Germany Grand Campaign

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

sinbuster
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Germany Grand Campaign

Post by sinbuster »

Thanks for all your work Erik.

I was fiddling around trying to add the Moscow scenario and had one idea about naming the scenario something like 001Moscow so it would appear before Poznan but I'm admittedly crap with the editor. Can't change order of scenarios, can't edit much with notepad. Ah well, I hope the devs give the editor some love in the new year.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

sinbuster wrote:Thanks for all your work Erik.

I was fiddling around trying to add the Moscow scenario and had one idea about naming the scenario something like 001Moscow so it would appear before Poznan but I'm admittedly crap with the editor. Can't change order of scenarios, can't edit much with notepad. Ah well, I hope the devs give the editor some love in the new year.
The renaming work-around was how I was able to replace the Denmark-scenario with the smaller Sjælland-variant.
But I'm reluctant to fiddle about like this too much in case I break something else.
One scenario may be used in more than one branch and with 90+ scenarios in this campaign it is getting difficult to keep track of everything :shock:

I hope the designer creating the next official campaign (Afrika, Endkrieg?) will use the campaign editor exclusively. That should bring this editor up to speed.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

@Erik
:D
For real?
Attachments
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (370.49 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@Gabeknight, Erik: This is so cool. Awesome. All hail Erik. :mrgreen:
airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 »

Rumor has it that while that Kriegsmarine battlegroup was sailing past they rendered a 21 gun salute to the best OOB map and mod maker :mrgreen:
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

At first I considered it, but chose not to invade that part of Norway :wink:
(I hope I didn't miss out some kind of easter egg surprise... :D )
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Yes, that is my house.
If you zoom in real close you can spot the cat, the two Great Danes and my wife 8)
Szenk
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Szenk »

After I finish the Brest scenario, the next should be Bergen, while the game on the screen between the scenarios shows me Denmark, and the scenario description looks like this: “scenario-descr”. When I choose “start the select scenario” the game reads eternally and nothing happens.
Game version 5.2.3 - 64 bit, version of mod 1.3.

Sorry for my bad english, I use google translator.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

After Brest the campaign moves to Sjælland (one of the main Danish islands).
After Sjælland you get a choice of one of the Norwegian invasions; Narvik, Trondheim, Bergen and Oslo.
After Norway it is time for Fall Gelb; Eben-Emael.

I just nuked my way through the scenarios and Sjælland loads fine.
Try downloading the campaign again (yes, I know it is large...) and then restart the Sjælland scenario.
Screenshot from the campaign.

Note that later on the Eastern Front there are some campaign issues which I can't solve until the Campaign Editor itself is fixed. Hopefully in the next patch.
Attachments
sjælland.jpg
sjælland.jpg (149.61 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Szenk

Post by Szenk »

Oh, I was fooled by the numbering of scenarios in the catalog:
10Brest
11Bergen
11Narvik
11Oslo
11Sola
11Trondheim
12SjĹlland

I downloaded campaign again, but still the same.
And I do not want to repeat the entire campaign, not knowing if everything will happen again. It's a pity, because it was fun to play.

Edit: Aaaa, I found a solution :)
My Polish windows changed the name of the scenario - instead of Sjælland, I had SjĹlland. After changing the name of the directory, everything started working.
I apologize for the confusion and thanks for the answer.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

It looks like the Nordic character æ is causing your problems. I have replaced the æ with ae in the scenario folder name and updated the campaign file to v1.4.
Link updated in first post.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Erik,

while playing the above mentioned "Oslo" scenario, I noticed something which I guess hadn't the new train mechanic in mind. With this mechanic, meaning that trains cannot enter areas outside of support, it's almost impossible to achieve all objectives with such large maps and the given turn limits. I captured Oslo very early with one paratrooper and advanced from there, but could barely make it to the south edge to meet the primary objective. I had to deploy one paratrooper unit to Horten (how do you suppose to meet this objective if both paratrooper units are killed?). And there is no way any of my troops could have made it to the fortress at Glenne. Maybe I could have sent the other paratrooper unit there, but he'd never get any support.
Maybe you could keep that in mind for existing and future scenarios. Thanks.

PS: Oh, and the "capture Kjeller airstrip" objective didn't check, even after I got the airstrip myself.
Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Navman2854 »

Erik2 wrote:After Brest the campaign moves to Sjælland (one of the main Danish islands).
After Sjælland you get a choice of one of the Norwegian invasions; Narvik, Trondheim, Bergen and Oslo.
After Norway it is time for Fall Gelb; Eben-Emael.

