OOB Down The Road

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

michacey
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

OOB Down The Road

Post by michacey »

Realizing that there is still much of WWII to be experienced in OOB, I wonder what the future will bring us. Will the present system support future conflicts? I can see no reason for there not being:
OOB: Korea
OOB: Vietnam
OOB: Middle East
OOB: Modern Conflicts
Any thoughts or input on these ideas? Would the present OOB system be compatible? Just wondering...
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: OOB Down The Road

Post by terminator »

OOB: WWI

Here is the Box :
OOBWWI_Box_3D_170.gif
OOBWWI_Box_3D_170.gif (23.23 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
mhladnik
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by mhladnik »

I can see Korea being the latest conflict (timeline-wise) that would still work as an OOB:WWII DLC (only 5 years after the end of WW2, an aftermath (cold war proxy) conflict, still similar armies). I wouldn't mind that.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

michacey wrote:Realizing that there is still much of WWII to be experienced in OOB, I wonder what the future will bring us. Will the present system support future conflicts? I can see no reason for there not being:
Any thoughts or input on these ideas? Would the present OOB system be compatible? Just wondering...
This has been brought up before and the consensus has been "let them first finish WWII but by all means, when that is done . . ."

I would say it depends on three things: 1) How well are The Artistocrats doing with OOB? 2) Do they have the resources, the interest, and the stamina to expand their franchise? 3) Can they compete against a lot of other software companies doing the same things?

I have rooted for OOB since the day I first downloaded it. I have more hope than confidence in its future.
- Bru
MesaDon
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MesaDon »

bru888 wrote:
I have rooted for OOB since the day I first downloaded it. I have more hope than confidence in its future.
Except for a little while some months ago when you “went to the dark side” on the PC forum to express negativity about OOB. LOL! It’s nice to see you saw the light and came back with words, wisdom, and support.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@terminator: OoB WWI would be a bit too static for me. I think the supply system is made for Blitzkrieg style warfare. OoB Desert Storm or Six Day War might work better. Any other ideas?
@MesaDon: Come on, bru is the biggest fanboy around here. And you can play both OoB and Panzercorps 2. I am looking forward to both.
ubcbeer
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ubcbeer »

michacey wrote:Realizing that there is still much of WWII to be experienced in OOB, I wonder what the future will bring us. Will the present system support future conflicts? I can see no reason for there not being:
I want the OOB: Korea too! :D
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

wehrmacht wrote:I want the OOB: Korea too! :D
Korea with Kim Jong-Un :?:
north_korea_missile_3_0.jpg
north_korea_missile_3_0.jpg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 5806 times
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

We do not have considered any other topics beyond WW II for DLCs yet. Personally I think that Korea 1950-53 would indeed work nicely with the current game, but again: nothing like this is planned for now. What the future brings....we'll see ;)

For more modern conflicts I am not sure. I do remember playing People's General long ago, and while it was a good game overall, I never played it with the same intensity as those former WW II -based Panzer General/Allied General games.

One problem I see with more modern stuff is that a whole lot of ranged weapons are coming in. So far we have ranged fire for normal 'gun' arty, but the more you get modern you'd also have SAMs, aircraft and heli-launched distance weapons of all kinds, cruise missiles and whatnot.

However whether this makes combat more interesting is another question. I found this to be a rather annoying part of People's General when you had advanced arty or SAM systems blasting you from the far side of the map...

I guess it could work with a lot of changes though.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

I agree with Bebro. I think that II WW inculding the 30s in XX century is still the best for this game !! there is So many conflicts, episodes on the whole world. We can create so many mini and big campaigns etc , Still on the Pacific front, China front (period 1940 - 1945), North africa, western front (june 1944), Italian front (june 1943) (Spanish civil war 1936) Italian - Etiopa war 1935 - 1936 etc etc :). The important things which is optimal for this game is that the during II WW so many new weapons have been created but still so primitive comparing to the weapon after II WW.
Im sure that I WW and even American Civil war 1861-1865 , and European Revolutions of 1848 for example could be a very good choice for the engine of this game :). Maybe Civil war in China 1946-1949 and war in Korea could be good but no longer.....after this conflicts...
Last edited by calmhatchery on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Vietnam could probably work with all the commando units and stuff, but stuff like 80s/90s conflicts I can't see working well.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Yes some scenarios in the deep jungle could be in Vietnam too.
Asap
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Asap »

bebro wrote:

