Anniversary coupon - what to buy?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Anniversary coupon - what to buy?

Post by kondi754 »

Please advise me which game to buy.
I think I have everything - PzC Gold, OoB all campaigns, Battle Academy 1@2 + all DLCs and many other WW2 games
I'm thinking about some s-f or fantasy strategy or some good game from the Middle Ages or antiquity...
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Anniversary coupon - what to buy?

Post by terminator »

kondi754 wrote:Please advise me which game to buy.
I think I have everything - PzC Gold, OoB all campaigns, Battle Academy 1@2 + all DLCs and many other WW2 games
I'm thinking about some s-f or fantasy strategy or some good game from the Middle Ages or antiquity...
- s-f or fantasy strategy :arrow: Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach
- good game from the Middle Ages or antiquity... :arrow: Field of Glory II
ME262
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ME262 »

hello kondi, I have been following your "skins" add on.. Hoping that all those great creations can somehow be added to an update by the devs. I would use your coupon to purchase the battle academy series.... loads of challenges and the graphics and game mechanics are excellent! happy hunting.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

terminator wrote: - s-f or fantasy strategy :arrow: Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach
Did you play this game?
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

ME262 wrote:hello kondi, I have been following your "skins" add on.. Hoping that all those great creations can somehow be added to an update by the devs. I would use your coupon to purchase the battle academy series.... loads of challenges and the graphics and game mechanics are excellent! happy hunting.
Thanks a lot for your kind words.
Unfortunately, I have all of the Battle Academy series :)
Yogi the Great
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Yogi the Great »

Well if you have Tigers on the Hunt the new DLC (Normandy) is being released July 5th. If you don't have it buy both. :wink:
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Yogi the Great wrote:Well if you have Tigers on the Hunt the new DLC (Normandy) is being released July 5th. If you don't have it buy both. :wink:
I must admit I thought about it...
Do you think it's worth?
I got the impression that it is a game similar to "Conflict of heroes".
Is there also a campaign or only single maps here?
Yogi the Great
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Yogi the Great »

kondi754 wrote:
Yogi the Great wrote:Well if you have Tigers on the Hunt the new DLC (Normandy) is being released July 5th. If you don't have it buy both. :wink:
I must admit I thought about it...
Do you think it's worth?
I got the impression that it is a game similar to "Conflict of heroes".
Is there also a campaign or only single maps here?
I do think it is worth it especially if you are an old Grognard and have fond memories of classic Avalon Hill type board games. No the game is not ASL (Advanced Squad Leader) but if you are familiar with that it will certainly bring back memories of it. Not for those that want beer and pretzel type games and no game is perfect. Read through some of the thread for it on the Matrix forum for some insight into the game. I'm certainly not one of the experts on it. There are some campaigns, it is not a single map with most scenarios having their own maps.
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 »

For fantasy game play Battle for Wesnoth, it is free. If you don't mind graphics is not advanced.

For coupon try Unity of Command, you will scratch your head to get all Briliant Victories in Stalingrad Campaign.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I'd back up Terminator's suggestions for you.

Field of Glory 2 (or Pike & Shot if you prefer that period, or indeed Sengoku Jidai) is a really interesting game using some really very clever battle mechanics.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

uran21 wrote:For fantasy game play Battle for Wesnoth, it is free. If you don't mind graphics is not advanced.

For coupon try Unity of Command, you will scratch your head to get all Briliant Victories in Stalingrad Campaign.
I got Briliant Victories in all scenarios during Barbarossa and Fall Blau when I played German@Soviet's side.
I'm waiting for Unity of Command 2 :wink:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 68&t=73467
Last edited by kondi754 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uran21

Post by uran21 »

kondi754 wrote: I'm waiting for Unity of Command 2 :wink:
I am also excited about that one :D
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Yes, thanks for the info, Kondi. The screens from Unity of Command 2 really looks good. I might try that one, too.

But no official site, yet?
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

GabeKnight wrote:Yes, thanks for the info, Kondi. The screens from Unity of Command 2 really looks good. I might try that one, too.

But no official site, yet?
There is only Dev's Blog on the official UoC site.

https://unityofcommand.net/blog/
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Mojko »

I recommend buying XCOM 2 and playing this with Mod called Long War 2. You like difficult strategy games? You like punishing difficulty? You like the painful punishment for your strategic mistakes? You have your own mistress whipping you every day as you play your favourite games like I do? (just kidding, I don't actually have a mistress or do I? :lol:).

I also recommend viewing the wiki for this mode as well. I'll be playing this until next OOB DLC is ready.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

I followed the advice of @terminator and @Yogi the Great

Bought Sanctus Reach, Field of Glory II and Tigers on the Hunt
@All, Thanks a lot for your suggestions
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Mojko wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:29 pm I recommend buying XCOM 2 and playing this with Mod called Long War 2.
Wow. I love that game (and the whole series for that. I'll never forget the original and killing me some Sectiods... :mrgreen: ). Didn't know they've made mods for that. :shock:
A big thanks for that link, Mojko! :!: :D
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

I play Sanctus Reach, I'm playing the 2nd battle now (I also accomplished 3 skirmishes). The game is incredibly addictive, I started at the veteran level. Monsters are bloodthirsty and they want to destroy you at all costs, but they are intelligent too. The games are amazing tactically. I received self-propelled energy guns before second battle - this equipment have amazing animation and power ...
Incredible fun!
I also played the first tutorial battle in Field of Glory II, it absorbed me a lot, I didn't know when it was an hour. Production at a very high level (gameplay & historical correctness) - here I started on the 2nd level of difficulty, because didn't play such games earlier
I also saw video-tutorials for Tigers on the hunt on Youtube and I think this game will be the best... :D
Generally, shopping proved to be very successful. :wink:
uran21

Post by uran21 »

Does immersion in the setting (and I do not mean historical accuracy here but setting in general) plays a role for you to enjoy the game or it is all about tactical challenge?

If I had two games to play I would let only one to absorb me and spend with it some time before switching to other. Do you plan to play them both alternately?
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

uran21 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:58 am Does immersion in the setting (and I do not mean historical accuracy here but setting in general) plays a role for you to enjoy the game or it is all about tactical challenge?

If I had two games to play I would let only one to absorb me and spend with it some time before switching to other. Do you plan to play them both alternately?
At the very beginning the level of difficulty doesn't matter, but when I know the mechanics of the game better, it happens to me to start the game from the beginning at a higher level.
Field of Glory has a lot of different factors - both units, commanders and the terrain on which the battle takes place. At this point, the second level seems optimal.

I don't plan to play simultaneously. I think I'll finish Sanctus Reach first, then sit down to Field of Glory.
I will use Tigers on the Hunt on long autumn and winter evenings.
I wanted to check if I made a good choice but I will play one after the other.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”