The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: One week in

Post by Barrold713 »

devoncop wrote:+1 to these comments.

My Saka are the whipping boys of Div B Late Antiquity so its a fight against relegation already :-)

Hopefully my Seleucids should keep me up in Div B Classical Antiquity.

Some really close nail biting games with great opponents.
A confidence boosting match against my Krappodokians is probably the tonic. Getting beat like a rented mule.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: One week in

Post by stockwellpete »

I will move this thread into "The Rally point" on Thursday as a similar discussion has started there as well. :wink:
ulysisgrunt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: The Rally Point

Post by ulysisgrunt »

This is certainly educational; you really learn how to maximize your army's strengths...and learn its fatal flaws as well.
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

My Persians are doing well, my Germans not so much.

Things I have learnt - Ulysisgrunt's Kushans are a thing of absolute horror.
cromlechi

Post by cromlechi »

I almost immediately regretted picking Germanic Hill Tribes, the options are very limited, close order, loose order and a few skirmishers. I've learned you can make three warbands and it's best to look for hills and woods (clue in their name I guess!).
Spectre195
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Spectre195 »

SpeedyCM wrote:My Persians are doing well, my Germans not so much.

Things I have learnt - Ulysisgrunt's Kushans are a thing of absolute horror.
Yeah they really are. You are probably going to beat me in our game; but I atleast have a chance.....Ulysigrunt gave me the soundest beating I have had in a while haha. Nothing I could do.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Spectre195 wrote:How is the start of the league going for everyone?!?!
Well, as the organiser, I think things are going really well. It looks like 3 of the original 81 who signed up for the tournament will not be starting. That's about the norm for the FOGDL. I wondered if it would be a bit higher given that it is the first season for around 50 of the 80 players. One reserve has already taken up a place and two more reserves will be joining tomorrow. It also looks like the Themed Event has got off to a perfect start with 12 matches already completed and the other 4 well on the way to completion. All the tables and charts are up and running for the main league sections and the Themed Event tables should appear over the weekend or very early next week.

My next job is to make sure everyone is playing their matches as the competition moves towards the half-way time control point on March 8th. To use Classical Antiquity as an example, I know already that 40 out of the 50 players involved are actively organising and playing their matches. I can tell this from the challenge and results threads as well as the multi-player lobby in the game itself. Of the other 10 players, I know that 2 are probably going to be non-starters (these will be replaced by reserves tomorrow), and 4 are playing matches in other sections of the tournament, so that leaves just 4 players who may not have started at all (although it is possible that they have arranged their matches by PM and not used the open forum). There is no rush for me to do anything at the moment, but at about the 3 week mark (February 22/23) I will start sending out "polite reminders" asking them to start if they haven't already done so, and reminding them about the time control on March 8th. Often I will find that players are underway, but occasionally there will be a problem at this late stage of contacting a player. That is when I will go to the reserve list again and put a player on stand-by.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

That is great Pete and somewhat of a relief for you I suspect :-)

No matter the experience and planning ahead of time its no doubt a bit like holding a party and wondering if anyone will turn up !

In the case of my Skythians in Late Antiquity, though they have turned up to the party they have been the subject of such repeated hammerings that I am sure the neighbours would be complaining about the effect on their property values.. :-)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

devoncop wrote:That is great Pete and somewhat of a relief for you I suspect :-)
Yes, it is a bit nerve-wracking in the first few days. I just have to hope that I haven't made any major mistakes. It's been very good this time though. :wink:
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here

Post by eddieballgame »

For all you 'wizards' out there, how does one fight this battle. ? :)
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (778.39 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Well, if I was the Spartans, I would move off diagonally to the right and turn my army round to line up parallel to the river. I would need to be far enough way from the river so that the Indo-Greek archers would have to cross the river if they wanted to shoot at me. My guess is that the Indo-Greek commander would stay on their side of the river so the match would be drawn. For the Spartans to attempt a river crossing using the track would be extremely hazardous as the Indo-Greek archers would have lots of shooting opportunities as the Spartans tried to deploy in a battle line.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