We do not have considered any other topics beyond WW II for DLCs yet. Personally I think that Korea 1950-53 would indeed work nicely with the current game, but again: nothing like this is planned for now. What the future brings....we'll see ;)

For more modern conflicts I am not sure. I do remember playing People's General long ago, and while it was a good game overall, I never played it with the same intensity as those former WW II -based Panzer General/Allied General games.

One problem I see with more modern stuff is that a whole lot of ranged weapons are coming in. So far we have ranged fire for normal 'gun' arty, but the more you get modern you'd also have SAMs, aircraft and heli-launched distance weapons of all kinds, cruise missiles and whatnot.

However whether this makes combat more interesting is another question. I found this to be a rather annoying part of People's General when you had advanced arty or SAM systems blasting you from the far side of the map...

I guess it could work with a lot of changes though.
After Panzer General 2, my first PC game and the game which brought me to Slitherine's Panzer Corps some years ago, there was Dynasty General (People's General). I liked it much, it was fun to play with all the helis and other modern stuff. I can't remember that I had any problems with rockets or other long ranged weapons. :-)
Attachments
Dynasty General.jpg
Dynasty General.jpg (54.34 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
"The sun is new each day" Heraclitus
bru888

Post by bru888 »

MesaDon wrote:
bru888 wrote: I have rooted for OOB since the day I first downloaded it. I have more hope than confidence in its future.
Except for a little while some months ago when you “went to the dark side” on the PC forum to express negativity about OOB. LOL! It’s nice to see you saw the light and came back with words, wisdom, and support.
Andy2012 wrote:@MesaDon: Come on, bru is the biggest fanboy around here.
No, he's right; sometimes I root a bit too hard and expect a bit too much but that does come from being a major fanboy of this game. :oops:
- Bru
Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Igor1941 »

terminator wrote:
wehrmacht wrote:I want the OOB: Korea too! :D
Korea with Kim Jong-Un :?:
north_korea_missile_3_0.jpg

michacey
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by michacey »

Yeah, I can see that after the early 70's, it would require major redesigning and it would be a different game. That still leaves us with some very interesting possibilities:
Korea 50-53
Korea in late 60's (Came close to actually happening)
Indochina 55-65
Vietnam 63-70
Several conflicts in the mid-east 47-67...
joey
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by joey »

I can see Korea 1950 to 1953 as possible. I think anything after that would be difficult given the game structure. Nevertheless, I think the Korea would be an interesting campaign. I think the Forgotten War has been forgotten by game designers for far too long.
LoyalSoldier
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by LoyalSoldier »

Given that OoB has covered less known areas of WW2, it would be good if it continued in this vein.

The most obvious scenario would be the Russian invasion of Manchuria in 1945, pitting the Soviets against the Japanese.

Another possibility is to cover alternate history such as operation Sealion or perhaps a conflict breaking out between the Soviets and allies in 1945. Or we could consider a conflict between the Germans and Japanese in the USA, envisaged by the man in the high castle.

Korea is an obvious possibility for post war scenarios.
WarHomer

Post by WarHomer »

Down the road I hope for more WW2, and better continuation/carry over :D
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Andy2012 wrote:@terminator: OoB WWI would be a bit too static for me. I think the supply system is made for Blitzkrieg style warfare.
Sad to see that the World War I always has so not much success :(
It was not only a static war. There was tanks, planes, sea battles, submarines, chemical attack, heroes...
The supply system obliges to move forward carefully. Several times my tanks were cut by the line of supply by wanting to move forward too quickly in the enemy lines in OoB.
There was a game called "World War I": it is a real-time strategy based on the modified version of the well-known Blitzkrieg engine.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”