Cohesion test for missiles

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Cohesion test for missiles

Post by nyczar »

Is the cohesion test at 10% missile losses based on the size of the unit before combat, or the size of the unit when fired upon? I have check the manual and the forum (as best I could) and i am hoping it is not to hard to get a clarification.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Cohesion test for missiles

Post by rbodleyscott »

nyczar wrote:Is the cohesion test at 10% missile losses based on the size of the unit before combat, or the size of the unit when fired upon? I have check the manual and the forum (as best I could) and i am hoping it is not to hard to get a clarification.
The size of the unit at the start of the battle.

It is 16% not 10%.

Note that a test may be triggered at slightly lower or higher displayed losses than this. This is because the system keeps track of "partial casualties" that will be rounded down (think lesser wounds), principally so that elephants can be forced to take a cohesion test if shot at by multiple units, even if no elephants are actually killed. (So the actual threshold is 17.6% before rounding down "partial casualties.")

Also note that only the first 3 ranks of models in the original formation of a deep unit count for this, so a pike phalanx will actually test on (approximately) 12% casualties.
Richard Bodley Scott

nyczar

Post by nyczar »

Ok Thanks. That address the essence of my question but raises another. In the manual, it says

15.2. Cohesion Tests
Troops take a Cohesion Test if they suffer significant total shooting casualties
(> 10%) in a turn, lose a round of close combat (inflict significantly less total
close combat damage in the turn than they suffer), see a friendly unit break
or a general in line-of-command incapacitated nearby, or attempt to Fall Back
when in the charge range of enemy non-light troops.

then the following table says it is -1 at >16% . I had assumed that one test was triggered at 10% and another if cumulative casualties roes over 16%, but at -1. This is incorrect? typo in the manual? Thanks in advance for the help!/

Mark.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

nyczar wrote:Ok Thanks. That address the essence of my question but raises another. In the manual, it says

15.2. Cohesion Tests
Troops take a Cohesion Test if they suffer significant total shooting casualties
(> 10%) in a turn, lose a round of close combat (inflict significantly less total
close combat damage in the turn than they suffer), see a friendly unit break
or a general in line-of-command incapacitated nearby, or attempt to Fall Back
when in the charge range of enemy non-light troops.

then the following table says it is -1 at >16% . I had assumed that one test was triggered at 10% and another if cumulative casualties roes over 16%, but at -1. This is incorrect? typo in the manual? Thanks in advance for the help!/

Mark.
You are right, my mistake. The manual is correct.

It is 10% to take a test and 16% for the extra -1 modifier.

The adjustments alluded to above apply to both figures.
Richard Bodley Scott

wzfcns
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by wzfcns »

So is that effecient ,use missile against elephant?
Working on the Silk Road mod for FOG2 and FOG2:Medieval.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

wzfcns wrote:So is that effecient ,use missile against elephant?
Certainly, as long as you shoot at them with several units in a turn. As historically, it is by far the best way of dealing with elephants if the enemy does not keep your skirmishers away with other troops.
Richard Bodley Scott

Jishmael
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Jishmael »

nyczar wrote: then the following table says it is -1 at >16% . I had assumed that one test was triggered at 10% and another if cumulative casualties roes over 16%, but at -1. This is incorrect? typo in the manual? Thanks in advance for the help!/

Mark.
Its not a second Test, its the same test result but modified by -1 (if im not mistaken)
Hello there, I hope you like Warbands
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jishmael wrote:
nyczar wrote: then the following table says it is -1 at >16% . I had assumed that one test was triggered at 10% and another if cumulative casualties roes over 16%, but at -1. This is incorrect? typo in the manual? Thanks in advance for the help!/

Mark.
Its not a second Test, its the same test result but modified by -1 (if im not mistaken)
That's sort of right.

In fact the unit will test each time it is shot at after the 10% threshold is reached for the turn, but if it has already failed a shooting cohesion test during the turn it can't drop cohesion further from shooting in the same turn. Also the test uses the same random score for all shooting cohesion tests by a particular unit during a turn, so if it passed a previous test from shooting this turn, it can only drop cohesion from another test if additional modifiers bring it below the pass threshold.

So a unit that passed its test at 10% could fail a subsequent test if the extra shooting brings its shooting losses this turn to 16%, and the extra -1 is sufficient to reduce its previous score below the pass threshold.

This is a way of simulating the tabletop system in which all shooting is done before any cohesion test is taken, and then a single test is taken. The above has the same overall effect.
Richard Bodley Scott

Jishmael
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Jishmael »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Jishmael wrote:

Mark.
That's sort of right.

In fact the unit will test each time it is shot at after the 10% threshold is reached for the turn, but if it has already failed a shooting cohesion test during the turn it can't drop cohesion further from shooting in the same turn. Also the test uses the same random score for all shooting cohesion tests by a particular unit during a turn, so if it passed a previous test from shooting this turn, it can only drop cohesion from another test if additional modifiers bring it below the pass threshold.

So a unit that passed its test at 10% could fail a subsequent test if the extra shooting brings its shooting losses this turn to 16%, and the extra -1 is sufficient to reduce its previous score below the pass threshold.

This is a way of simulating the tabletop system in which all shooting is done before any cohesion test is taken, and then a single test is taken. The above has the same overall effect.

yeah thats what i meant to say/is my understanding
SO just as in P&S its often benificial to shift fire from a unit that already tested and held steady, depending on the circumstances/addable modifiers ofc
Hello there, I hope you like Warbands
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Does using a combination of ranged types affect the test? One of the tips when loading the game says including artillery fire along with lighter ranged fire on a target improves morale damage.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

GiveWarAchance wrote:Does using a combination of ranged types affect the test? One of the tips when loading the game says including artillery fire along with lighter ranged fire on a target improves morale damage.
Artillery fire gives an extra -1 on the cohesion test, but is often not enough on its own to trigger a test. So shooting with other troops as well increases the chance of a test, which will then be taken with a -1 modifer for being shot at by artillery.

Note that it doesn't matter which order the shooting is done in: Once the artillery have shot, subsequent tests for being shot at this turn will get the -1 even if they are taken after being shot at by another unit type.
Richard Bodley Scott

GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Thanks for the info. I'm also wondering why artillery so often gets a 0 result even with a big range like 0 to 70 in expected damage. I guess it's cause the coordinates can be totally off sometimes when the crew are setting the range.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

GiveWarAchance wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm also wondering why artillery so often gets a 0 result even with a big range like 0 to 70 in expected damage. I guess it's cause the coordinates can be totally off sometimes when the crew are setting the range.
Yes, the RNG for artillery is skewed towards the lower end of the range.
Richard Bodley Scott

GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

thank you

Return to “Field of Glory II”