Wargamer PzC 2 first screenshots

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Delta66
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Wargamer PzC 2 first screenshots

Post by Delta66 »

From the screenshot I see so few units on the screen, it doesn't bode so well for a "strategy game".
I think my initial fear is becoming true, too much effort on the visual instead of the gameplay.
tenshin111
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by tenshin111 »

Kerensky wrote:Also, what is a 'paradox model' of DLC?
This means you release the base game full of bugs and missing features but you fix that with DLCs :P
tenshin111

Post by tenshin111 »

Delta66 wrote:From the screenshot I see so few units on the screen, it doesn't bode so well for a "strategy game".
I think my initial fear is becoming true, too much effort on the visual instead of the gameplay.
So, you have a seen a wild, single screenshot and you have already formed an opinion of what kind of game that would be? :roll:
WargamerJoe
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by WargamerJoe »

Delta66 wrote:From the screenshot I see so few units on the screen, it doesn't bode so well for a "strategy game".
If you read the article, you'll know that the game will have over 450 units when it launches. I don't see how you can look at a screen and assume that's all there is to a game.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

these are early alpha screens, game may look and feel totally different when it goes to beta and then into a RC release, while you get a feel of what it may or could be like by screen shots, it's early days and may come out not like what's shown now at all.

so i hold judgement until later on, but i like the looks of it tbh and wait to see how it progresses before i make my mind fully up :mrgreen:
tenshin111

Post by tenshin111 »

Kerensky wrote: I too am curious about this. But then the original Grand Campaign was designed as part of a direct response to something the main game lacked, an extremely meaty campaign. Base game sometimes had to cover an entire year of a 6 year war in a single scenario. I'm looking at you 1942 East Front. :wink:

I do agree that simply re-making the Grand Campaign 1:1 would have been a bad idea though. Plus I wouldn't want to just re-do all my work all over again, hell that'd be boring for me too. ;)
Don't worry, someone (Nico? ;)) will definitely re-make the original GC if only the scenario editor becomes available.
Mark50

Post by Mark50 »

Well, I have to hand it to Rudankort and whoever is doing the artwork: this is by far the best looking successor to Panzer General. The units are gorgeous, the map is visually detailed and at the same time not obstructive (and somehow manages to capture the feel of PG2) and the lighting is nice. I`m also happy to see real camouflage on units and the interface looks good too. Visually I don`t see a fault to this game (based on the single shot with two weather settings that is shown). There could be a discussion made about how the shoreline ends in sharp, pointy corners in some areas, but we`d need to see more pics of the terrain before really commenting on that.

The new mechanics announced also seem for the better, but I`d really like someone to clarify certain points:

1. What exactly does the "dynamic maps" mean? Are the graphics of the shrubs, trees and the like automatically arranged based on certain directions given through a map editor or is the whole map arbitrarily generated so that you have no control over which way the river is flowing (or if there`s a river placed at all)?

2. Does the "already including the majority of units that fought in WW2" mean you`re going way over what you`ve done in PzC or do you think a few additions will do? I`m still apprehensive about whether factions outside the Big 4 (Germany, US, UK and USSR) will get a fully functional roster this time around.
apostrophefz
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by apostrophefz »

kondi754 wrote:Panzer Corps isn't an operational scale game
It's nothing more than a puzzle game dressed in the realities of World War II (which I like very much, of course)
Let's not confuse checkers with chess :wink:
For a more pungent point, you should have compared checkers with Go. Chess is hardly strategic.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

apostrophefz wrote:
kondi754 wrote:Panzer Corps isn't an operational scale game
It's nothing more than a puzzle game dressed in the realities of World War II (which I like very much, of course)
Let's not confuse checkers with chess :wink:
For a more pungent point, you should have compared checkers with Go. Chess is hardly strategic.
It was more about the scale of complexity.

