New FOGII (April 2018) Campaign Tournament (bbogensc)

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Moderator Notes

Post by bbogensc »

A couple notes:

* The rule for complex cross-attack situations has now been added to the ruleset. In simple terms, if an attack goes outbound from a province, the outbound armies do not defend the province if that province is simultaneously attacked from another direction. There is an example in the ruleset if that explanation is not clear.

* I erred in the last turn by allowing an attack from province 32 to 33, which do not border per the geographical rules. The result will stand as that was my error. Those provinces do not border.
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: New FOGII (April 2018) Campaign Tournament (bbogensc)

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Despite the valiant Macedonian defence and cowardice of warbands, Dacian lancers and falxmen were able to overcome phalanxes and conquer Macedonian homelands.
39 to 61%, victory for Dacia.
Surprisingly, only 19% in the final casualties list, so I guess I keep all the armies?
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

Yes, you keep all 3 armies.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Turn 4 Battle List

Post by bbogensc »

Turn 4 Battle List

Note: A couple players informed me they are still on vacation and were not assigned any neutral battles.

(1) 3x3 Najanaja Carthage (Hannibal in Africa) v nyczar South Rome (199BC to 106BC)

(2) 2x3 RagnarOneTooth Pyrric v nyczar South Rome (199BC to 106BC)

(3) 6x4 RagnarOneTooth Pyrric v nyczar Rome13 (199BC to 106BC) (Note: battle fought as 4x4)

(4) 3x1 morbio Syracuse v Greek26 (Nosy_Rat)

(5) 2x1 Dacia (Nosy_Rat) v Greek26 (morbio)

(6) 2x1 Dacia (Nosy_Rat) v Bosporus28 (Ludendorf)

(7) 1x1 Antigonid gamercb (Kyrenian Greek 460BC) v Bosporus28 (Ludendorf)

(8) 2x1 Antigonid (320BC to 301BC) gamercb v Lysimachid31 (paulmcneill)

(9) 4x2 Seleucid 166BC Shadowblack v Kappadocia37 (paulmcneill)

(10) 2x1 Seleucid Shadowblack v Skythia South (Kabill) ATTACKER CHOOSES Seleucid 166BC or Armenian Tigranes

(11) 4x1 Persia (Armenian Tigranes) bbogensc v Armenia 43 (Shadowblack) Armenian Tigranes

(12) 2x1 Persia 480BC to 461BC bbogensc v Arabia40 (Kabill)
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

Challenge submitted and PM sent to Nosy_Rat for the Syracusan force going to Greece 26 to help it's people defend against the naked aggression from Dacia.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

PM System and Turns

Post by bbogensc »

Ive received the comments from 2 players that missed the last turn that the PM system did not function for them. I sent out multiple reminders to all players. I'll think about how to handle this over the next few days. If anyone has suggestions let me know.
paulmcneil
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by paulmcneil »

I think they were saying that it didn't work because they don't check their messages that often (correct me if I'm wrong). If that is the case, then you have a couple of choices,

1. slow the campaign down to the speed of slower players, until you reach the point where people don't complain, thereby having a slower but bigger campaign. or

2. you stick to your guns on what you originally set out, and have slightly fewer people in a faster campaign.

Doesn't bother me either way, only time I get annoyed is when i'm told to "hurry up" when the time deadline hasn't been reached, but has been brought forward.

Would be interested to know why there is an emphasis on speed in getting through this campaign?
Paul McNeil
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Turn 4

Post by bbogensc »

Im going to allow batesmotel and ironclad to submit a late turn with limits. Ive sent the details to the nearby players.
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

I wouldn't mind taking things at a slightly more leisurely pace, though I'm fine with the current rate. Nothing wrong with having ten turn tactical phases; that battle time limit is standard for tournaments and Slitherine seem to have decided that wasn't long enough judging by the 14 day round times in the latest tournament. Those of us who play at lightning speeds can always involve ourselves in other things.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

Ok understood. Thanks for the feedback.

