretty weird that the only way I can find to win most scenarios is to stay in my landing craft for ages while running up and down the coast machine gunning Japanese troops and fortifications. Its sort of fun - but not very realistic is it.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

HobbesACW wrote:P.S. it also seems pretty weird that the only way I can find to win most scenarios is to stay in my landing craft for ages while running up and down the coast machine gunning Japanese troops and fortifications. Its sort of fun - but not very realistic is it.
Yes, that would be unrealistic indeed. But this is not at all the experience I had. I think that Marines was getting a bit a repetitive in its missions (land, kill all, move on), but that was what the US island hopping was all about.
Please post more about what you are doing, maybe we can figure something out to improve your gameplay and tactical approach. Dont mean to be rude, but you must be making some mistakes to get bogged down on your Higgins boats that way. But we're here to help. :D
(There is also a video walkthrough on youtube by paradogs gamer. Very detailed.)
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

I don't think there is much more to post about my tactics (I should have said the easiest way to win most scenarios - not the only way). I have more success by staying in the Higgins boats for as long as possible. They can strafe the Japanese with near impunity so why would you want to land before you have destroyed everything along the coast? Once that is done landing and taking towns and fuel storage areas is a piece of cake!
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

HobbesACW wrote:I don't think there is much more to post about my tactics (I should have said the easiest way to win most scenarios - not the only way). I have more success by staying in the Higgins boats for as long as possible. They can strafe the Japanese with near impunity so why would you want to land before you have destroyed everything along the coast? Once that is done landing and taking towns and fuel storage areas is a piece of cake!
Yeah, but actually landing right away with Marines and then pushing inland is faster. Marines has mostly very, very generous turn limits and I was mostly done after half of the alloted time (medium difficulty).
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

An example here of what I posted about landing craft. It's only a problem with coastal scenarios but I think landing craft should be limited to one or two turns of ammo per scenario or suffer disruption if they stay at sea for too long.

The Battle of Peleliu. While most forces are engaged on the island to the north east a couple of destroyers and landing craft zoom around the coast destryoing most of the southern island defenders. Maybe not much can be done about the destroyers (bringing in naval ammo limits may unbalance existing scenarios) but I do think the power of landing craft remaining at sea for weeks and straffing the coast should be curtailed - or a way for the coastal units to fight back should be implemented.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (897.35 KiB) Viewed 4822 times
Cheers,
Chris
garrycooper101
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by garrycooper101 »

HobbesACW wrote:Hi folks, just catching up again with the game after 18 months off and getting confused by a few things. In this scenario I have had units on beaches that can go back to sea (anchor symbol). Units on beaches that can't go back to sea. Units in ports that can't go back to sea (no anchor symbol). What is the criteria to allow a unit to leave an area amphibiously?
I assume the artillery unit I placed on the single hex jungle island below will never be able to leave?
Also I have lost a couple of units but no CP has been returned. I thought CP was always returned when a unit was lost?
Capture.JPG
Thanks for any help.
Chris
For units on beaches that cannot go back to the sea. Try placing a PT Boat or destroyer next to them. For some reason units can use them as ports/see them as ports. Works real well to move your 155mm cannons off their islands, once the enemy moves out of range. garry
sunzu2016
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by sunzu2016 »

Hi there,

Who can tell me how to finish clearing Mono island ? By shooting the plane ? On my 4th attempt to do so, I couldn't get the victory...Any hint please ? Thanks a lot !
bru888

Post by bru888 »

It's definitely only land units, as this trigger shows:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (227.21 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (222.51 KiB) Viewed 3851 times

and the designer did a good job of covering the island with his conditions - to win, no enemy units are to be left in these areas:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (363.58 KiB) Viewed 3851 times

So offhand, I'd say you are missing something. You really have to hunt and scrub the island to make sure you find them all. You can always try using the cheat code CTRL+C #orbitalcommand to reveal all enemy units on the island.
- Bru
sunzu2016

Post by sunzu2016 »

Waoh, I've got my answer ! Thank you so much. How do you get those triggers ?

Anyway merci bru888 and merry Christmas ! :D
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

sunzu2016 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:30 pm Anyway merci bru888 and merry Christmas ! :D
Same, Happy Holidays, Bruce (and everyone)!

Return to “Order of Battle Series”