Request for Beta rule by Friday

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Mahatma
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Request for Beta rule by Friday

Post by Mahatma »

I am playing my first game against another rookie FoG player tomorrow and neither of us have read the rules. He has the FoG rulebook and three other books but I have none and have no way of contacting him before tomorrow.

Is it possible for me to get the beta rules so I can learn some of the basics before tomorrow? AFAIK there is no way for me to get the book by tomorrow and we have only 3 1/2 hours at the club to play.

If anyone can tell we which of the beta rules are incorrect, I can cross them out and use Gary's book for those rules. Obviously don't give me the corrections as then I have no need to buy the rulebook.

Seriously, this is a genuine request. By getting the beta rules and a basic grasp of the game we can maybe finish a small game in the 3 1/2 hours available. I did have the beta rules after buying the rulebook last year, but sold it on ebay after failing to find opponents in my small town of 80k people.

E-mail is Nathanial dot Petty at hotmail dot co dot uk if anyone can send them to me.

Thanks.
andy63
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Request for Beta rule by Friday

Post by andy63 »

Mahatma wrote:I am playing my first game against another rookie FoG player tomorrow and neither of us have read the rules. He has the FoG rulebook and three other books but I have none and have no way of contacting him before tomorrow.

Is it possible for me to get the beta rules so I can learn some of the basics before tomorrow? AFAIK there is no way for me to get the book by tomorrow and we have only 3 1/2 hours at the club to play.

If anyone can tell we which of the beta rules are incorrect, I can cross them out and use Gary's book for those rules. Obviously don't give me the corrections as then I have no need to buy the rulebook.

Seriously, this is a genuine request. By getting the beta rules and a basic grasp of the game we can maybe finish a small game in the 3 1/2 hours available. I did have the beta rules after buying the rulebook last year, but sold it on ebay after failing to find opponents in my small town of 80k people.

E-mail is Nathanial dot Petty at hotmail dot co dot uk if anyone can send them to me.

Thanks.
Sorry Mahatma none of the beta testers are allowed to send this information all of the beta testers had to sign a non disclosure,to protect the copy rights. If your mate as got the rules that`s all you need to get your first game underway.
ANDY :)
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

did have the beta rules after buying the rulebook last year, but sold it on ebay after failing to find opponents in my small town of 80k people.
So you had the rules and the Beta rules before, but didn't read them. Then, after signing the NDA to get a set of Beta rules, you sold them on E-bay. Hmm are there any copyright lawyers in your small town?
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

On a more helpful note, get your order in to amazon b4 2 o'clock, I think they do next day delivery
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

So you had the rules and the Beta rules before, but didn't read them. Then, after signing the NDA to get a set of Beta rules, you sold them on E-bay. Hmm are there any copyright lawyers in your small town?
No, I sold the book and deleted the beta rules. You may now call off the lawyers.

Not a problem then if I can't get the book. But this leaves me with another question. What points value of game should be play with 3 1/2 hours available and neither of use knowing the rules well?
Mahatma

Where's my phone call?

Post by Mahatma »

double posted.
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

The Beta rules are now redundant. All beta testers were instructed to delete copies from their system, so there should not be any beta sets now available, but if you get a response, let us know :twisted:

Regards
JDM
stenic
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by stenic »

Mahatma wrote:

Not a problem then if I can't get the book. But this leaves me with another question. What points value of game should be play with 3 1/2 hours available and neither of use knowing the rules well?
650AP at 15mm using a reduced table size of 5by3, drop 1 compulsory terrain and 1 from each of the players optional picks. Actually exactly as Hammy's set up for 1 day tournaments but with more time.

Should see you near enough to a conclusion in the time available. It certainly helped us and made us feel we had a conclusion whilst we were learning the rules. Even with 800AP we struggle to compete in 3.5hrs but then we do play in pairs and chat lots.

Steve P
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

What points value of game should be play with 3 1/2 hours available and neither of use knowing the rules well?
You should be able to complete a game using the starter armies easily.