My opponent in KO tourney has slowed down to 1 turn pet day after falling behind and I enjoy the game much less at the slow pace to be honest.
shadowblack
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by shadowblack »

A whole turn per day? Aren't you the lucky one. :cry:
paulmcneil

Post by paulmcneil »

Here's a suggestion, why not assume that each player will raise an army of the indigenous type for each territory they own each turn, unless they tell you otherwise, that gets rid off half the compunction to be timely with moves. Secondly if no orders are received, then no moves take place for that player's armies, i.e. they take no offensive action.

The only issue is if a player does not respond to a battle challenge in response to an invasion. If you/the attacker PM's them, and they don't either respond or take up the challenge in a timely manner, you get a neutral to play for them.

If they consistently don't fight battles then they effectively take themselves out of the campaign.
Paul McNeil
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by nyczar »

I think the issue is solved by being consistent with timing of the strategic phase so there is not an advancement, even if battles are resolved. That way, players know the cadence of the game and then it becomes appropriate to have some sort of "Automatic assumptions" as paul suggests if a player doesn't log their strategic moves.

I haven't been impacted yet by the advancing of the strategic phase, but I do travel for work and when i am on the road it becomes hard for me to wear my robes and crown and to send dispatches to my friends and enemies; most of my time is spent focusing on the trial and tribulations of my job which has much less global significance :D.

While we are talking on this, I have a selfish request as well if this can work: could we set the due date of the strategic turns to GMT 15:00? I think I may be the only US based player (in EST and guess what city) That extra time would allow me to get responses back to my dispatches from the european players in their AM which then allows me incorporate their responses into my moves in my AM as well. I am not able to make moves when i get up due to my domestics duties (even an emperor must sometimes help the kids get to school), but as i do have a door at my work so i can type a move their if things are last minute. As it stands now, I had basically a day to communicate as I had to get orders in my night time. As i said, this is a selfish request and i am well aware that there are others in the game who are in other parts of the globe where this time move might suck. So it is just a suggestion, and I will deal if it can't work.

It may not matter what i say anyway, as i have been so ruthlessly invaded by an ambitious king and depotic oligarchy.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

Paul Yes, makes sense. I have followed this auto build convention so far and can formalize it in the rules. We have not yet had a player not take up the battle invitation but I presume that will also happen soon.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

Ok, I've received the turns from batesmotel and ironclad.

One battle has resulted in province 11.

3x3 batesmotel Roman v ironclad German horse tribes.

Batesmotel please go ahead and set up the challenge, etc with the Roman army you built.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Challeng for ironclad posted, password ironclad.

Consul batesmotel of Etruria.
....where life is beautiful all the time
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Dacia defeats Bosporans 21 to 46% (11% final casualties) and conquers province 28.
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

The Bosporan defenders set out their armies in a mixed formation, with lancers at the fore and imitation legionaries further back. Swarms of foot and horse archers stood on the left flank, ready to waylay the Dacian lancers, while a small band of heavy horse archers lay in wait in the forests on the right flank. The Dacians suffered considerable losses pushing through the skirmisher screen, and the falxmen opposing the Bosporan right suffered heavy casualties from the horse archers. However, a unit of lancers on the Bosporan right were drawn away out of formation, and its neighbouring lancers were disrupted, fatally weakening the formation on the right, as a unit of Bosporan missile horse got itself foolishly caught against a forest; the vengeful falxmen massacred them. A unit of reserve Dacian cavalry saw off the other archer company. Meanwhile, the sheer weight of the Dacian cavalry charge meant that even after several of their companies were sent fleeing from the battle, the rest were able to smash through the hastily refused left flank of the Bosporan army. With the left in chaos and the right faltering, the Bosporan centre holding back the warband tide fell back in panic, and before night fell, half the Bosporan army was dead, wounded, captured or simply missing in action.

It is expected the Bosporan capital will surrender within weeks.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Etruria defeats Germania 10% to 40% to conquer area 11. Final casualties 15%. Thanks to Ironclad for a good game.

batesmotel, Consul of Etruria
....where life is beautiful all the time
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

Bosporus (Ludendorf) defeats Kyrene (gamercb) 47-61. Casualty rate is 22-57%.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”