Field of Glory II Tournament

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Field of Glory II Tournament

Post by devoncop »

76mm wrote:
devoncop wrote:If you click on the white "Tournaments" header at the top of the Field of Glory forum page it takes you to the page where you can click on the past and present tournaments and when the next one opens you can enter the next one.
I'm feeling pretty dense, I still don't see any results. Are you talking about this link:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=494

There's a bunch of stuff in there, but no results that I can see?
No not there.... :D

Rather than go into the forum discussion sections...go to the very top of the page...the word "Tournaments" is in white in between " beta tests" and "Forums". Once you hit "Tournaments" it takes you to the sections I am referring to.

Hopefully that should help ...
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

Doh, got it. I guess I will try to sign up for the next one, see how it goes. Do you know which armies are involved in each round before the tourney starts?
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

No you don't....or to qualify that a bit....as yet we haven't been told until the Tournaments have started although I have to say I enjoyed the anticipation and then frantically practising with some obscure armies (I am looking at you Dacia) as the tournament began.

I have discovered some such as Sarmatia than are pretty formidable on the right map I would never have rated just looking at an army list.

The names of the Tournaments for the last two were big hints though as the second "Phyrros" had some of the Pike based armies and the third, "Beyond the Fringe" was barbarian type.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:Doh, got it. I guess I will try to sign up for the next one, see how it goes. Do you know which armies are involved in each round before the tourney starts?
Well I am not sure why the announcement isn't up yet for the holiday tournament, but here is the list of battles.

This tournament will involve five rounds. The battles will be medium-sized custom battles.
Round 1: Seleucid (205BC – 167BC) vs Roman (199BC – 106BC) (Mediterranean Agricultural)
Round 2: Pergamon (190BC – 129BC) vs Pontic (281BC – 111BC) (Mediterranean Hilly)
Round 3: Bosporan (84BC – 11BC) vs Dacian (50BC – 106AD) (Norh European Agricultural)
Round 4: Jewish (64BC – 6AD) vs Ptolemaic (55BC – 30BC) (Middle East Hilly)
Round 5: Ancient British (60BC – 80AD) vs Roman (105BC – 25BC) (North European Agricultural)

The other tournaments had their rounds announced in advance. There wasn't any need to wait and see what each round would be.
Richard Bodley Scott

76mm

Post by 76mm »

rbodleyscott wrote:Well I am not sure why the announcement isn't up yet for the holiday tournament...
I've missed the sign up for the various other tournaments--how does sign up work, via e-mail, or is there some other mechanism? Do we need to camp out in front of Slitherine headquarters?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:Well I am not sure why the announcement isn't up yet for the holiday tournament...
I've missed the sign up for the various other tournaments--how does sign up work, via e-mail, or is there some other mechanism? Do we need to camp out in front of Slitherine headquarters?
No, just go here:

http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/t ... sp?aPage=1

then log in and sign up for the "Field of Glory II Holiday Tournament 2017"
Richard Bodley Scott

Captaii
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Captaii »

Five rounds! Great! :)
My ingame nickname is Caothri.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

yippee, just signed up, thanks.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Edit nvm
Last edited by SnuggleBunnies on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

Nice mix of armies
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Lancier »

Thanks.
rbodleyscott wrote: No, just go here:

http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/tournaments.asp

then log in and sign up for the "Field of Glory II Holiday Tournament 2017"

This tournament will involve five rounds. The battles will be medium-sized custom battles.

Round 1: Seleucid (205BC – 167BC) vs Roman (199BC – 106BC) (Mediterranean Agricultural)
Round 2: Pergamon (190BC – 129BC) vs Pontic (281BC – 111BC) (Mediterranean Hilly)
Round 3: Bosporan (84BC – 11BC) vs Dacian (50BC – 106AD) (Norh European Agricultural)
Round 4: Jewish (64BC – 6AD) vs Ptolemaic (55BC – 30BC) (Middle East Hilly)
Round 5: Ancient British (60BC – 80AD) vs Roman (105BC – 25BC) (North European Agricultural)
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Barrold713 »

I'm in!
rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by rexhurley »

In future tournaments can we please put a default code in place somehow of preventing people being able to surrender mid game, I was six turns in against Gabelou I was about 5% ahead with the Sarmatians but set to pretty much finish him in two moves and get a big score which I needed to get back up the ladder and boof he up and surrenders and I'm left with a lousy 67 points now that just sucks and then some.....
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

