Fog II and Pike and Shot II?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Fog II and Pike and Shot II?

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Not to give anything away, but Richard and his team should really create Pike and Shot II, using the Fog II game engine! This is such an enjoyable game and I feel that P&S would really be outstanding using it. Just a random thought... :wink:
Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Fog II and Pike and Shot II?

Post by Lancier »

+1 ^^
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

I would like a rules update for Pike & Shot Campaigns (and I would be willing to pay for it), but I wouldn't want the unit graphics to change. The 3-D modelling in Field of Glory II is both a content bottleneck and economic constraint.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

w_michael wrote:I would like a rules update for Pike & Shot Campaigns (and I would be willing to pay for it), but I wouldn't want the unit graphics to change. The 3-D modelling in Field of Glory II is both a content bottleneck and economic constraint.
Which rules would you like updated?
Richard Bodley Scott

Jishmael

Post by Jishmael »

rbodleyscott wrote:
w_michael wrote:I would like a rules update for Pike & Shot Campaigns (and I would be willing to pay for it), but I wouldn't want the unit graphics to change. The 3-D modelling in Field of Glory II is both a content bottleneck and economic constraint.
generals and cnc effects come to mind immediately.

the protection of nearby artillery by infantry units from sengoku jidai is another thing id love for P&S (not sure if its period appropriate though)

I personally really like the pushback mechanic, but again not sure if it fits the scale and period of P&S
Hello there, I hope you like Warbands
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jishmael wrote:the protection of nearby artillery by infantry units from sengoku jidai is another thing id love for P&S (not sure if its period appropriate though)
It certainly is.
Richard Bodley Scott

julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

I agree that the P&S graphics should not change. P&S looks like a battle is being fought in front of you. FoGII looks like a wargame is being played in front of you.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

julianbarker wrote:I agree that the P&S graphics should not change. P&S looks like a battle is being fought in front of you. FoGII looks like a wargame is being played in front of you.
I'd agree that I'd like the style of the P&S graphics to remain, however, it would be nice to make them a bit nicer as they are quite basic at present.

Must admit that I personally wouldn't want much changed in P&S - FWIW I think it is a better game than FoGII anyway.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

rbodleyscott wrote:
I don't want ammo limits, so automatic fire is good.
Undo move.
Generals w/ command group move.
Turn and shoot (in one click).
Push backs & follow ups.
Pass through.
Right-mouse dragging to rotate map view.
1 = LOF, 2 = LOS, 3 = Command range
Post-Battle review.
Right-click to adjudicate existing melees.
Red coloured floating casualty markers to indicate a lost combat.
Remove the Player Side army list groupings (Pro-Imperialist/Anti-Imperialist) so that any army list can be matched against any other.
Player colour surround of national banners on units so that when Sienna vs. Florence you can tell one side's units from the other (both Italian 1494-1530 lists).
Last edited by w_michael on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

If I could only pick three:
The new ZOC rules.
Ammo (reaction fire would need be assessed)
New skirmish map types ie steppe desert and battle; advanced/ rear guard and baggage train
Jishmael

Post by Jishmael »

I wouldnt want ammo personally. but heck yes to the interface and pass through!

edit:
argument: ammo limit with armies and gameplay that are heavily reliant on shooting might just make the whole thing tedious in my opinion.
Hello there, I hope you like Warbands
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

rbodleyscott wrote:Which rules would you like updated?
Far fewer "scruffy battles" . . .

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 99&t=73438

Camps, baggage trains, ammunition supply wagons etc. To give each army a rear. They just seem to have a front at the moment. It is one of the main reasons why I didn't play the game as much as I do FOG, although much of it is really excellent. I can't remember where the debate got to about generals either. They need to be represented in some way, even if it is predominantly to enhance the game's historical atmosphere.
Yggdrassil
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Yggdrassil »

Since we're voicing wishes, I would love for a wargame (any wargame - P&S, FoG II, a third entity...) to incorporate 16th-17th century sieges (vauban system!) in a more realistic fashion. I am thinking stuff like laying down saps and trenches, deciding where to build artillery platforms, concentrating fire on section of walls, undermining walls, keeping an eye on supply... I think it could work well in a turn based system, with 1 turn being a day/night, until a wall is breached - then a separate battle focusing on the storming of the breach can be played out as a separate battle with standard turn times. If the attack on the breach fails, the attacker either goes back to the siege phase (if enough attack points/supply/whatever), or a siege is lifted (if the attacker fails the points check).

A guy can dream, right ? :)
Aryaman
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Aryaman »

I would like a change in the movement, so that units changing direction wheel instead of rotate,
Also I would like late 17th century units to be less manoeuvrable,
Finally I would like units changing face in front of enemy units to run a morale check like the one of units stepping back
SundiataWTF
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by SundiataWTF »

I differ from most of the posters in that I WOULD like to see P&S graphics updated to FOG2 standards. I'm a gamer for whom graphics help with immersion, which, for me, is kin to entertainment.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

The only things I would like would be the addition of secondary zoc, and pushbacks.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Bombax
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Bombax »

Things I would like to see included -
- Undo Move

Things I wouldn't like to see included -
- New graphics
- Ammo limit (ugh!)
- Er, anything else...
julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

SundiataWTF wrote:I differ from most of the posters in that I WOULD like to see P&S graphics updated to FOG2 standards. I'm a gamer for whom graphics help with immersion, which, for me, is kin to entertainment.

For me supersized out of scale animated figures repeating the same moves over and over destroy the immersion. It makes the game look like a tabletop wargame (which for FoG might make sense as it is derived from a table top game) but P&S graphics look like 16th and 17th century illustrations of battles so for me help with the immersion as you are seeing the battle as a contemporary would imagine a battle from on high. I would rather see a pike phalanx as a solid block of close order troops under flowing banners etc rather than a dozen or so figures dancing around or shadow boxing. I never bought FoG due to the tabletop look and nearly didn't buy FoG II for this reason.
Yggdrassil

Post by Yggdrassil »

julianbarker wrote:
For me supersized out of scale animated figures repeating the same moves over and over destroy the immersion. It makes the game look like a tabletop wargame (which for FoG might make sense as it is derived from a table top game) but P&S graphics look like 16th and 17th century illustrations of battles so for me help with the immersion as you are seeing the battle as a contemporary would imagine a battle from on high. I would rather see a pike phalanx as a solid block of close order troops under flowing banners etc rather than a dozen or so figures dancing around or shadow boxing. I never bought FoG due to the tabletop look and nearly didn't buy FoG II for this reason.

I agree with this completely. P&S units gove the impression of actual units, as in clumps on men standing in formation. FoGII units look like token figures.

Though higher level of detail is very much needed. And more artwork to appear as illustrations of said units - right now everything uses the same few pictures - swiss, landesknechts, tercios, swedish units...everything is the same.

Though, as understand it, there will be no P&S 2. We will get maybe in future the appropriate module for FoG II but that's it. FoGII basically is the sequel.
Yggdrassil

Post by Yggdrassil »

And not too be overlooked are the system requirements. FoGII is a resource hog. I enjoy playing P&S on my windows tablet. With FoGII this is impossible. Even my wife's laptop is too weak to run it.

Return to “Field of Glory II”