Duplex's Scenarios and Campaigns

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Duplex
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Duplex's Scenarios

Post by Duplex »

Thank you so much for trying out my new scenario. I love all the suggestions (and the compliments, I feel so warm inside). A lot of the things I put in the scenario however were not for gameplay but for more historical accuracy. The constant attacks from Japanese planes were a real problem the Chinese faced and I didn't want to "even it out" by giving the Chinese many anti-air things, because they simply did not have them during the Second World War.
Also, you noted that you were able to beat the Japanese really easily at the end and the last reinforcements should be scratched. But...heh...I'm really bad at the game I guess cause when I played I could not beat my own map in the 60 turns allotted. So...yeah. I was afraid that y'all wouldn't be able to finish it either but apparently I'm just really bad.
I didn't expand the railroad further west after ShanHaiGuan because, again my "historical accuracy". China had next to no rail lines so I didn't put any going west.
I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration though. Thanks again for playing the scenario. I was really nervous about it (being my first singleplayer scenario) and I didn't expect to receive so much positive feedback. :D
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Update for BeiPing 1940 incoming...
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

It really was a good scenario. Played well.
Don't worry about the balance, it should be okay for average players (compared to official content) and if someone wants it easier or harder, they can change the difficulty setting! Too easy gameplay without any challenge isn't fun either. If there aren't gonna be any complains about this from other players, it means it's all good. :wink:

I'm looking forward to your next singleplayer scenario! :D
(Sorry, but I don't play multiplayer games)

And again it is me who has to thank you for a good time.
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Update 1.2.0:
-Japanese air units and naval units will no longer target artillery and anti-tank guns so as to give them a "concealed" effect
-one more Japanese unit added for balance
-two units moved so they won't get stuck
-a Pak 36 receives a horse transport
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Roger this, mate. Where's the download link? :D
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

On the first post in this thread. It's the same link but I updated it.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

Duplex, I played Beiping tonight. Very good. It kept my interest throughout.

In the beginning, I used a classic withdraw / draw them in / defense in depth to defeat your Japanese attack, including the tanks! River defense is key. I plastered them.
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (502.24 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Then I pushed through Beiping after defeating the flank attack on the left.
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (518.18 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
I don't know what the gunboat is for, though. I had it chewing up a neutral merchant ship and barge at one point. Of course, it was nothing better than a decoy once it ran into the cruiser and destroyer. After that, "Uh, Chinese militia and you other guys, stay away from the coastal road, will you?" :)

Nice-looking and interesting map. I like the mountains and walls guiding and restricting traffic and the jungle "traps." Everything funneled toward ShanHaiGuan and the Japanese warships.

Just keep pushing forward though, despite the air and sea bombardment. I took ShanHaiGuan on turn 23 and thought this was a walkover. Until the Japanese counterattack.

Still, the Chinese have numbers in this scenario, both in terms of units and resources. I kept swarming and surrounding the Japanese, like here:
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (465.78 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Here goes the Japanese "boss" tank. I did not attack it directly until it was surrounded for a turn or two, cut off, and weakened:
Screenshot 8.jpg
Screenshot 8.jpg (456.83 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Then a pivot inland toward remaining VP's, and victory!
Screenshot 10.jpg
Screenshot 10.jpg (426.83 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
As I said, fun, engrossing, and entertaining. I was going to advise you to cut down on the Chinese a bit, but not, I think. Maybe that last bunch of warlord troops is just a bit superfluous.

Here are some suggestions and one flaw:

Suggestions:

Provide photos for your messages. They are much better than blank black windows. PNG format and 512 x 415 pixel size. Make sure the name in the event popup "Image Filename" box matches the photo file name exactly. Do the same for the outcome photos. See my manual for instructions on this.

Label more map features; for example, what is the name of the river that I used to such great defensive effect? What is the name of the mountains over which I finally realized I must push my Chinese troops to outflank the Japanese in and around ShanHaiGuan and to get away from their warships? Details like that make a scenario even more interesting and memorable.

Maybe provide transports for the 37mm Pak 36 and the 75mm Bofors M1929? Although the train tracks helped. Still, they are too slow to do much in the field. Also, maybe provide another fighter or two? Thanks for the ONE tiny Chinese fighter that finally provide some punch back at the Jap bombers . . . until being quickly shot down, that is. [By the way, as always, when I or anybody else make suggestions, feel free to take advice or not according to your own preferences. Nobody is going to check up and be disappointed if you don't do what is suggested, I don't think.]

