Post by Okie »

You bet! Still good for me. :) 8)
Enakan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Hyborian FoG Tournament

Post by Enakan »

Sorry!

Busy week, college kids getting back to school, wife has me working HARD! Will try to set up the first round this weekend.

Rules still seem good for everyone? Any questions or suggestions?
NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!!!!!!!
klayeckles
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by klayeckles »

great...
maybe create a table listing the armies...along with a column of restrictions (ie... army name.... no pike or chariots, etc....) I'd love to help with that but i'd have to go purchase then re read the entire collection! i'd focus more on getting the weapon types correct for each army rather than the geographic region...we have to use our imaginations anyway, and the Howard maps were not exactly europe, so just pick a list that fits the vision for that nation best).
for the first it wouldn't be necessary to do every nation...get 8 or 10, leave out ones that don't fit and we can see how many players we have

thanks for the effort!
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

I'm sure I would not pick each and every proper or 100% matching list, so I appreciate the help interpreting the FOG armies to match them up!

Map so you get a feel for the placement of the countries and possible match-ups.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyboria ... -SHdwL1BIM:

So here goes:

Aquilonia: Has both Aquilonian and Poitanian knights (Poitain being a province of Aquilonia down by the Zamoran border, very impetous types). So heavy armored knights who charge en masse. Supported by the Black Dragons, the Royal Guard unit, one foot, one HC. Typical men at arms could support the knights, so lesser horse there. Gundermen pikemen, superior types who hardly every broke. Bossonian archers with longbows, very dependable and drilled archers. On the borders you might have some medium woodsmen type foot.

Nemedia: Arch-foe of Aquilonia, pretty much the same build except for no solid pikemen like the Gundermen or archers like the Bossonians. Solid men at arms instead supported by crossbows. So knights, MAA and X-bows.

Brythunia: Another Western nation, close to Nemedia in style of army.

Koth: A blend of East and West, so some knights and heavy foot but then also some Eastern type troops too. Maybe a Crusader style force?

Turan: Eastern foe which bordered Brythunia, the kingdom to the east of Nemedia. The border was wide though between East and West, lots of steppes, Turan had an Arabic or Saracen feel. Drilled lancers and horse archers, not really heavy horse but armored mediums. Medium foot, both archers and spearmen. They did have Hyrkanian horse archer mercenaries, so undrilled light horse archers.

Hyrkania: Think Huns or Mongols, mostly light horse archers supported by maybe medium drilled horse. Mostly all mounted except maybe some medium camp guard archers, the youths and old farts. A tribal society.

Kozaki: Outlaws raiding the borders of Turan, again, mostly light horse archers. Composed of men from many nations. Think many small bands which might band together for a major raid.

Zuagir Tribesmen: More light horse archers from the west part of Shem, where the pastures gradually changed into the desert. So Bedouin tribes....

Shem: Mailed horsemen with lances, armor but not heavy armor. Their medium archers were armed with the feared Shemite composite bow, which had a very long range. Mostly small city states which fought amongst each other. Furnished many mercenaries for the surrounding states.

Stygia: Think ancient Egypt with a dose of sorcery, different priests mostly. Nobles who used war bows riding in chariots, probably heavy ones. Spear foot supported by archers. Would use mercenaries.

Zingara & Argos: Both south of Nemedia and Aquilonia, both maritime countries, so buccaneers and pirates for both of them. Argos in particular used mercenaries to supplement its small regular army. I really don't see us using either too much.

Corinthia: A nation south of Nemedia famed for it's heavy infantry, mostly pike or spear armed. Some knights but a minimum, as well as small numbers of supporting archers. The heavy foot was favored above the rest.

Pictland: Mostly tribes dwelling in very close woods, throwing axes, bows, melee weapons, ambush warfare. Medium and light foot only.

Cimmeria, Vanir and Asgard: Three Nordic style countries above Pictland and Aquilonia. The Cimmerians were dark haired, Vanir were redheads, Aesir blondes. Howling waves of barbarians charging at you, I'm sure they would have some supporting youths as archers, or maybe thralls as missile troops. No cavalry or chariots mentioned.

Vendyha: Indian flavor, war mammoths, spearmen, archers. I'm sure chariots would fit in there too.

Zamora was a "gateway" kind of country, very old and corrupt, cities known for thieves. Not much of an army, not much there except a pathway from East to West.

Good to start?

Paul
Okie
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Okie »

I'm ready if you are. Can we chose our country? If so Either Aquilonia or Vendhya for me, Aquilonia first! :mrgreen: 8)
What do you think of useing 600 pt. armies and maybe 1000 pt. maps! :)
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

Wow,

It's been a while! Need to get back to work on this, since the fall semester started up I've been busy on other things.

So a campaign or would you all like to play some custom built Hyborian scenarios? Ahhhh......I'd have to play all of you, since you can't pick them up on your own.......maybe not a good idea?

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”