Battle of Raphia

welk
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Battle of Raphia

Post by welk »

I am working on a scenario : Battle of Raphia, with heavy mass of elefants (102 vs 73 : each elefant unit = 5 elefants, and not 20 as in vanilla game) : a monster battle
Attachments
Raphia.jpg
Raphia.jpg (562.07 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
welk

Re: Battle of Raphia

Post by welk »

Work in progress : IA works fine

Deployment is in test, so not very historical at this time

I will create 2 versions : One vs Seleucide IA, and one vs Ptolemaic IA
Attachments
Raphia2.jpg
Raphia2.jpg (584.52 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Welk
Great to hear it. A multi player version of this would be good as well. How many units a side do you think you are going to end up with ? What sources are you using for your OOB information ? I have a number of books with detail on this if need a hand PM me if you would like some source material.

Regards
Ian
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Hoplite1963 wrote:Hi Welk
Great to hear it. A multi player version of this would be good as well. How many units a side do you think you are going to end up with ? What sources are you using for your OOB information ? I have a number of books with detail on this if need a hand PM me if you would like some source material.

Regards
Ian
Hi Ian,

Did you see the pm I sent you a couple of days ago?

regards

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Paul
No I had not but seen it now and replied.

Regards
Ian
welk

Post by welk »

Hoplite1963 wrote:Hi Welk

Regards
Ian
Hi Paul, thanks

My oob project is that (but if you have better informations, I take them :)

LAGIDE ARMY

3000 to 4000 Pikes Royal Guard or Agyraspides ?
32 000 pikes phalanx mercenary greek (ordinary)
24 000 Egyptian pikes or spearmen(raw quality)
2000 infantry Galate
4000 infantry Thracians
3000 heavy infantry Lybians mercenary
1500 cretan infantry mercenary (? doubt)
8000 Mercenary Hoplites greek
700 or 1000 Guard cavalery (heavy armored cav veterans)
2000 Greek cavalery (heavy cav, ordinary quality)
2000 or 2300 Lybian cavalery (light cav)
2500 to 3000 cretan archers
2000 Peltastes mercenary
73 to 80 African elefants

SELEUCIDE ARMY

20 000 Pike phalanx
10 000 Argyraspides
1000 Heavy inf Cardaces (Galates)
1500 Cretan inf mercenary
10 000 Arabe infantry
11500 light infantry (Carmanians, Cissians, Cilicians, Thraces, Mèdes, Cadusians,etc)
5000 Hoplites or Thuréophoroi (greeks)
2500 to 3000 Persian archers + Agrianians slingers
500 Javelinmen Lydians
1500 to 2500 Cretan archers
1000 to 2000 Guard elite cav (heavy armored veteran)
4000 to 5000 CAVALARY HEAVY ARMORED (Ordinary)
100 to 102 Indian elefants
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Hi welk, just to let you know that the Immortal Fire DLC will include the battle of Raphia, SP playable from either side, and also MP.

Obviously you are welcome to work on your own interpretation of the battle, but we won't be able to add it to the official FTP for in-game download until a significant amount of time has passed after the release of Immortal Fire.

This is the only battle within the 280-25 BC period that will be included in a DLC.

Also, because larger scenarios work badly on older systems, we recommend that all scenarios submitted for addition to the official FTP have not much more than 64 units per side (and use the "StrengthMultiplier" universal variable to compensate, as done in the vanilla scenario scripts). I won't be able to include any scenarios that do not run absolutely smoothly on my (relatively high end) system.

Of course there is nothing to stop you posting download links for scenarios that do not meet these criteria on the board.
Richard Bodley Scott

welk

Post by welk »

Damned, it's "deloyale concurrence", I planed to sell my scenario 0,0001 $ and to become riche with :mrgreen:

I will conitnue the work on my Raphia project because I suspect you to not use massive elefants units in scenario battles (cf Magnesia battle ) :mrgreen: (and I love war elefant units :twisted: )

Note : on my PC, that is not very "high power", I have no pb with large battles scenarios like my Raphia : all run ok

EDIT : what is the "StrengthMultiplier" universal variable and how to use it ?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Hoplite1963 wrote:Hi Paul

Regards
Ian
Hi Ian,

I can't see your pm.

