Bru's Scenarios

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Bru's Scenarios

Post by bru888 »

Battle of the River Plate new version 1.2 uploaded:

- Fixed trigger event error for cargo ship MV Ashlea destruction not activating when intended.
- Bru
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

bru888 wrote:Regarding this: "SS Huntsman, SS Clement and SS Tairoa -> no recon "spotted" message" I was not able to find an error. All three responded with the generic popup message when detected by the float plane
I just glanced at the triggers and they appear okay, but you can check for yourself, I'll attach the replay of run #3 (level 3 diff.)
- SS Huntsman -> turn 16
- SS Clement -> turn 19
- SS Tairoa (turn 22), you're probably right, was a mistake on my side, the ship wasn't actually spotted by the plane (radar only)

EDIT: The only theory I have right now about what could be causing this, is that the recon-popup error always happened at the second part of a flex-path movement of the plane. Maybe this isn't recognised as "Move Event" anymore. Going to test this theory with "Any Event" tomorrow. I kind of enjoy this little scenario. It's really fun, in parts certainly due to the short playing time. I hope you don't mind my meddling within your scenario with the editor...(?)
Attachments
ReplayRiverPlate(lvl3)_GK.rar
(12.01 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

GabeKnight wrote:I hope you don't mind my meddling within your scenario with the editor...(?)
Certainly not. Just know that patent is pending . . . :wink:

But yeah, you've already helped me by looking at the triggers in the scenario which is what I do to help OOB developers so please go for it. I bet you are right about that second leg of the recon but even so, that particular popup is not that important in the scheme of things so I don't think I will be changing anything as a result.
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

bru888 wrote: I bet you are right about that second leg of the recon
No, I'm not. :lol: It still happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. But I liked the theory. It'll always trigger on a second fly-by, though, so I guess some spotter's eyes just aren't the best these days... :) Nonetheless, the message will NEVER pop up, if you fly the recon plane directly above a transport ship. Seems to be a bug in the game.
GabeKnight wrote:- the gunboat crews supposedly "protecting" Montevideo's port are leaving their post and should be disciplined for insubordiation
And scratch that, they're doing their jobs, I was just lucky with the turns.
GabeKnight wrote:- noticed a strange behaviour of the cruisers, one time chasing me all over the map the other time staying near Montevideo port.
And I can explain this now (I must have run into this by chance on run #1), it's an exploit of the set-AI-team "idle/activate Task Force G" trigger not being linked to the Graf Spee directly, but to any german ship, e.g. the support ship :) :wink:
I guess, I'd report this in an official scenario to have it changed, but seems minor here. And oh man, you REALLY love your triggers...I'm impressed.
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thanks a lot for continuing to work on 'River Plate', it's looking great! :D
Richard
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Cataphract88 wrote:Thanks a lot for continuing to work on 'River Plate', it's looking great! :D
Thanks, Richard. Hopefully it's looking even better now because I am moving Battle of the River Plate up to version 2.0 due to all the changes that I made tonight:

- Enabled delayed Kampfschwimmer launching from one turn to the next.
- Fixed trigger error that did not idle Uruguayan gunboats as intended.
- Set up Montivideo Hospitality to be recurring each time Graf Spee visits.
- Arrange to delay Task Force G until first cargo ship is destroyed and provide warning.
- Another warning includes strong advice to proceed with Mission to Montevideo.
- There is now a fourth British cruiser depending on how the mission is going.
- Added five more turns for a total of 40.
- Removed anachronistic historical events (wrong calendar month). :oops:

That last one I am kicking myself over. What a dumb error; I was looking at September 1939 instead of December 1939. Here's what I took out, in case you are interested:
Removed Historical Events.zip
(725.99 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
I'll find a couple of other historical goodies, hopefully. This scenario is not done yet but it's getting close.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Battle of the River Plate new version 2.1 uploaded:

- Included two new chronologically accurate historical events.
- Uruguayan gunboats are not just idled but removed when superfluous.
- Finally perfected all aspects of the visit Montevideo by stealth mode; a tough one.
- Task Force G will now withdraw from the harbor, not just idle, during Montevideo hospitality.
- Moved turns up to 49 which I think is optimal and it ends on a fateful date in real life, a sad end for a decent man.

This one is done. Know how I could tell? Because the last time I played it, I had fun. Also, I know that if a player pays attention to instructions and hints and does the right things, he will win. If he does not, then he will lose. That's a good definition of balance.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

GabeKnight wrote:Seeing all the pics in the scenario folder, I kind of regretted not being able to see all possible outcomes and branches (like when this is supposed to happen: photo_oberleutnant_overboard :D )
I think I addressed everything that you talked about except this (and the thing with support ship/minelayer - if that is happening, it's the game, not the scenario). That "photo_oberleutnant_overboard" picture is used if the Kampfschwimmer is intercepted by a Uruguayan gunboat. At first, I had scripted the Oberleutnant to have been killed by gunfire, taking the bribe money with him, but then I ran across this great photo. It was ideal for the situation and less morbid! :)
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (133.5 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Thanks Bruce, but after going through the scenario with the editor, I've figured that out... :wink:
Great pic, though. And as said, great overall storytelling. I like this scenario quite much, and I'll give it another go on the weekend (and maybe even try out some objective fails), as I'm always glad for naval scenarios!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Gabe, you no longer have any time left for Bru's naval lonely hearts scenarios :D

Sorry, Bru. Just kidding.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Coming soon: Profile in Courage.