I think that using such terms as "strategic scale" or "operational scale" we do it in their military sense.
The fact that chess is a strategic game has nothing to do with the "strategic scale" in relation to war games. :wink:

Just like Go - with all due respect - is not a game in the operational scale. :)
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

tenshin111 wrote: Don't worry, someone (Nico? ;)) will definitely re-make the original GC if only the scenario editor becomes available.
Rudankort knows that a Pz1 to Pz2 scenario converter is very high on my wish list.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
jeff00t
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by jeff00t »

the game looks great! if gameplay is rich enough, it will be a pleasure to play this game .
my custom single player mini-campaign in order of battle : normandie-niemen: Image
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302
Athanatos
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Athanatos »

kondi754 wrote:
Athanatos wrote:
kondi754 wrote:and some towed AA/AT (probably Bofors 40mm)
Do you suppose the 8.8 FlaK 41 in the left background?

The buttons are copied from original Panzergeneral. :shock:

This is definitely not Flak 41, compare with photos
But if it's that model, so the devs did sloppy work
Right, I don't think anymore, it's a FlaK 41 but rather a PaK 43 (not PaK 43/41) "auf Kreuzlafette".
Attachments
In the foreground PaK43/41, in the background PaK 43.
In the foreground PaK43/41, in the background PaK 43.
8.8_cm_PaK_43-41_2.JPG (226.3 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Aiscalp wrote:One can only guess that they mean DLCs will come ala Crusader Kings 2 style :evil:
Hmm that doesn't fill me with confidence. I generally hear good things about that game, but not about it's paid addon content.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

tenshin111 wrote: This means you release the base game full of bugs and missing features but you fix that with DLCs :P
Well it was big news when Paradox suddenly became the Publisher on the new BattleTech game that is due very soon. April 2018. I'll be curious to see if they influence has much effect on the game. Me personally, I adore DLC. But it has to be well valued, well made, and really give the player what they want. Not just some extra cash grabbing, more of actual continued support and development of a beloved title. And it's the fans who finance the work when they buy continued addon content. That's how it should be.
Sourdust
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Sourdust »

Couple of other random observations, after having a closer look...

- Icons at the very top of the map indicate a range of different resources. The last 3 appear to be transport resources (sea/air/rail). The middle icons must be fuel and ammo pools, not sure about the rest - is one of them prestige?

The battle is Poland, but the date is 12/07/1940 - so the Poles appear to be doing much better than historically!

There is no text on the map, except the letters "Pre" appear in the shadow of the M3 Grant tank in the upper right. Curious!

Top right: there are some weather icons, then the turn indicator: 12/50 - I like the thought of 50-turn scenarios.

The minimap appears to bear no relation to the main tactical map. Strange. There's no obvious coastline on the minimap, and no obvious correspondence of the cities and roads on the tactical map with the lines and dots on the minimap.

Of course, this is just Alpha, so some or all of the above curiosities could just be placeholders!
lsnoop
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by lsnoop »

Alpha or not, think this will require a beastly PC with some next gen specs.
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

From first looks it reminds me of PG3D. Problem for me is the attempt to combine a 3D map with oversized units. With 2D I have no problem with that (unit size fills a hex) since it feels like a pawn on a chessboard. With 3D this somehow does not "feel" right since the environment wants to give you a sense of depth.
I will (of course... ) await the first free try out scenario (that is... I assume one can test the game for free before purchase). Then it may turn a balance/contest between the positive improvements (like supply and above mentioned changes in use of aircraft) and the "feel" of the game, greatly influenced by use of graphics.

I will wait with enticipation and hope PC2 will be moddableso it will see the often much wanted adaptations and improvements...
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

I hope someone from Wargamer misunderstood someone from Slitherine when it comes to the ahistoric character of the future game.
If the game will not be played on historical maps and there will be no historical battles and campaigns, I will not buy this game for sure.
JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

i think main problem with this view is how disproportional it is.. ground looks flat while units are huge.. Of course we cannot have units vs ground in 1:1 but what is on those pictures is not very appealing. I think they should think about changing units into Field of Glory 2 type of units, with multiple entities which are a bit smaller.. at the same time, making terrain pop out probably and get some "depth" so it doesnt look so flat..
donger
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by donger »

The colors looks like they got a treatment with bleach, I don't like it.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”