Here is the flaw that I found. I was going to win your scenario anyway but it ended prematurely, right after I took XiaoFeiYang. I never got to LaoHu, the final primary victory VP. That's because the number here should be 5 primary VP's, not 4:
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (79.13 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Here's why. Count the number of primary VP's on your map: WuGui, Beiping, ShanHaiGuan, XiaoFeiYang, and LaoHu. 5 in total. The Chinese start out holding WuGui (and must keep holding it) and you want them to conquer the other four but in the end, they must be holding 5 victory points. I won with only 4, meeting your trigger requirement, which is why the scenario ended early.

All in all, a very good effort. Thanks for sharing this. My replay is attached, in case you are interested in seeing how I played.
ReplayBeiping.zip
(15.56 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

bru888 wrote:Here's why. Count the number of primary VP's on your map: WuGui, Beiping, ShanHaiGuan, XiaoFeiYang, and LaoHu. 5 in total. The Chinese start out holding WuGui (and must keep holding it) and you want them to conquer the other four but in the end, they must be holding 5 victory points. I won with only 4, meeting your trigger requirement, which is why the scenario ended early.
That's kinda my fault, BTW, I've suggested to add "WuGui" as VP and Duplex just forgot to adjust the according objective trigger. Version v.1.2.1 is coming, I guess... :wink:

EDIT: And I've used that gunboat to naval transport some of my troops to flank the enemy...until exactly *that* unit deserted. Traitors! :)
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

I also tried Beiping once but horribly lost in the northern region later due lack of units. The ships and aircraft chewed them all if I left the protecting city and forest tiles. I still had enough RPs left, but no more units. It's a pity you can't purchase any units. I should also have used the river as defense at beginning. My modded Chinese infantry units are also weaker than other inf units in early years due historical lack of equipment.
All towed units definitely need a horse transport, especially the important AA gun. Oh, and a second fighter couldn't really hurt.
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Thanks for playing my scenario guys. And thanks for all the help bru. Update incoming...
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Update 1.3.0 for BeiPing 1940:
-Some minor bugs fixed
-two more Japanese units added
-increased Japanese income

Also, bru, how do you name rivers or mountain ranges?
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Duplex wrote:Also, bru, how do you name rivers or mountain ranges?
It would be nice if all we had to do was slap a label on the map but in OOB, you need to plant a plain flag (not a primary or secondary VP unless you want to for other reasons). That will make the name show up on the map; it does not unless there is a flag on the hex.

Here's what it looks like in the editor, flags planted and names applied:
Capture606.jpg
Capture606.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 3379 times
And here's how it looks in the game, with the island itself named, its mountain, and a nearby gulf. Just nice touches if you want to do the work but don't put too many names on the map or it's going to look cluttered:
Capture607.jpg
Capture607.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3379 times
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Note that towns with flags will be available for deploying core units during the game.
That may not be somthing want for frontline towns.

Location labels without flags will still display the name in the small terrain window when the terrain hex is selected during the game.
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

I just finished creating the terrain for The Great Manchurian Offensive. I must say, I'm pleased with myself.

Also, if anyone wants to play Shanghai 1939, I'm open. :)
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Update 1.0.2 for Shanghai 1939:
-very minor tweaks
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Duplex wrote:I just finished creating the terrain for The Great Manchurian Offensive.
Well, seems you won't be getting much sleep for a while; we the League of the Sino-Japanese War Fans demand immediate results! :mrgreen:

Keep those scenarios coming, mate. Thanks a lot!
steevodeevo
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by steevodeevo »

Duplex , I believe Beiping is up too or beyond ver 1.3 but the dl link says 1.o, is this correct version?
thanks, looking forward to playing it.
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Yes that is the right version. I haven't gotten around to updating the page that the link takes you to yet. I'm not allowed to change the post the link takes you too so just ignore the fact that it says latest version "....". The link will always be up to date.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Phew! I just finished all the triggers and unit placement in the Great Manchurian Offensive. Now time for testing...
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Mate, I'm all mixed up with this version thing. Can you please update me, so I can have the latest of all your creations?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”