Small suggestions thread

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by Lancier »

Game is new (not even completed its 1st month lol) MP addicts need to be patient i guess (me first lol-more Estas Tonne) as long as Richard is here (great support to the game after release so far, thanks!) i am sure he will solve all the balance issues which is the hardest part of MP skirmishers acc. to me in such tactical games. Time heals all wounds. ^^
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Cunningcairn wrote:
Cunningcairn wrote:Hi Richard

1. It would be nice to be able to deploy anywhere across the map's baseline within the depth restrictions of the deployment zone. Currently you can waste 4 to 5 turns to get across the map to suitable terrain.
2. General allocation is random as I can end up with a huge army with 2 generals or a very small army with 5 generals. Is there no way to allow the player to decide on the number of generals within certain limits?

rgrds Martin
Further to point 2 Ulysisgrunt and I have just started a 2000 point game (Rhoxolani vs Sarmatian) and have each been allocated 1 sub general. No CinC's. In my case my sub-general is a troop general so even of I huddled all the troops into a square around him some would still be out of his command control.
The generals issue will be corrected in today's patch.

The deployment areas are working as designed. The idea is to prevent an army using the map edge to protect one flank. Also to ensure that the armies are at least approximately facing each other. (Deploying missing the enemy front completely is not something that generally happened in ancient battles)
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Cunningcairn wrote:
KiwiWarlord wrote:After what I saw earlier tonight I am wondering if the combat system needs a tweek or three.
Enemy unit of 200 Light Infantry, JLS in the open at the base of a hill charged by 220 superior Macedonian Cavalry with General, holds, I then charge 900 Macedonian Pikemen into the LI, they hold again and remain in good order. I then charge 230 more Macedonian Cavalry down hill into these LI and they hold in good order again.
So 200 Light Infantry in the open hold against 1350 Cav & Pikemen in one turn.
I suggested to my opponent that he rush out and buy a Lotto ticket.

I agree but not getting any response from anyone.
Thanks for all your observations and suggestions, we do take note of them all, but do not always respond to each individual post. Doing so takes time away from improving the game.
Richard Bodley Scott

Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Cunningcairn wrote:
KiwiWarlord wrote:After what I saw earlier tonight I am wondering if the combat system needs a tweek or three.
Enemy unit of 200 Light Infantry, JLS in the open at the base of a hill charged by 220 superior Macedonian Cavalry with General, holds, I then charge 900 Macedonian Pikemen into the LI, they hold again and remain in good order. I then charge 230 more Macedonian Cavalry down hill into these LI and they hold in good order again.
So 200 Light Infantry in the open hold against 1350 Cav & Pikemen in one turn.
I suggested to my opponent that he rush out and buy a Lotto ticket.

I agree but not getting any response from anyone.
Thanks for all your observations and suggestions, we do take note of them all, but do not always respond to each individual post. Doing so takes time away from improving the game.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.
Lehnardtsson
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Lehnardtsson »

I would appreciate :
*to choose the module (either rise of rome, or immortal) when i create a custom battle instead of having 110 list to check
*having the possibility to select my favorite armies when I create
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Lehnardtsson wrote:I would appreciate :
*to choose the module (either rise of rome, or immortal) when i create a custom battle instead of having 110 list to check
*having the possibility to select my favorite armies when I create
Noted.
Richard Bodley Scott

BornGinger
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BornGinger »

I'm completely new to FoG 2 and wonder if there are any battles of cities in the game. From what I've seen in videos on YouTube all battles are fought on the field. A battle of a city is of course not necessary but it would be fun to see what it would look like with a gate or a wall being breached and the defenders trying to stop the attackers from entering and then conquering the city. If there aren't any battles of that kind I suggest that the developers make one or two.

If it's possible to make such a battle in the scenario editor, I could try to make one myself when I've managed to grasp the know how of using the editor.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

I’m not an expert of this era. Was there any historical urban battle recorded?

People can definitely make one if they like (like the Battle of Pyeongyang in Sengoku Jidai). The building blocks are all there. There is a Battle of Alesia already made by a user for FoG2 which is a fort assault scenario.
grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by grumblefish »

Is there a button to remove the banners, if only temporarily/while pressed?

