USA East Coast - Help needed

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

USA East Coast - Help needed

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Ok, this is my first base campaign playthrough on Colonel and so far I had some difficulties with some of the scenarios. but after a few tries and modified strategies I always managed to get a decisive victory (only on Moscow I botched it on purpose by waiting one more turn because I wanted more experience for my troops in the other scenarios before going to the US)

However East Coast totally eludes me. I haven't even won this scenario after over 10 tries let alone get a decisive one. In 11 turns I don't even manage to reach all the final cities, let alone take them. And so far I have never managed to take fort knox. I usually manage to get all the other cities by the 18th turn, but that one... no chance.

I have tried modifying my core, different strategies, even bying two railroad guns from the prestige I get within the scenario.. So far I'm totally lost at how I'm supposed to do this. I always land in New Jersey since further south the US fleet reaches me before I can land my forces.

My core currently consists (with modifications) of 6 tanks (5 Panther G, 1 Tiger +1 movement), 6-8 infantry (2 pioneers, 2 inf, 2 gren, 2 special), 6-8 artillery (Hummel, wespe, towed, Wurfrahmen), 6 fighters (Me262) and 2-4 tactical bombers (usually Pfeil) and 2 strategical bombers He 177A) as well as 2 recon.

I'd really like to get some pointers here because right now I don't believe my tactical skills are the problem but that I don't have a working strategical plan. I usually don't take any massive losses or lose any ground or air units. I also have no problems in taking the cities (except fort knox) just not within 11 turns. And fort knox.. there those huge ass tanks are the biggest problem. They can defeat even my best tanks, even if they have artillery support and my tanks hardly damage them and my bombers hardly scratch them.

So I'd be happy for any suggestions here. This is the first scenario that I seem unable to beat. With several more tries I think I can get a MV maybe. Although for that I'd still have to make every move perfect. but DV? No idea how to pull that off.Especially since I cannot even go airborne or anything like that.

In case you wonder.. naval warfare is usually not a problem. neither is the US Air Force. I usually clean up the air force in 2 turns after which my 2 heinkel bombers takes the enemy battleships apart. I usually end up with nearly all of my larger capital ships completely intact.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: USA East Coast - Help needed

Post by bebro »

Hm, I was going to write how to avoid to lose stuff to the USAF and USN, but your last paragraph changed my mind. I thought getting your unit to land without major losses is the hardest part, so I'm not sure what advice to offer besides general remarks - use arty as backup, have air support.

Maybe have more than 6 tanks, but if you have to buy new they'll be inexperienced and thus much more vulnerable that late than vets.

Hopefully someone else can be more helpful...
MartyWard
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by MartyWard »

Don't deploy everything at the start. You can wait a few turns to clear out the air force and begin working on the navy. Then you can sail a small battle roup south to take the VP hexs there.
Use your initial landing force to go for Ft. Knox. You will need armour to get through. 6 tanks isn't enough IMO. Personally I'd wouldn't deploy the Recon, I'd get more tanks. You can recon with your air units after you take care of the allied air force. You might even consider not deploying all the artillery and getting even more tanks. I like to have 10 tanks at a minimum, 4 go to Ft. Knox, 4 go South Southwest, and 2 sail south. 1 or 2 artillery and infantry with each group is usually enough.
Once you take out the Navy use your strat bomber to get rid of the ammo of the units at Ft. Knox. That will help you a lot as you won't take any losses at all.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Finally managed Minor Victory in 15 turns. Still far away from decisive though. Any further tips?
brettz123
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by brettz123 »

You need more tanks. I would only use 6 infantry. Everything else looks pretty good. Usually what I do in this scenario is deploy everything but wait a turn before moving my transports. Taking out his navy is really important. You should have 4 strategic bombers and lose some of your tactical bombers at this point.
BlitzkriegBrett
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by BlitzkriegBrett »

This is sure turning out to be a tough scenario, I am curious if most people use Tiger II or Panther G tanks or something else ?
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

TigerIIs are way too slow and not really needed
Jelinobas
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Jelinobas »

Turn 1-3: I used only Luftwaffe against Radars, fighters and incomming Naval's. Keep Kriegsmarine out of sight from USA's Radar and other Units and Towns. Before End Turn 3 i place my Landing Cores on the Map. Turn 4-5 Army liberate NewYork and Washington! Rest is do with DV or MV, i think DV is not needet. MV brings more Prestige over Time and more Exp for my Units.
BlitzkriegBrett

Thanks for the help guys I will try adjusting my strategy based off your posts & see how I go - thanks again.
BlitzkriegBrett

Finally got through it - thanks again for the info guys much appreciated.
DandyDust

Post by DandyDust »

Which campaign do I have to choose in order to get to the USA level maps?
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Default Wehrmacht Campaign
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw
JagdpanzerIV
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

the tiger 2 was as fast as Panzer IVs, i don't know why they made it move only 4 hexes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_II
"Not withstanding its initial reliability problems, the Tiger II was remarkably agile for such a heavy vehicle. Contemporary German records and testing results indicate that its tactical mobility was as good as or better than most German or Allied tanks"
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

You also need to keep game balancing in mind. If the TIger II is as fast as a Panzer IV, there's next to no reason not to go full Tiger II core instead of having some Panthers which were the real main battle tank of the German army at the time.
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

It might be nimble but it's still very heavy and wide which limits cross-country mobility, especially over bridges.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

KeldorKatarn wrote:You also need to keep game balancing in mind. If the TIger II is as fast as a Panzer IV, there's next to no reason not to go full Tiger II core instead of having some Panthers which were the real main battle tank of the German army at the time.
its all about available prestige. Do you see a bad side to having 5 Me262 over 5 me109k ? we just have to buy them if we can. When higher difficulty levels are unlocked, buying 5-6 tiger 2 is next to impossible.

Also, for example, the Joseph Stalin (1&2) tanks move 5 hexes and they weren't faster.

Return to “Panzer Corps”