The effectiveness of PT boats in the Solomon Islands campaign was substantially undermined by defective Mark 8 torpedoes. Nevertheless, PT boats did achieve some success against Japanese shipborne resupply efforts, dubbed "The Tokyo Express," operating in New Georgia Sound ("the Slot"). Relying on speed and stealth to offset their frailty and lack of firepower, PT boats contributed in many other ways to the success of the campaign. The bravery of their crews is a story that needs to be told and remembered for, truly, "They were expendable."
preview.png
preview.png (329.22 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
- Bru
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

bru888 wrote:Coming soon: Profile in Courage.

The effectiveness of PT boats in the Solomon Islands campaign was substantially undermined by defective Mark 8 torpedoes. Nevertheless, PT boats did achieve some success against Japanese shipborne resupply efforts, dubbed "The Tokyo Express," operating in New Georgia Sound ("the Slot"). Relying on speed and stealth to offset their frailty and lack of firepower, PT boats contributed in many other ways to the success of the campaign. The bravery of their crews is a story that needs to be told and remembered for, truly, "They were expendable."
preview.png
Mate, any special software needs (DLC's, that is) to play this scenario? Sounds VERY good! :D

BTW, any other alternate history scenarios in mind? I mean, just as I told ye in another thread, Anchorage is waaaaayyy good, and the defense of Hawaii I'm sure follows the same path.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Interesting that you are starting a PT scenario.
I've have started a whole campaign with small/medium naval scenarios in the Solomons (and beyond). Several of them have PT boats in important roles. One PT boat is being commandered by a certain John F :D
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Erik2 wrote:I've have started a whole campaign with small/medium naval scenarios in the Solomons (and beyond). Several of them have PT boats in important roles. One PT boat is being commandered by a certain John F :D
How far is it from being ready? I mean, it also sounds VERY interesting... :mrgreen:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik2 wrote:I've have started a whole campaign with small/medium naval scenarios in the Solomons (and beyond). Several of them have PT boats in important roles. One PT boat is being commandered by a certain John F :D
PT-109 is already sunk when this scenario begins but JFK and his crew do figure prominently in it.
ALP071 wrote:How far is it from being ready? I mean, it also sounds VERY interesting... :mrgreen:
I'd say this weekend or at the most, next. By the way, to answer your question above, so far everything that I have done has a bit of alternative history in it. Oahu and the Aleutians is obvious; none of that actually happened. Voyage and the River Plate are also semi-fictional in that I tried to make them so that the human/German player could actually win when in fact neither the Bismarck nor the Graf Spee really had a chance.

At all times, though, I try to be as accurate as possible as to units, names, events leading up to the current scenario. For example, in PiC, I made sure not to include a few PT boats from MTB Squadrons 2 and 5 that had been sunk by the Japanese prior to August 1943. Even the boat nicknames are real.
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Nice Bruce, really looking forward to it!
(Although Erik wasn't joking, BTW :wink: )
bru888

Post by bru888 »

GabeKnight wrote:Nice Bruce, really looking forward to it!
PiC is finished. I just need to do a dry run so I can tweak the balance. This one is a monkey rodeo! But not everybody's cup of tea, I'm sure. My genre is quite niche. :wink:
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Profile in Courage is released.
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Bruce, you've got no idea how you may have just saved my day. THANK YOU. :D
Downloading now...

EDIT: Done. Even if your historic events of Operation Toenails may appear "quite niche" (quote), your scenario sure IS NOT :!: . You delivered, thank you again. :D
(Didn't want to spoil the storyline)
(Didn't want to spoil the storyline)
Screenshot 113.jpg (409.56 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Not too easy, I hope? Too many resource points (on medium difficulty)? The original idea was to go with NO RP's and just have PT boat attrition but no way they can take on The Boss at the end in that situation. So they must have some resources but is 250 too much? (Obviously it's not too little, since I see you were able to ace the scenario. It's a relief to see that everything worked!)

I was surprised, by the way, with how handy the support ships were when I played this through myself. I did not even intend it that way, but what I discovered made for interesting trade-off choices and a bit of a twist. Nice to see support ships doing something more than just fixing other ships and placing/removing mines, if given a chance (like facing nothing stronger than gunboats).

Thanks for your comments, Gabe.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”