That is exactly what I did, initially, get the hell away from those archers. :) Damn...what a waste of hoplites.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

We agreed to restart this game.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

eddieballgame wrote:We agreed to restart this game.
OK, that's fair enough. :wink:
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

So now we know that Legions Triumphant will be the next DLC. What this will mean for Season 2 of the FOG2DL, starting on June 1st, is that there will be a much wider choice of armies available in the Late Antiquity section. It will still mean that we will need two "improvised" sections to go with Classical Antiquity, Late Antiquity and the Themed Event. I think that From Cyrus to Tigranes can probably continue for another season in modified form. Maybe it can be called from Cyrus to Attila, or something similar, and I can come up with some different match-ups? At least that way, promotion and relegation for that section between Seasons 1 and 2 will still be viable. I did have a spare section for this season that was not used in the end, called Enemies of Rome, and that could replace Classical Indian in Season 2. I will be able to use the later Roman armies and their opponents to make that a very interesting section.

Eventually, when we have more DLC's, the FOG2DL will add sections for Biblical, Early Middle Ages and High Middle Ages in place of the "improvised" sections.
Spectre195

Post by Spectre195 »

stockwellpete wrote:So now we know that Legions Triumphant will be the next DLC. What this will mean for Season 2 of the FOG2DL, starting on June 1st, is that there will be a much wider choice of armies available in the Late Antiquity section. It will still mean that we will need two "improvised" sections to go with Classical Antiquity, Late Antiquity and the Themed Event. I think that From Cyrus to Tigranes can probably continue for another season in modified form. Maybe it can be called from Cyrus to Attila, or something similar, and I can come up with some different match-ups? At least that way, promotion and relegation for that section between Seasons 1 and 2 will still be viable. I did have a spare section for this season that was not used in the end, called Enemies of Rome, and that could replace Classical Indian in Season 2. I will be able to use the later Roman armies and their opponents to make that a very interesting section.

Eventually, when we have more DLC's, the FOG2DL will add sections for Biblical, Early Middle Ages and High Middle Ages in place of the "improvised" sections.

Why not just keep it separated by by the 3 time frames of the base game and expansions for now? Bleed a couple lists from the base game up and down to fill out the choices. That way you only need one improvised section.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Spectre195 wrote:Why not just keep it separated by by the 3 time frames of the base game and expansions for now? Bleed a couple lists from the base game up and down to fill out the choices. That way you only need one improvised section.
Basically because the FOG Digital League (and the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" before it) has always been organised in the way that I am doing it now. There are other ways of doing it, of course, but I think it works very well as it is. The improvised sections are not a problem and they do allow a certain amount of experimentation. Each season I like to offer one section that is a bit different from the rest. It will be interesting to see how quickly the league grows this year. We have started off with around 80 players, which is about the same size as the FOG1DL was at its largest, and this is after a 3 year break since the last time the tournament was played. Hopefully, when the word gets around about the FOG2DL we will have many more players joining and then we can go up to six sections.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I am receiving a number of PM's from players about slow play and challenges not being picked up quickly enough. In a tournament of this size there is obviously going to be quite a wide difference in the playing speeds of the quickest and slowest players and so, as the organiser, I need to be careful not to pressurise players who are playing at a steady enough pace to complete all their matches by the closing date of April 15. Right now we are in just the third week of the tournament and there is still over 2 weeks to go until the half-way time control on March 8th. This is when changes will be made in relation to slow play.

