Order of Battle - Inaugural MP Tournament Chat Thread

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Order of Battle - Inaugural MP Tournament Chat Thread

Post by Erik2 »

We'll start with 2 weeks of play and hope this is sufficient now that players should be familiar with the rules.
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 »

Was this scenario tested after changes have been made?
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

robertbiagini wrote:I'm good to go Sunday outside of 11am-4pm
cheers
rob

PS - "Hopefully everyone knows how to install a custom scenario to host/join the games (both players need the map to start)."
...actually no, I'm totally new to the PBEM side of OOB and need some help here, thx
As far as I remember (I'm at work atm), you have to put the files in the extracted .zip here /username/documents/my games/order of battle ww2/scenarios. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
uran21 wrote:Was this scenario tested after changes have been made?
I've already played a few turns and it seems to be performing well - triggers seem to work, etc. I cannot comment on balancing but given that we played mirrored games, I guess that doesn't matter.
Last edited by 13obo on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I checked the first few turns. It is only the faction/units (and briefing etc) that was changed.
uran21

Post by uran21 »

Erik2 wrote:
I checked the first few turns. It is only the faction/units (and briefing etc) that was changed.
I played until Umboi Island switched sides and it does not feel right to me. Reason is because Allied anti-aircraft is not removed while Axis Fuel Depot and anti-aircraft are spawned. This prevents Axis from utilizing land supply and renders airfield unusable for repair and also leaves Allied anti-aircraft to harass Axis units unless it is destroyed by air. Looking at the editor I do see change in that particular trigger which is clearly wrong because trigger is trying to remove Fuel Depot and condition to do it is after Fuel Depot is destroyed.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Ok, I noticed that too but ignored it as the objective is completed and the German players gets the +50 RP as described even if the AA gun recaptures the airfield. I think it's just a quirk of the scenario that can be fixed, but it doesn't "break" the scenario and the german player can just use the airfields at the starting island.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Erik, is it possible to give a heads up on what kind of maps we should expect for the other rounds? I think no one was expecting an air-only map. Will there be a sea-only battle too? Air/sea-only battles with carriers?

I guess the spirit of OOB is pacific/island hopping combat, and not just the standard land/air Panzer Corps style battles (though my preference is maps with land/air or land/air/sea battles).
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

R3 is a variation of Peninsula
R4 is a variation of Naval Battle
R5 is a variation of Artic Fox
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Thanks! (I'm assuming you meant R5 on Arctic Fox-a-like)
a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

No "dubno fields" or "the fork" using customizing starting force? In my opinion these two maps are the only maps that represent the best of order of battle game and mechanics. They feature everything I love about the game. They have good amount of money and command slots to support diversity, they require combined arms of air power, infantry, artillery and fast units. Both two bridges and arctic fox have these things but on such a small scale and limited units that it feels like training wheels on an otherwise great game. While things like battle of Britain, and the navy map seem like silly mini games exclusively focusing on one aspect.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

RuiMarques and I have finished round 2- I won as Germany, and RuiMarques forfeited the other game. Thank you for the games, RuiMarques- you were a good opponent, and I really enjoyed the speed at which we played!

2 victory screens and 2 replays attached in zip file. I started doing an AAR this time, but we were playing pretty fast, and my AAR was too detailed, so again I gave up midway and continued just playing the turns... Apologies!
a432 wrote:No "dubno fields" or "the fork" using customizing starting force? In my opinion these two maps are the only maps that represent the best of order of battle game and mechanics. They feature everything I love about the game. They have good amount of money and command slots to support diversity, they require combined arms of air power, infantry, artillery and fast units. Both two bridges and arctic fox have these things but on such a small scale and limited units that it feels like training wheels on an otherwise great game. While things like battle of Britain, and the navy map seem like silly mini games exclusively focusing on one aspect.
I actually agree with you, but I am guessing the above maps are decided already. Let's hope the next tournament will have more "combined arms" maps.
Attachments
Round 2.zip
(976.33 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Thanks for all the Replays so far. Although not participating, I'm closely following the tournament.
Duplex
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Duplex »

I got destroyed right away by obo13. I never played multiplayer before.

Hi GabeKnight!
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
robertbiagini
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by robertbiagini »

I created a folder with the scenario title in my OOB scenarios folder and copied the zip files into that

when I select the game in Host Challenge mode I see 2 CPU players, myself and an empty slot - Jap vs USA, no Germans

what'd I do wrong?

thx
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

folders.jpg
folders.jpg (55.05 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
Hi Robert,

Your folders and files should look like this. My guess is that you've got one folder too many between Scenarios and R2_BattleNewBritain?

Ta
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

a432 wrote:No "dubno fields" or "the fork" using customizing starting force? In my opinion these two maps are the only maps that represent the best of order of battle game and mechanics. They feature everything I love about the game. They have good amount of money and command slots to support diversity, they require combined arms of air power, infantry, artillery and fast units. Both two bridges and arctic fox have these things but on such a small scale and limited units that it feels like training wheels on an otherwise great game. While things like battle of Britain, and the navy map seem like silly mini games exclusively focusing on one aspect.
These scenarios were considered but not chosen. Can't remember the reason for Dubno, but the Fork is simply too many turns to reach the neccesary points to win.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

I'm slightly afraid that Peninsula is not a balanced map where defender fighting in jungle has a great advantage. We do play mirrored games but still.

On the other hand, Arctic Fox is quite boring given that the snow halves movement speeds and there is only a single front, which makes for a very "static" battlefield. There're no breakthroughs or outflanking, just a clash in the middle and whoever gains an advantage just carries it till the end.

How about Boot Camp? It's small but at least has 2 fronts and even limited naval combat.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

13obo wrote:I'm slightly afraid that Peninsula is not a balanced map where defender fighting in jungle has a great advantage. We do play mirrored games but still.

On the other hand, Arctic Fox is quite boring given that the snow halves movement speeds and there is only a single front, which makes for a very "static" battlefield. There're no breakthroughs or outflanking, just a clash in the middle and whoever gains an advantage just carries it till the end.

How about Boot Camp? It's small but at least has 2 fronts and even limited naval combat.
This is the first OOB tournament and we'll hopefully learn something from administrating it :D
So if there will be a second one I'd expect some changes...
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Word!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

13obo wrote:I'm slightly afraid that Peninsula is not a balanced map where defender fighting in jungle has a great advantage. We do play mirrored games but still.

I'm going to massively defend Peninsula (as it's mine) :)

The defender has the advantage in the jungle, but the attacker has the huge mobility advantage as they can use the DD's to reembark onto transports at any point. Also the defender has almost no visibility, so you can do all sorts of sneaky stuff!

Return to “Order of Battle Series”