Field of Glory 2 Version 1.1.7 now available

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Benedict151
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Field of Glory 2 Version 1.1.7 now available

Post by Benedict151 »

Hello Everyone
Thanks to everyone for the continued feedback and suggestions. All are welcome and appreciated. Richard, Pat et al are all hard at work on the 2nd DLC for Field of Glory II but in the meantime there is a small update (v1.1.7) that corrects two bugs and revises a few unit textures

v1.1.7 is compatible with save games from 1.0.2
If you are playing a multiplayer game then both you and your opponent will need to update your versions.
This is a comprehensive update.

V1.1.7 is available from the Members area (and via 'check for updates' in the game launcher)

Members Area:
http://www.slitherine.com/members/publicDL.asp?gid=651

And from the Public area:
http://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/FieldOfG ... v1.1.7.zip

Version 1.1.7
- Corrected crash bug that occurred when trying to create new MP challenge in 800x600 resolution and some other unusual resolutions.

- Various unit textures revised or added.

- Corrected minor DLC bug
canuckgamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Field of Glory 2 Version 1.1.7 now available

Post by canuckgamer »

I just installed the update and checked out the game. I'm very disappointed that the camera angle has not been changed so that a view of the battlefield lower than 45 degrees is available. I am not proposing being able to zoom closer just being able to move the camera lower. You can see more of the battlefield and it is more panoramic. Also the replays are still at one speed, fast, and not adjustable. Hopefully these two will be considered for future updates. Thanks.
Temple
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Temple »

canuckgamer wrote:I just installed the update and checked out the game. I'm very disappointed that the camera angle has not been changed so that a view of the battlefield lower than 45 degrees is available. I am not proposing being able to zoom closer just being able to move the camera lower. You can see more of the battlefield and it is more panoramic. Also the replays are still at one speed, fast, and not adjustable. Hopefully these two will be considered for future updates. Thanks.
If you go to this thread there is some useful information on how to adjust zoom and pitch angles of the battlefield view.
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

I saw that thread but when I tried to change the pitch it said something like permission denied. When I posted this at the forum I was told that the file is read only so I would have to change it to read/write. I would have to change the file conditions. Also I would have to back up the file, give it a different name etc. The developers could probably do this in 30 seconds. When you think of FoG2 as a computer version of a table top game, what do players in a table top game do? They crouch down lower to get a different view of the miniatures so why can't you do this in the computer version?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Lower FOV will both show up the models in a way that was never intended, and it also (IIRC) break the shadowing maths.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Lower FOV will both show up the models in a way that was never intended, and it also (IIRC) break the shadowing maths.

Cheers

Pip
I'm surprised about this because the screenshots on pages 133 (bottom screenie) 135, 136, and 138 in the manual are obviously at lower angles than 45 degrees and I think they look great. The " this flank is doomed" screenshot highlights illustrates how you are able to see the entire length of a line at this lower angle.
There was also a post from someone who said he manually changed his pitch to 25 and was very happy with it. Regardless, I still hope that it is something that developers can change in a future update.
BornGinger
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BornGinger »

canuckgamer wrote:I still hope that it is something that developers can change in a future update
There is maybe someone in the forum who likes to code in Python and could make a little program that changes this with a few clicks? I guess we might find out one day.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

BornGinger wrote:
canuckgamer wrote:I still hope that it is something that developers can change in a future update
There is maybe someone in the forum who likes to code in Python and could make a little program that changes this with a few clicks? I guess we might find out one day.

Why does one need a python script to change 2 characters ( the pitch) in a text file? The issue Cannuck appears to have is one of Windows permissions to change things on your own computer. He just need to change that setting so he has administrative rights on his own computer and then he can edit that file as he likes. ( of course a back up file should be made first...)
Geordietaf
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Geordietaf »

I seem to remember from the Beta testing that a lower PoV was available together with a closer zoom. At the close zoom you could even see the faces of the individual soldiers. They all had the same faces and I assumed they were designed to look like RBS.
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Richard. I`m moving off P&S now and have now started with FOG II which I updated to Version 1.1.7. I now discover that now most of the epic historical scenarios Bagradas, Trebia, Cannae, , , etc down to Thapsus have disappeared. Epic battles now only contains IMMORTAL FIRE, RISE OF ROME and 2 scenarois I downloaded from the Community files. Please help
markwatson360

Post by markwatson360 »

Errr. . .you just select the Rise of Rome and launch and there they all are.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

As Mark says, they are listed under "Rise of Rome". The game is "clever" and if only the Rise of Rome Epic Battles module is available, it skips to showing the scenarios in the Rise of Rome module, to save unnecessary clicks. However, if there is more than one module, it shows a list of modules.
Richard Bodley Scott

edward77

Post by edward77 »

Yes thanks to you both for that. Dumbo me! Had not noticed the change after incorporating Immortal Fire. Its very impressive with a structure almost identical to P & S which is very encouraging for scenario creation. First stop maybe oblique layout for Alexander at Guagamela?

Return to “Field of Glory II”