"late" Romans vs India ( SP )

eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

"late" Romans vs India ( SP )

Post by eddieballgame »

First, my apologize for the lack of "screen shots". Had I known what I was getting into, & not thinking of doing so, to begin with...well, I learned my lesson here.:)

Recently played the late Romans vs India. What a battle. I was using a 70/50 threshold for winning & almost came to regret it. The battle was fairly easy early on as the Roman infantry began overwhelming India's archers. At one point ( sorry for no screen shot ) the Romans had achieved a -52 green which disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.

As this epic encounter continued to be written, the Romans were starting to succumb to the stress of being outnumbered. A routed elephant group came "back to life" & scored a devastating flank attack on some unspecting legionaries.
Though, always "in the green" the Romans sank to just an 11 point difference & I was starting to think some of my, not so good moves, were going to be the end of me.
Fortunately, for the Romans & myself...India was also running low on firepower. Translation, their men were fleeing all over the place.
Victory was finally & mercifully attained on move 22 of 24. 72% routed vs 59%...whew.

Thanks 'RBS' for this "gem of a game".
Screen_00000001.jpg
Screen_00000001.jpg (818.43 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Screen_00000003.jpg
Screen_00000003.jpg (583.9 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Screen_00000004.jpg
Screen_00000004.jpg (596.3 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: "late" Romans vs India ( SP )

Post by devoncop »

Thanks for the account.........

One particular characteristic of this game that I have seen in both SP and MP is the way the battles can swing backwards and forwards as strategies come off (or don't!). Often a particular heroic unit makes a huge difference.

Not many games achieve this and is a tribute to the game design.
eddieballgame

Re: "late" Romans vs India ( SP )

Post by eddieballgame »

You are welcome & I concur with your assessment. My first few battles were a valuable learning experience. Much like FoG II's predecessors ( P&S, Sengoku JD, & of course...FoG I ), for me it is about developing a "feel" for the army types & how to employ them. Reading the great advice from this forum & watching videos has helped me immensely, but...actually participating in the battles is the best & most fun of all. The experience one gets from losing a battle is quite valuable, & a game that allows this to be possible is the hallmark of a true classic.

Return to “Field of Glory II: After Action Reports”