Artillery Range +1

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Artillery Range +1

Post by kondi754 »

My art unit received a hero, who added +1 to range parameter.
Has anyone got someone like that?
It seems to me it is an extremely rare bonus.

I'm playing US Corps at Montgomery lvl.
Attachments
hero.jpg
hero.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Artillery Range +1

Post by TSPC37730 »

Range heroes are on the rare side. You might get one or two in a campaign. They're also one of the best heroes you can get IMO. They allow you to soften up targets that are difficult to reach or even out of range for your other artillery units. They also allow you to fire from a safer distance away from the front line. Well done & happy bombarding.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

They aren't rare. There is an equal hero chance of range (initiative for melee units), defense, spotting, movement, or attack. Getting a unit to 2 heroes isn't difficult, so the combined odds of at least 1 range hero on a unit are 36% with a 4% chance of getting two!

Range heroes are very powerful. Many artillery units are balanced around their range, such as the 2 ranged nblwf series that are amazing with 3 range. The brumbar is very robust but has range 1, at range 2 it is so much better. And the K5 rail guns are great for hard targets but the target has to be 4 or less away. Increase that range to 5, and the number of hexes it can hit from a single place goes from 60 to 90. The number of hexes it can hit when you factor in its move of 10 goes from 240 to 310! It becomes an everywhere cannon that the AI can't touch because usually they won't even be able to see it.
Last edited by proline on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

I currently have a +1 Range Wurfrahmen and +1 Range StuG3B in my Manstein playthrough. Devastatingly awesome :mrgreen:
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
wargovichr
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by wargovichr »

Use the artillery range hero to hit enemy AA behind an objective. Hit AA once with artillery than a strategic bomber(leave over target); next turn hit it again with artillery, the strat bomber and fly it away, then hit AA with a tactical bomber, and the AA is gone.
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

They seem rarebecause artillery units are one of the hardest units to get kills on and they only come on artillery units. I am thankful whenever I get a range hero.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

AA can get range hero as well. Personally I prefer a 3 range mobile AA for the ability to protect and attack rather than a 4 range 88 or 128 which has good attack but limited protection ability because of the low movement.

For artillery, while 4-range is good for counter-battery fire and for taking out AA units, 3 range rockets and 2 range Stugs are well worth a try. A second range hero to give a 5range Italian 149mm gun sounds nice but actually wasn't much more use than 4 range. While +3A, +3D or +1move would have been better, at least it wasn't spotting!.

There's also a possibility of missing out on range hero if you have units that switch to something other than AA or artillery, as you get +1 initiative instead of range if you are in the other mode, and you are stuck with it when you switch back to artillery or AA mode. In contrast, range hero either changes to +1 ini or has no effect when you switch away from Art/AA.
edahl1980
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by edahl1980 »

best75 wrote:They seem rarebecause artillery units are one of the hardest units to get kills on and they only come on artillery units. I am thankful whenever I get a range hero.
You can get it on AA. Just saying.
But doesnt work on 88 when tilted into AT mode.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

My favorite unit in my Manstein playthrough is my 88 with +2 movement. just devastatingly awesome
goose_2

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

TigerIII wrote:
best75 wrote:They seem rarebecause artillery units are one of the hardest units to get kills on and they only come on artillery units. I am thankful whenever I get a range hero.
Because 0+1 range is still 1 range. 0 being the default attack range of any non-artillery unit, and 1 only reaching into hex adjacency. Try getting +2 bonuses of range heroes and watch what happens. I remember watching fire support halftracks shoot at range 2... though I believe that was judged to be a bug and fixed.
proline

Post by proline »

Kerensky wrote:
TigerIII wrote:
Because 0+1 range is still 1 range. 0 being the default attack range of any non-artillery unit, and 1 only reaching into hex adjacency. Try getting +2 bonuses of range heroes and watch what happens. I remember watching fire support halftracks shoot at range 2... though I believe that was judged to be a bug and fixed.
I'm not sure you're correct about this. There is a difference between 0 and 1 range- at range 1 the enemy can't shoot back! However, as I recall, and sadly I don't have a save with a range hero 88, when the 88 fires in AT mode the enemy does still shoot back, meaning that no range increase is actually applied.
proline

Post by proline »

goose_2 wrote:My favorite unit in my Manstein playthrough is my 88 with +2 movement. just devastatingly awesome
An 88 with +2 movement, plus its normal move of 1 and range of 3, can effectively hit an aircraft within 6 hexes. That's 127 hexes! At that point I usually upgrade it to a 12cm and over strength it to 15. Then it can one-shot any aircraft that comes remotely near your army. I normally don't over strength due to cost, but in this case the 12cm has complete impunity since it can sit well behind the lines and obviously air won't touch it. :D
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

I agree move heroes are very good on heavy AA and on towed artillery. I once had a gun with 2 move heroes in Allied Corps - it kept pace with the infantry at all times so they always had artillery cover. Very nice.
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by hugh2711 »

I have just got my first Range + 1 hero on a SdKfz 7/1. Thats the 4 barrell rate of fire 120% model. It is 3 star, experience 345 and kills 278. Its VERY useful. I am on gc43east so I am looking forward to my next hero soon...
TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 »

hugh2711 wrote:I have just got my first Range + 1 hero on a SdKfz 7/1. Thats the 4 barrell rate of fire 120% model. It is 3 star, experience 345 and kills 278. Its VERY useful. I am on gc43east so I am looking forward to my next hero soon...
Nicely done & a great combo. Just be sure to be careful - the AI just loves attacking them with tanks if you leave them at all vulnerable.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Mobile AA with range hero is awesome as you can protect your ground troops and still damage enemy aircraft on your attack turn. Hope for +3A or +3D next time!
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Ok I am opening up this thread to get your thoughts on maybe a conversion of one of my units based on it's heroes.

So I have had this +1 range / + 1 Movement 17cm artillery. I have liked being able to hit things officially 5 squares away, but I am not wracking up the kills that I am garnering on my Nebelwerfers. My +2 Att Nebelwerfer and my +1 movement/+3 Attack Nebelwerfer are devastating. They wrack up kills and are super great suppressers.

Should I convert the 17cm arty to a 3rd Nebelwerfer, or leave as is.

What are your thoughts about having a 5 range lobber or should I get another great suppresser?
goose_2

hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

I would actually convert it to a wurfrahmen. The +1 range in a wurfrahmen coupled with the speed and ability to fire having travelled long distance is ridiculously usefull and the attack value is high enough to be usefull attacking everything not just infantry. When starting gc42/3 west and you can only take 9 units with you; I would always convert any +1 range artilliary to wurfrahmen and take 2 with me, its worth the price. I also find although expensive it is so usefull i dont need to overstrength it at all. One just has to be carefulll as they are a bit fragile.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

hugh2711 wrote:I would actually convert it to a wurfrahmen. The +1 range in a wurfrahmen coupled with the speed and ability to fire having travelled long distance is ridiculously usefull and the attack value is high enough to be usefull attacking everything not just infantry. When starting gc42/3 west and you can only take 9 units with you; I would always convert any +1 range artilliary to wurfrahmen and take 2 with me, its worth the price. I also find although expensive it is so usefull i dont need to overstrength it at all. One just has to be carefulll as they are a bit fragile.

A bit fragile is an understatement as I have 2 +1 Range Wurfrahmen already. Thankfully one has +3 Defense and the other has +1 Attack, but even so they are extremely vulnerable on Manstein. Many a plane has terrified me as they reign death on exposed Wurf's with impunity.

No more Wurfrahmen...too vulnerable...and too expensive... :oops:
goose_2

Return to “Panzer Corps”