Things we learned the hard way.

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Things we learned the hard way.

Post by Barrold713 »

Stealing a line from Stephen Stills..."If you can't be with the army you love, love the one you're with"
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

Often you are faced with the choice of attacking this turn with two units onto one unit, or attacking this turn, hoping your unit survives, then attacking with the second unit from the flank on the next turn. It's usually better to do the latter but it rarely works on a pike phalanx or legionary unit unless you also have non-hoplite heavy infantry. Also don't wait for a pike phalanx to let you line up two units on it, the pike phalanx will simply go into square and your non-heavy infantry units will bounce off fragmented when they charge.
nats
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by nats »

40. Rough ground looks a lot like grass.
"It's life Jim, but not as we know it"
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by nyczar »

41. yes its true, your Mounted in the edge of a woods can be seen
42. yes, its true, Mounted cant hide in marshes either

two of my lessons from jumping in and not reading the manual
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

nyczar wrote:41. yes its true, your Mounted in the edge of a woods can be seen
But not if they are further into the wood.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

Light javelinmen can flank charge Cataphracts who are attacking from open ground into walled/ditched fields and will perform better than one would expect.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MVP7 wrote:Light javelinmen can flank charge Cataphracts who are attacking from open ground into walled/ditched fields and will perform better than one would expect.
Really? I don't think they can unless the Cataphracts are in one of the fields.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

rbodleyscott wrote:
MVP7 wrote:Light javelinmen can flank charge Cataphracts who are attacking from open ground into walled/ditched fields and will perform better than one would expect.
But if they were in the field shouldn't they be unflankable or is that an old rule? It's been a week or two and this was the point where I hit alt-f4 after a battle that had been a Rube Goldberg machine of failure the like of which I had not experienced since my first time(s) playing Sengoku Jidai.
Last edited by MVP7 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MVP7 wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:
But if they were in the field shouldn't they be unflankable or is that an old rule?
The flank protection only works for infantry.

(Sorry, I accidentally edited your post).
Richard Bodley Scott

cfeicht_slith
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by cfeicht_slith »

43. Stopping Galatian Warbands with Thureophoroi is to catch the deluge with a paper cup.
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

44. When pursuing broken units, cavaly doesn't mind charging into elephants flank. Guess how well that went for the horsemen.
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

45. Elephants laugh at your puny horsemen, no matter which direction they come from. Hit an elephant in the rear, and it will strangle ten men and horses with its tail while your men drink bitter tears. An elephant sees all. It never forgets.

(EDIT: How did I get 400 hours into this game without learning that elephants aren't affected by flank attacks?)
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

they are. Just not by cavalry or lights. Any formed infantry will do the trick. Or other elephants.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

nats wrote:40. Rough ground looks a lot like grass.
Any chance you could post some screen shots of where this is a problem as I've remade all the rough terrain a few times to add more rock and generally increase the visual differences without it looking entirely crap or impassable. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just not getting the nature of the confusion.

Cheers.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Patrick Ward wrote:
nats wrote:40. Rough ground looks a lot like grass.
Any chance you could post some screen shots of where this is a problem as I've remade all the rough terrain a few times to add more rock and generally increase the visual differences without it looking entirely crap or impassable. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just not getting the nature of the confusion.
As stated before, maybe it is because the terrain textures merge together at the edges, so there is some rough ground texture on Open Terrain squares adjacent to rough ground. This is necessary because otherwise it would look awful.

Personally, I think the Rough Ground textures themselves are as clear as day, the nature of the terrain on a particular square only becomes less clear because of the merging issue. This issue would not be solved even if the rough ground texture was pulsating neon pink.
Richard Bodley Scott

pbuck777
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by pbuck777 »

When you autodeploy on a map with impassable terrain, check to make sure that none of your units are completely cut off from the actual battlefield before you start the match. ESPECIALLY when it is the final round of a league/tournament event! (Though given how well cunningcairn played in the match that I screenshotted, I doubt having 5 more skirmisher units would have made a whole lot of difference, and he definitely earned that win.) :D
Attachments
FoG2 Themed Event Final Battle.jpg
FoG2 Themed Event Final Battle.jpg (724.51 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Make sure your C in C does not charge recklessly through your own line of Spearmen(disrupting them) onto the lances of enemy cavalry dying an ignoble death for his brash stupidity and sending your surrounding troops into paroxysms of despair! :O
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

46: Sometimes the winning move is not to play. Or at least not charge into a unit you have safely fixed in place, promptly disrupting your own soldiers. Invincibility in defence and victory in attack can quickly become defeat in attack followed by misery on the defence if one makes the wrong move!
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

47. Just because you think the battle will be over before your opponent's flanking force arrives doesn't mean it will be over by the time your opponent's flanking force arrives. If your opponent sends a large part of his cavalry running round the periphery of the map, have a plan for what to do if it arrives.
kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kilroy1 »

48. Reconnaissance before a battle is extremely important. When bringing Heavy Chariots to the field make sure the stream running completely across your front line is not deep.

kilroy

Return to “Field of Glory II”