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

welk wrote:Damned, it's "deloyale concurrence", I planed to sell my scenario 0,0001 $ and to become riche with :mrgreen:

I will conitnue the work on my Raphia project because I suspect you to not use massive elefants units in scenario battles (cf Magnesia battle ) :mrgreen: (and I love war elefant units :twisted: )

Note : on my PC, that is not very "high power", I have no pb with large battles scenarios like my Raphia : all run ok

For an example see:

/Campaigns/2Rise_of_Rome/SCENARIOS/Magnesia_Roman.BSF

line 52

SetUniversalVar("StrengthMultiplier", 286);

This means that all reported unit strengths and casualties will be multiplied by 2.86

If it was

SetUniversalVar("StrengthMultiplier", 100);

the default values would be reported.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

welk wrote:Damned, it's "deloyale concurrence", I planed to sell my scenario 0,0001 $ and to become riche with :mrgreen:

Hi welk,

I have already made a Raphia scenario, but cannot post it for the same reasons that Richard mentioned to you. I don't mind if you design your own version, the more the merrier. In the future maybe they can both be posted.

I don't know if you have seen my scenarios, and the way I have treated Elephants? Have a look at my Appollonia scenario, here is how I have changed the elephants:

a) When an elephant unit routs, all friendly units within 3 squares suffer a cohesion test. This has been achieved by modding the MoraleTools.BSF in the scenarios Data/Battle/scripts folder.

b) I have reduced elephant experience and elan levels to 25, from 100. This makes them less effective in drawn out melees, but does not affect their impact capability.

c) I have made a design decision that the elephant model actually represents 4 elephants with 4 drivers, 12 fighting crew and 16 supporting infantry. The displayed value of 32 actually refers to the total number of men. The Unitsize remains at 400, the standard game value, so this change has no real effect on play.

Both Heraclea and Elephant Victory , my other scenarios with elephants, have even more advanced rule changes, because the elephants had a profound effect on the opposing armies as they had never seen them before.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

welk

Post by welk »

rbodleyscott wrote:

For an example see:

/Campaigns/2Rise_of_Rome/SCENARIOS/Magnesia_Roman.BSF

line 52

SetUniversalVar("StrengthMultiplier", 286);

This means that all reported unit strengths and casualties will be multiplied by 2.86

If it was

SetUniversalVar("StrengthMultiplier", 100);

the default values would be reported.
Thanks for info, it's very interessant tool for scaling and avoid enormous oob, I will use it

But the pb is : when I have created my unique scenario Raphia, this operation did not create a Raphia.bsf file, juste a Raphia.BAM
Have I to create this file myself manually ?

Concerning my Raphia scénario, I will limit it for game vs IA (not multiplayer), but in all cases, I will also buy the DLC with your Raphia (2 Raphias are better than one :mrgreen: )
welk

Post by welk »

Paul59 wrote:

Hi welk,

I have already made a Raphia scenario, but cannot post it for the same reasons that Richard mentioned to you. I don't mind if you design your own version, the more the merrier. In the future maybe they can both be posted.

I don't know if you have seen my scenarios, and the way I have treated Elephants? Have a look at my Appollonia scenario, here is how I have changed the elephants:

a) When an elephant unit routs, all friendly units within 3 squares suffer a cohesion test. This has been achieved by modding the MoraleTools.BSF in the scenarios Data/Battle/scripts folder.

b) I have reduced elephant experience and elan levels to 25, from 100. This makes them less effective in drawn out melees, but does not affect their impact capability.

c) I have made a design decision that the elephant model actually represents 4 elephants with 4 drivers, 12 fighting crew and 16 supporting infantry. The displayed value of 32 actually refers to the total number of men. The Unitsize remains at 400, the standard game value, so this change has no real effect on play.

Both Heraclea and Elephant Victory , my other scenarios with elephants, have even more advanced rule changes, because the elephants had a profound effect on the opposing armies as they had never seen them before.

Yes, I have downloaded all your published battles on the Slitherine system and I have seen your modifications, it's very interessant (for elephants routing effect, I plane to set 4 or 5 in place of 3 for distance)

Please, could you send to me your Raphia battle (and in general, all others battles that are not published ? I will keep them as private stuff to study your modifications and to learn script modding FOG2

Have you any infos about the Raphia oob ?
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Paul59 wrote:
Hoplite1963 wrote:Hi Paul

Regards
Ian
Hi Ian,

I can't see your pm.

Paul
Hi Paul sent it again hopefully you have it now
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

welk wrote:
Paul59 wrote:

Hi welk,

Yes, I have downloaded all your published battles on the Slitherine system and I have seen your modifications, it's very interessant (for elephants routing effect, I plane to set 4 or 5 in place of 3 for distance)

Please, could you send to me your Raphia battle (and in general, all others battles that are not published ? I will keep them as private stuff to study your modifications and to learn script modding FOG2

Have you any infos about the Raphia oob ?
Hi welk,

I am away from home this weekend, but I will send you Raphia when I get back on Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, send me a pm through this site with your email address.

The Apollonia has the same modded MoraleTools.BSF as Raphia, so you can start to have a look at that. I will show you how to mod the cohesion test range when I get back next week.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

welk

Post by welk »

Thanks, Paul. MP send

Return to “Field of Glory II: Scenario Design”