FOG2 Developer’s Diary – Innovations and Differences

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
SteveD64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: FOG2 Developer’s Diary – Innovations and Differences

Post by SteveD64 »

thanks Richard. I wanted to do a top down board game looking mod but I can't play that type of game unless the units are moving right to left/left to right on my computer screen. Like I said, a small thing ;)
Sennacherib
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Sennacherib »

Will be available on steam ?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Sennacherib wrote:Will be available on steam ?
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

MooN
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by MooN »

I am very much looking forward to this evolution of FOG with its several enhansments over the origional, with one exception.
I would also like to see particular troop types in particular army lists designated as say 'Impetuous ' and subject to an anarchy test, it would be quite historical for some army commanders not to have 100% control over some less well trained / disciplined troops or those that were full of Elan .

If I may inquire, will this title be available to play via iPad ?

ATB.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MooN wrote:If I may inquire, will this title be available to play via iPad ?
There are technical issues that would make porting to the iPad extremely difficult. We therefore currently have no plans to do so.
Richard Bodley Scott

GBISSET
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by GBISSET »

People who are serious about wargames should consider getting an older windows machine to their Ipads as a backup and for wargames. They run $200 or less.
Bombax

Post by Bombax »

FWIW I'm one of those people glad to see the back of the anarchic charges in FoG 1. I can see that there's an historic case for them, but from a gaming point of view I have to say I found them most annoying...!

I am very excited about this game and will buy it on Day One!!! :D
cfern
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by cfern »

Adraeth wrote:Excellent, now give me a time machine to reach Fall 2017 :D

Anyway, i was one that loved Anarchy Charges ... maybe, if FOG2 will touch fall of rome and middleage, would it be possible to add the "anarchy charge" rule to portrait the "so loved" impetuous units of germans and latin knights?
i love anarchy charges, this is the feature that make P&S and SJ so unique. Anarchy charges as an optional rule in FOG2 would be an excellent idea.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

cfern wrote:
Adraeth wrote:Excellent, now give me a time machine to reach Fall 2017 :D

Anyway, i was one that loved Anarchy Charges ... maybe, if FOG2 will touch fall of rome and middleage, would it be possible to add the "anarchy charge" rule to portrait the "so loved" impetuous units of germans and latin knights?
i love anarchy charges, this is the feature that make P&S and SJ so unique. Anarchy charges as an optional rule in FOG2 would be an excellent idea.
P&S And SJ do not have anarchy charges. You are probably thinking of pursuit charges, which are still present in FOG2.

Anarchy charges in FOG1 occur when a unit is within charge reach of the enemy, and if the player does not move it, there is a chance that the unit will charge without orders.
Richard Bodley Scott

cfern

Post by cfern »

yup richard you're right i was speaking about pursuit charges, (i've never played FOG), thanx for the tip!
Southern Hunter
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Southern Hunter »

Well, I seem to be a little bit out of the loop of late, but just catching up with FoG2 now, and it looks quite appealing. I look forward to it greatly.

(FOG1 player from way back)
Scutarii
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Scutarii »

Anarchy charges were very usefull to made "barbaric" armies/units less valuable... i refer that this rule made romans or armies based in phalanx better if you want control more your units even when they units cost more (at least i suffered less anarchy charges with phalanx or legionary units).

Maybe you can reintroduce them, the only thing to have in mind is limit anarchy charges to units that are outside command range or are in command range but are the undriled type + barbaric units... they are cheaper but they can charge when they want.
bodkin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by bodkin »

Is there a slider for game speed? From the videos the cpu turn is too fast paced for my liking, individual engagements seem to be almost simultaneous with hardly time to look at and assess the results of one fight before it switches to the next.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

bodkin wrote:Is there a slider for game speed? From the videos the cpu turn is too fast paced for my liking, individual engagements seem to be almost simultaneous with hardly time to look at and assess the results of one fight before it switches to the next.
There is indeed a slider for game speed. However, you can also optionally turn on popup close combat reports that pop up after each combat and halt the action until you close them.
Richard Bodley Scott

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii »

A little question, in the editor is possible change the units size in soldiers??? and if is possible increase their size made appear more soldiers in the unit??? for example create a 500 soldier skirmisher unit with 8 figures to represent them.

Thanks.
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Daniele »

Sennacherib wrote:Will be available on steam ?
Check it out! http://store.steampowered.com/app/66016 ... _Glory_II/
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Scutarii wrote:A little question, in the editor is possible change the units size in soldiers??? and if is possible increase their size made appear more soldiers in the unit??? for example create a 500 soldier skirmisher unit with 8 figures to represent them.

Thanks.

Yes, this can be done by modding the squads file - which is an Excel spreadsheet. No coding required.
Richard Bodley Scott

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii »

Thanks, i asume you need load the moded file when you want create a scen using it no??? like in other wargames where you load an OOB file when you create a scen.

A little question, i notice that skirmish units have an ammo level, in the pre-created battles are "not low ammo" but in a pair of videos uploaded today i find they can start with 5 turns of ammo and when run out of them enter in no low ammo... i asume that are more ammo levels no??? maybe low ammo and even no ammo???

Other thing related with skirmishers... i see a serie of menu icons in the longest video... i asume first are to move to the next combat unit and skirmish units, other to show skirmishers attack arc??? and next... skirmishers attack range??? because next one looks like command range and last one... no idea, maybe show OOB or game options???

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQ5u2R2bTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dccHrlpgCsQ
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

technically speaking, it should be possible to resupply skirmishers, plus, certain types of skirmishers were commonly "resupplying themselves", where slingers would throw whatever rock they can pick from ground, while Javelineers would just throw back enemy javelins they pick from ground.. Roman battle tactics called for skirmishers to withdraw behind heavy infantry to resupply, or move to flanks to support the (usually small in numbers) equites.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Scutarii wrote:Thanks, i asume you need load the moded file when you want create a scen using it no??? like in other wargames where you load an OOB file when you create a scen.
Yes
A little question, i notice that skirmish units have an ammo level, in the pre-created battles are "not low ammo" but in a pair of videos uploaded today i find they can start with 5 turns of ammo and when run out of them enter in no low ammo... i asume that are more ammo levels no??? maybe low ammo and even no ammo???
All shooters shoot at full effect for 5 turns, then after that have to scavenge ammunition so shoot at half effect. The UI does not report how many full strength shots the enemy has left, only changes to "Ammunition Low" when they are low.
Other thing related with skirmishers... i see a serie of menu icons in the longest video... i asume first are to move to the next combat unit and skirmish units, other to show skirmishers attack arc??? and next... skirmishers attack range??? because next one looks like command range and last one... no idea, maybe show OOB or game options???
Yes, they are the tool menus - there are two of them, one on each side of the screen. They start minimised.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”