The banners are informative, sure, but they are also kind of ugly and clutter up the screen. This ruins some screenshots, and there are times when I'd rather just look at the battlefield without these floating flags everywhere.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

grumblefish wrote:Is there a button to remove the banners, if only temporarily/while pressed?

The banners are informative, sure, but they are also kind of ugly and clutter up the screen. This ruins some screenshots, and there are times when I'd rather just look at the battlefield without these floating flags everywhere.
Not currently.
Richard Bodley Scott

Lehnardtsson

Post by Lehnardtsson »

one thing I am missing :
- The impetuous units : units that do not obey and start to charge the nearest unit (warband / cavalry etc...)

Things I would like to have as options
- one scale to set the ressource of each army like the volume speaker on the computer (you do not need to write it)
- changing color for banners
- units not moving continuously - no animation option like in most strategic games
- wider place for setting up units
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Lehnardtsson wrote:Things I would like to have as options
- one scale to set the ressource of each army like the volume speaker on the computer (you do not need to write it)
I am not sure what you mean by this.
- units not moving continuously - no animation option like in most strategic games
Yesterday's patch added the option to turn off idle animations - see settings.
wider place for setting up units
Deployment areas are intentionally restricted to prevent as army from using the map edge to protect one flank, and so that the AI's army is approximately facing yours at the start. If you don't like it, it could be modded, but it is currently working as designed.
Richard Bodley Scott

Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Lehnardtsson wrote:one thing I am missing :
- The impetuous units : units that do not obey and start to charge the nearest unit (warband / cavalry etc...)
I can't find a link right now but this has already been discussed at great length on the forums. Someone else will have to tell you the conclusion.
Lehnardtsson wrote:one thing I am missing :
- changing color for banners
Colours were specifically chosen to work with as wide a range of colour blindness as possible and were tweaked during beta to improve readability over a busy and constantly changing background. Colourizing a large greyscale flag has a negative impact on the quality.
But you're free to edit them to your hearts content. Data\Battle\Banners

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

jomni wrote:I’m not an expert of this era. Was there any historical urban battle recorded?

People can definitely make one if they like (like the Battle of Pyeongyang in Sengoku Jidai). The building blocks are all there. There is a Battle of Alesia already made by a user for FoG2 which is a fort assault scenario.
Pyrrhos was killed in just such a battle, in an attack on the city of Argos in 272 BC.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

rbodleyscott wrote:
grumblefish wrote:Is there a button to remove the banners, if only temporarily/while pressed?

Not currently.

Sounds promising!

A gamma option would be great, too. Sometimes I feel the gamma is set too high and things look washed out.
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

Paul59 wrote:
jomni wrote:I’m not an expert of this era. Was there any historical urban battle recorded?

Pyrrhos was killed in just such a battle, in an attack on the city of Argos in 272 BC.
The battle/sneak attack between Thebans and Plataeans at the beginning of the Peloponnesian War comes immediately to mind, too.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

grumblefish wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:

Not currently.

Sounds promising!

A gamma option would be great, too. Sometimes I feel the gamma is set too high and things look washed out.

The art was done on a colour callibrated monitor so its the best I can do. However more control over colour and tone would be a benefit as most people seem to use factory default settings which are nearly always designed for marketting rather than use.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Can we pause the replay? is that too much to ask? :wink: ^^

Still Slitherine notification emails coming (for our skirmish MPs) as "random battle your turn"? and with no name of our opponents, could that be changed?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Lancier wrote:Can we pause the replay? is that too much to ask? :wink: ^^

Still Slitherine notification emails coming (for our skirmish MPs) as "random battle your turn"? and with no name of our opponents, could that be changed?
These things are on the wishlist. Nothing happens instantly, there are many calls on development time. They have to be prioritised.
Richard Bodley Scott

Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Thanks Richard.
Also i am not sure if discussed here: Can Force points for both sides be written in MP lobby. Also name of the battle in the lobby (which will be used in notification email too i guess)

rbodleyscott wrote:
Lancier wrote:Can we pause the replay? is that too much to ask? :wink: ^^

These things are on the wishlist. Nothing happens instantly, there are many calls on development time. They have to be prioritised.

Return to “Field of Glory II”