I just nuked my way through the scenarios and Sjælland loads fine.
Try downloading the campaign again (yes, I know it is large...) and then restart the Sjælland scenario.
Screenshot from the campaign.

Note that later on the Eastern Front there are some campaign issues which I can't solve until the Campaign Editor itself is fixed. Hopefully in the next patch.
Hey Eric, have this happening on AI Turn 2. The Sjaelland scenario loads fine, able to deploy and get thru complete Turn 1, then this occurs. Have updated to v1.4. Quick question, when updating should I remove the prior campaign folders? I've tried it both ways, no difference. Great work by the way!! :D
Fabio3110
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fabio3110 »

Navman2854 wrote: Hey Eric, have this happening on AI Turn 2. The Sjaelland scenario loads fine, able to deploy and get thru complete Turn 1, then this occurs. :D
This also happens for me (Oslo scenario aswell at ai turn 5) i am unable to leave and have to force quit whole oob. Other scenarios work fine.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Campaign updated to v1.5 in first post.

Sjælland AI and German reinforcements fixed.

Oslo AI fixed. Added seaborne detachments to capture Tønsberg, Horten and Oscarsborg.
Moved German airlifted reinforcements further from Fornebu airfield.
Moved Kriegsmarine units closer to Oscarsborg.
Added trucks to seaborne German infantry units arriving in Oslo.
Could not find anything wrong with the Kjeller airstrip objective.
Fabio3110
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fabio3110 »

The update fixed my problems and i have continued my campaign.
steevodeevo
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by steevodeevo »

Erik, I'm stuck on Narvik, The AI is thinking in a perpetual loop. I've tried restarting, no joy. Any ideas?
Also on Narvik, Ive been encountering where the next unit and end turn buttons disappear, its happened quite a lot, but I can remedy this with a restart.

Darn, this is so weird and frustrating, I wish I understood the underlying issue which I'm sure is a game mechanics issue rather than the scenario as I've gone back to an earlier saved turn, one that rolled over previously to the next turn fine and when I run the turn again, in order to to pick up on the Grand Campaign where I left off.. the turn timer stalls on the 'thinking ' loop again.. I'm going to have to restart Narvik I think. Hopefully I don't get the circumstances again where the thinking loop occurs. First I'm going to do a complete computer restart, see if that helps..
Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 »

Eric, same issue w/Sjælland AI turn 2. Updated to v1.5 and completely restarted campaign. Played thru each scen (did not nuke thru), no real major issues except Danzig locked up a couple of times but was able to get thru that. Get to Sjælland AI turn 2 and same damn thing occurs. The screen looks exactly like your screenshot for this scen w/loading issue which I'm not having, just this AI turn 2 :?
steevodeevo

Post by steevodeevo »

steevodeevo wrote:Erik, I'm stuck on Narvik, The AI is thinking in a perpetual loop. I've tried restarting, no joy. Any ideas?
Also on Narvik, Ive been encountering where the next unit and end turn buttons disappear, its happened quite a lot, but I can remedy this with a restart.

Darn, this is so weird and frustrating, I wish I understood the underlying issue which I'm sure is a game mechanics issue rather than the scenario as I've gone back to an earlier saved turn, one that rolled over previously to the next turn fine and when I run the turn again, in order to to pick up on the Grand Campaign where I left off.. the turn timer stalls on the 'thinking ' loop again.. I'm going to have to restart Narvik I think. Hopefully I don't get the circumstances again where the thinking loop occurs. First I'm going to do a complete computer restart, see if that helps..

In addition, just in case I'm chasing a red herring saying this is a game mechanics issue. having restarted the Narvik scenario and got further this time and played a slightly different way, this time I have noticed lots of Norwegian and Brit troops I didn't see before, most notably in and around Narvik when I put a destroyer adjacent to it. I have had ships adjacent to Narvik in a couple of previous attempts and didn't see troops there, or as much troop movement on the entire map as this play-through, so I'm wondering whether I triggered something this time I didn't before and therefore when I got stuck in a loop, I should have triggered something that I didn't.. Just speculation on my part, especially as Navman says he's having similar issues on another scenario.
steevodeevo

Post by steevodeevo »

Hi Erik,

I'm happy if you respond off line in case I'm being really dumb or if the answer is a spoiler, but I am really baffled by the Narvik scenario. I have tried repeatedly, but I have no idea how to get the gun emplacement secondary objective or, in the later stages, how to build the airfield. I recall a pop up about an Engineer unit, but I don;t seem to have been given one and I have no points to create one.
Narvik.jpg
Narvik.jpg (611.45 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
Erik

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”