Fantasy armies

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Lord Irish
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Fantasy armies

Post by Lord Irish » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:16 pm

I'd like to see a fantasy armies DLC. It would be fun to play with Uruk-hai warbands, mumakil, elven longbowmen, hobbit slingers. If someone could create a mod, that would be wonderful, too!

SnuggleBunnies
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Fantasy armies

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Buying the rights would be insanely expensive. As for a mod, that's possible in theory, but it would require somebody skilled in graphical work.

MikeC_81
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeC_81 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:41 pm

You could probably do generic fantasy without specific reference to franchise specific names like Uruk-hai. But there is so much flavour to explore still in ancients.
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

Tresantes
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Tresantes » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:42 am

As the author of an alternate history novel dealing with a zombie Battle of Marathon, I would love to see a mod covering that version of the battle. If only my modding skills...existed.
Zombies could have a similar unsettling impact on all combatants as camels on horses.
They would have to have rout turned off, as they have no morale to crack.
They would maybe count as Protected, since although they wear no armour, they can take a lot of damage.
A deep formation would capture the horde effect.

Not everybody's cup of tea, of course, and I apologise for butting in to a discussion on fantasy armies - but this post got me thinking...
Meanwhile, back to real world combatants! Can't wait for Immortal Fire!

Scutarii
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Scutarii » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:27 am

The cheap option is create custom fantasy armies... orks, humans, elfs, undead, ninja punch drunk mutant zombies....

Or do like in Deadlock and search a franchise not exploited or that only have very poor games... if they manage to buy WH40k i dont see imposible have "Ice and fire" (Game or thrones) that for me offer an insteresting medieval army list... even could be a independent title if you dont want FOG II or if you have FOG II have the individual game and activate the army lists in FOG II (a game based in GOT needs a good campaign with multiple factions).

But a generic fantasy army list is not bad option to, i imagine something like a skeletons army that every turn recover a certain amount of soldiers that instead route when arrive to autoroute they simple disapear... and if you kill the general all units in a radious of 4-5 hexes disapear.

A zombie army could raise new units like in Sanctus reach and the "invocation" of little goblins... is not like engine cant deal with it.

But i dont think we see fantasy armies soon in the moment is faster, easier and cheaper introduce FOG army lists.

Adraeth
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Adraeth » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:54 am

i suppose a good modder might work on some generic fantasy army lists, maybe when some middleage list will appear; for example a XIII century based army list, or maybe a "legions triumphant" army list with barbarians and romans might be really interesting to work on. Romans might be ... well humans, slavs might be horse tribes, generic foot barbarians .. orcs ... and so on...

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:18 pm

I prefer have the "oficial army list" and mod over it, for mods i prefer add extra value in the form of things you cant see officially... here fantasy armies is interesting BUT i have the impresion that a dedicated game version for it is needed to add special rules .... i see better have 2 diferent games FOG 2 and FOG Fantasy with the ability to use armies from both games to made real VS fantasy battles BUT with a dedicated fantasy game to cover campaigns and exclusive content that you cant use with FOF 2 armies.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:36 pm

"fantasy army" doesn't always have to equate with medieval. I think most of us here are old enough to remember movies like Jason ands the Argonauts ( greeks fighting animated skeleton warriors etc) Sinbad, Clash of the Titans with that stupid mechanical owl.

Be fun to have something "fantasy oriented" as an expansion, and even Slitherine had a fantasy expansion for their Roman realtime tactical game ( Cult of Mithras I think?)

Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Scutarii wrote:I prefer have the "oficial army list" and mod over it, for mods i prefer add extra value in the form of things you cant see officially... here fantasy armies is interesting BUT i have the impresion that a dedicated game version for it is needed to add special rules .... i see better have 2 diferent games FOG 2 and FOG Fantasy with the ability to use armies from both games to made real VS fantasy battles BUT with a dedicated fantasy game to cover campaigns and exclusive content that you cant use with FOF 2 armies.
I'd like the idea of FoG Medieval, FoG Fantasy, FoG ACW, FoG Nappy, FoG WW1, and FoG HYW. The units alone would be awesome to create.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Lord Irish

Post by Lord Irish » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 pm

I wonder if this game's designers could start a program where they could produce custom armies for gamers and charge a fee?

vakarr
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by vakarr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 am

Easier to get Medieval Total War 2 and the superb "Third Age Total War" mod

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:26 am

vakarr wrote:Easier to get Medieval Total War 2 and the superb "Third Age Total War" mod
Well, i want a tactical wargame not a clickfest game... i never like realtime+tactical combo many times victory is based in who click faster and not who has the best tactical disposition.

For me a fantasy version of FOG 2 is not a bad idea specially if you can have it as separate game and at same time you can use armies from one version in other to play skirmish.

Return to “Field of Glory II”