(Perhaps I should have added a :wink: to my post above. Its so hard to judge on e-mail)
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

I would suggest downloading the reference sheets off the Field of Glory website. If you have read the rules before they should go a long way to getting you rolling.
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

Hello Nathanial,

650 points or so seems fine for a first game. I wouldn't try anything fancy - just a pair of long lines marching towards each other makes sense. you may find that you spend a good deal of time flicking through the book to find a rule. Don't panic - it gets much easier with time.

Regards

Graham
CrazyHarborc

Post by CrazyHarborc »

As mentioned by hammy.....download/copy the reference sheets off of the FoG site. The charts on the reference sheets are a VERY BIG help. Using the reference sheets instead of flipping through the rulebook's pages for each chart is much easier.
GKChesterton1976
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by GKChesterton1976 »

jdm wrote:The Beta rules are now redundant. All beta testers were instructed to delete copies from their system, so there should not be any beta sets now available, but if you get a response, let us know :twisted:

Regards
JDM
I was never so instructed but I am more than happy to do so!

Adrian
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Thankyou Adrian

JDM
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

So just curious how did the game go? How long did it take and did you fight to a conclusion? Our first games took over five hours but its getting better all the time.
Mahatma

After action report

Post by Mahatma »

Well I turned up half an hour late because I thought the club started at 6.30 so we had 3 hours to play. By decision of a coin toss I took a Greek army, can't remember specifically, and Gary took a late principate Roman army. Both armies were from the starter lists.

The reference sheets saved us as we had to check them every two minutes.

Instead of trying to outwit each other, we decided to line up our infantry opposite each other and pile in quickly so that we could try out the rules. That part of the game went well, although we missed and forgot many rules along the way, such as swordsmen not getting a +poa against steady pike etc etc

Whenever canny maneuvor was needed we were incompentent. I had my crack Companions stuck behind a forest and they never made it into combat since we only played up to turn 4. Gary did the same with his Cavalry. We didn't realise the effects of terrain on the movement phase and left ourselves no room once the infantry were deployed.

Anyway, what I've learned is that those Roman Legionaires are tough as hell. I couldn't believe Gary when he said they were Impact foot, superior and armoured. Other than that, not alot was gained but a basic grasp of the rules.

It was an interesting game, so I'll be buying the rulebook and educating myself about the game so that I can complete a battle on Friday, crush my enemy and hear the lamentations of the women. Much of the enjoyment was due to playing a game where realism was paramount, unlike Games Workshop games or Medieval 2 Total War on the PC, and everything, or nearly everything made sense.

The biggest shock was how slow combat was, and that's not a criticism. In Warhammer, a close combat match-up usually lasts a turn or two, since casulties are astronomical and moral is a binary system of fight or flight. It was a battle of attrition in the middle.

Conclusion:

FoG is awesome.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for the update and glad you enjoyed the game.

If I can add a suggestion, next time don't play with any terrain just an open field. That way you can focus on just the armies. I played about 5 games without any terrain until we felt comfortable that we weren't missing rules. AS you get more comfortable with the rules, add a little more.

Combat we found can be draining especially if one person is doing the calculations. But I must admit I do like the effects and the ability to watch an army slowly become disorganized. Leader use is key to helping stop or turn this around.

Brian
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: After action report

Post by babyshark »

Mahatma wrote:<snip>

Anyway, what I've learned is that those Roman Legionaires are tough as hell.
Ain't that the truth.

And you won't hear much dissent from your "FoG is awesome" position around here either.

Marc
CrazyHarborc

Post by CrazyHarborc »

Our little group is using 1 & 1/2 inch MUs, we play on a 4 by 8 table, using suppliment starter armies. We can usually, find room for 9 out of 10 pieces of terrain.....THAT has only happened once. Normally, we have 8 or 9 pieces of terrain on the field. We are getting ready to try ambushes and or flanking marching.

Return to “Rules Questions”