Overall, the tournament is proceeding at a terrific pace and nearly all the divisions have a match completion rate that indicates all the matches will be finished in time. However, there are issues with a few players that suggest that they might not complete the required three matches in each division by March 8th. I am in PM contact with these players and I am monitoring the situation closely. So I would just ask the players involved in these slower matches to be patient for the time being and use the competition rules where they are applicable. So, if you are in a match where your opponent does not make a move for 7 days without explanation, then please contact me and I will see what I can do. And if the delay extends to 14 days without explanation then you are entitled to claim the match (although I don't think we have got a match at that stage yet). I am also working my way down the multi-player lobby inside the game itself and I will be sending out reminders tomorrow for challenges posted on 8/2 and 9/2 that are still in there.

I am looking at ways to tighten up the rules a bit on slow play for Season 2, although I don't think that we have a very big problem in the tournament at the moment. One option would be to allow players to claim matches after 7 days, instead of the current 14. The game actually allows players to do this so I think it makes sense to bring our rules into line with what is available. I am also looking at the time control itself. I think requiring 3 matches to be completed by the half-way stage in each division a player has entered is reasonable enough, but maybe we need to add another condition that requires players to complete their first match in each division by the 3-week stage. This might help to address the "slow starters" issue.

Any feedback is welcome.
mhladnik
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by mhladnik »

Since I don't like big publicity, I'm not followin suit and I decided to post this here:

To all my opponents - I am travelling this week and will be playing my turns at a much reduced frequency. My overall completion is at a good level, I believe, so it shouldn't be a problem. Still, naturally, apologies to everyone/anyone affected.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I posted these in the Rules of Competition thread as well. They are the rule changes and re-wordings that are likely to take effect in Season 2 and they are shown in bold text.

2. Joining the league and selecting your armies

Players are usually required to select three different army lists for each of the core sections that they wish to enter and to post them in the relevant “recruitment” threads. Players will then usually be allocated one army for each section they have entered and they will use this army for all 9 matches.

Explanation - this is just a re-wording as several players have asked me if they can change their army half-way through the season. The answer is always "no", I'm afraid. :wink:

3. Participation in the league

Players will be able to enter any section of the league. It is expected that players will complete all their fixtures.

Players must register one result in each section they have entered within three weeks and three results within each section they have entered within five weeks (i.e. the halfway stage) of the opening of the tournament or they may be replaced by a player from the reserve list.

Explanation - this is an attempt to address the issue of very slow starters in the tournament. We have had a few this time and I don't want to wait 5 weeks before I can do anything about it. Usually, when most players get started they then play at a steady pace, but some players do need a bit of encouragement to get the first matches started in the first place.

6. Player etiquette and withdrawal from the league

Please treat organisers and other players in the way that you would wish to be treated yourself. Please visit the Field of Glory 2 forum regularly. Try to respond to communications as quickly as you can and once you have started a match play at a regular pace so it can be completed within a reasonable timespan. It is expected that all matches will be completed within one month of their starting date. If you are unable to play for a period of time then please let your opponents know in advance, whenever possible.

Please notify the tournament organisers if you are unable to contact an opponent to start a match after 7 days have elapsed.

If your opponent has not moved at all for 7 days without explanation then you are entitled to claim the match automatically by using the in-game facility to do this on the multiplayer system.

If you wish to resign from the league, or if you will not have time to finish all of your matches, please notify the tournament organisers as soon as possible. If you have not completed three matches in a division in a core section your record will be expunged completely. If you have completed three or more matches then the points available from any un-played matches will be awarded to your opponents. In the Themed Event, If you have not completed one match in a qualifying group, you will be replaced by a reserve where possible. If you have completed one or more matches then the points available from any un-played matches will be awarded to your opponents.[/quote]

Explanation - There are three alterations here. The first one is just a re-wording to make it clearer that players can contact me if they are having difficulties getting a match started. With the second alteration, I have reduced the time players have to wait before claiming a match from an unresponsive player from 14 days to 7 days. Obviously if an opponent has told you they are away for a week then you cannot claim the match. The third one just spells out the situation in the Themed Event regarding player resignations after the event has started.

Any comments are welcome and by all means raise any other issues that concern you. I will finalise these changes before recruitment opens for season 2 on Monday 14 May.

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”