Sounds about right, a win is scored as 60 points and you were up around 5% so around 65 points scored for that battle
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
76mm

Post by 76mm »

rexhurley wrote:In future tournaments can we please put a default code in place somehow of preventing people being able to surrender mid game, I was six turns in against Gabelou I was about 5% ahead with the Sarmatians but set to pretty much finish him in two moves and get a big score which I needed to get back up the ladder and boof he up and surrenders and I'm left with a lousy 67 points now that just sucks and then some.....
So how does scoring work in the tourneys? I didn't see the rules but haven't looked very hard yet.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:So how does scoring work in the tourneys? I didn't see the rules but haven't looked very hard yet.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 77&t=80716
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

MikeC_81 wrote:Sounds about right, a win is scored as 60 points and you were up around 5% so around 65 points scored for that battle
No, I agree with Rex here. I think these sort of games should be scored 85pts to the winner. That is 60pts for the win plus 25 points which is the minimum winning margin required in all matches, except for those where the losing player reaches 60% losses. I recently noticed that the default score for a bye has been increased from 60pts to 75pts, which is an improvement, but I still feel that 85pts is more appropriate.
rexhurley

Post by rexhurley »

MikeC_81 wrote:Sounds about right, a win is scored as 60 points and you were up around 5% so around 65 points scored for that battle
Mike my point is why should I accept 65 points because the player surrended early in the game when if he played it out for two more turns with honour I would have got a maximum score of around 95 or more.......plus it leaves a bad tatse in your mouth when a player continues with game they think they can win but throw in the towel early when out manouvred, just a principle thing I suppose.

As it its now I have pulled the other game back to a balance it looks like he is just going to let it time out in the other game sigh.

And thanks Pete that suggestion would at leave some balance to it rather than this although I would still rather see people made to play to conclusion since they have knowingly entered a "tournament".
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

rexhurley wrote:Mike my point is why should I accept 65 points because the player surrended early in the game when if he played it out for two more turns with honour I would have got a maximum score of around 95 or more.......plus it leaves a bad tatse in your mouth when a player continues with game they think they can win but throw in the towel early when out manouvred, just a principle thing I suppose.
I disagree a little bit with you here, Rex. I was a latecomer to FOG1 and when I started playing in LOEG I quickly understood that resigning a match was frowned upon. So I complied with the rule even though I thought that players should be able to resign if they felt their situation was hopeless. Exactly like they do in chess. With the FOGDL, resigning was allowed and the very simple scoring system (you got league points for winning or drawing) meant that players did not lose out when it happened. However, with the automated tournament system every casualty point won or lost can make a difference to where you end up in the table, so resignations are a much more pressing issue. I take the view that it is the tournament organisers' responsibility to make sure players don't feel let down by the scoring system. For me, a player resigning represents a catastrophic loss of morale in that army which results in everyone legging it. So 85pts is the bare minimum that players should get, in my opinion. You are quite correct to point out that it is fairly common for players to score 90+ or 100+ pts. I also think that it would be quite reasonable for resigning players to lose any points they might have won in the game so the default score would be at least 85-0.
And thanks Pete that suggestion would at leave some balance to it rather than this although I would still rather see people made to play to conclusion since they have knowingly entered a "tournament".
Unfortunately that can never work. What we need is a system where players can resign without rancour and a scoring system that rewards the players who have caused those resignations.
shawkhan2
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by shawkhan2 »

I think it would be simple enough to consider the resigning player's army broken/routed in event of resignation, at either the 40% or 60% level, whichever is more appropriate and score accordingly.
My major gripe with the tournament rules as they stand is the opponent selection process. When an experienced player is pitted against a newbie, he is likely to achieve an unrealistically high score, making luck a huge determiner of success in scoring. We desperately need a rating system for players, matching opponents of approximately equal ability if tournament results are expected to be representative of overall ability. It would be easy enough to rate tournament players by the average scores they have achieved in games played. Have players compete by tiers, according to their ratings and newbies would not have to be humiliated on the battlefield by the current masters of mayhem present. This I think would be a positive step for the hobby.

Return to “Field of Glory II”