Historical German Flag Mod 1.4

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Wargamer74
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Historical German Flag Mod 1.4

Post by Wargamer74 »

I uploaded a new version to mediafire for anyone who wants it. I mostly made this for myself and it's not meant to be taken too seriously or condone Nazism it's just for a better historical gaming experience. 8)

The mod includes :

The historically correct national flag of Nazi Germany. Officially the off centered version was supposed to be the National flag and the centered one represented the party.
New Kriegsmarine flags
A modified German theme UI, it’s still the same one but it adds the swastika in the middle.
Waffen SS flags
New campaign selection icons

Version 1.4 also has improved color and flag textures
An animated flag for the AI, it's just a gif I made in gimp that I converted over to ogv format.
Modified rubber stamps on the campaign scenario maps of Europe, each campaign has it's own maps and even though there pretty much the same I included all of them with the mod for ease of installing.
Improved national flag emblems
I also added a small fix for the Italian flag

I consider this to be the finale version although later on I might see about improving a few things.

I can't upload this version of the mod directly to the forum due to the increased size

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yllepf8io ... 4.zip/file

The mod has the same folder structure found in the game so simply copy and paste over the originals.

I left the original versions uploaded in case anyone prefers those.

I also added white Kriegsmarine flags for anyone who wants them, I prefer the historical look but these do match the original theme.
Attachments
White Kriegsmarine Flags.zip
(72.25 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
OobWWII German Flag Mod 1.2.zip
(1016.88 KiB) Downloaded 1095 times
OobWWII German Flag Mod.zip
(1007.94 KiB) Downloaded 713 times
Last edited by Wargamer74 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Historical German Flag Mod

Post by Shards »

HI!

FYI, my general stance on the historical symbology from WW2 is that what you chose to mod into your own game is entirely your prerogative.

However, given that it's a well known thing that many of these symbols are banned in some countries, I'd prefer it if posted images didn't contain them.

Thanks,

Shards
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

Shards wrote:HI!

FYI, my general stance on the historical symbology from WW2 is that what you chose to mod into your own game is entirely your prerogative.

However, given that it's a well known thing that many of these symbols are banned in some countries, I'd prefer it if posted images didn't contain them.

Thanks,

Shards
Sorry about that, for me it's not a big deal if used in a wargame but I realize some people may take offense.
Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Thanks for your quality work! Appreciated.

I also prefer historical accuracy. We do know all the laws and rules on sales. Copyrighted car brands in certain games for example. But we can change it back anything ourselves as we like.

Btw in my country the red star is also banned, in the same paragraph as german hakenkreuz. Yet it is used and displayed here and there - no one gives crap. Frak you Heineken )))))

Just one more thing... do you have a spare template to modify the UI bar? Hungary has no specific one, I thought to make one...
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

Admiral_Horthy wrote:Thanks for your quality work! Appreciated.

I also prefer historical accuracy. We do know all the laws and rules on sales. Copyrighted car brands in certain games for example. But we can change it back anything ourselves as we like.

Btw in my country the red star is also banned, in the same paragraph as german hakenkreuz. Yet it is used and displayed here and there - no one gives crap. Frak you Heineken )))))
For me historical accuracy increases the immersion and fun of the game but it's not meant to be taken too far, just displaying the correct political symbols used by all nations at the time is fine if being used for the purposes of a historical war game but of course we do have mod these things in because of laws against displaying anything related to Nazis which is perfectly understandable plus if Slitherine ever did put out a game with Nazi flags I'm sure a lot people wouldn't be too pleased. There is a another game by a US company that actually does use a Picture of Hitler and the Nazi flag for Germany but it's the only game I know of that isn't censored and if I remember right the old Steel panthers game uses the historical flag for Germany but most of the time you have to mod these things into just about any modern WWII game. I look at it like modeling were want the look to be as accurate as possible.
Just one more thing... do you have a spare template to modify the UI bar? Hungary has no specific one, I thought to make one...
I used a plugin for Gimp called resynthizer to modify the original German UI; I don’t know how difficult it would be to make a Hungarian UI from scratch that also looks right with the game (yes I’m perfectionist), it could be done but you would need to make you own template.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

First of all: Thanks Wargamer74, for making these available to the community.

I've been using a similar "Historical Flag" creation (from another forum member) for my mod already.

One thing that has bothered me with his and your designs, though, is the "emblem_germany.tga" file. I've got kind of used to the colour schemes of the different factions, that's why my Kriegsmarine units will always have GREY flags and markers, for example. So I really don't like the "white" pattern inside the German unit's emblems:
1) vanilla, 2)/3) modded
1) vanilla, 2)/3) modded
Germany_emblem_mod.jpg (252.85 KiB) Viewed 11530 times
The third pattern's about the closest to what I'd find acceptable...

What I'm getting at is this: If it's not too much to ask, would it be possible to make/modify an emblem file that has the stock dark red/black colours in them (with just very thin white outlines), but with the swastika symbol instead of the cross?
_emblem_germany_stock.jpg
_emblem_germany_stock.jpg (3.07 KiB) Viewed 11530 times
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

The one in the middle looks like the mod I'm using. I prefer this.
The one on the right is not clear enough game-wise for me.
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

What I'm getting at is this: If it's not too much to ask, would it be possible to make/modify an emblem file that has the stock dark red/black colours in them (with just very thin white outlines), but with the swastika symbol instead of the cross?
One of the problems with swastikas, it's almost impossible to make it look decent when it's rendered at such small sizes and the way the game shrinks the emblems screws up the details. I guess that's why the original artist used a very simple design for emblems.

I used a Luftwaffe emblem for this version

This one has thicker white outlines
emblem_germany.zip
(5.78 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Last edited by Wargamer74 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

And this one has thinner outlines
emblem_germany.zip
(5.1 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
I also made some white versions of the Kriegsmarine flags, the download is in the first post. I like a more historical look for the colors but these do match the original theme.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Wow. Nice. 8) THANKS!!! :D
Wargamer74 wrote:One of the problems with swastikas, it's almost impossible to make it look decent when it's rendered at such small sizes and the way the game shrinks the emblems screws up the details. I guess that's why the original artist used a very simple design for emblems.
True. Maybe a slightly bigger swastika would look better? Anyways, that's good enough for me, I'll be using yours from now on. Thanks again! :)
Wargamer74 wrote:I also made some white versions of the Kriegsmarine flags, the download is in the first post. I like a more historical look for the colors but these do match the original theme.
I've made similar ones already, but I'm no artist, yours look definitely nicer. I'll use them instead. Thanks for that, too. :wink:
WarHomer

Post by WarHomer »

How and where do you install these?

And I suppose you´ll have to do some back-up of the original ones?
McLeoudX
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by McLeoudX »

WarHomer wrote:How and where do you install these?
Search for the folder named "emblems"
For example in: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Order of Battle Pacific\64-bit\Order of Battle - WW2_64_Data\Content\Graphics\Emblems
All kind of Graphics are here!
And it is always a good idea to make backups of anything you change in the game!

Greetings :)
There can only be one :)
McLeoudX
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by McLeoudX »

For example in: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Order of Battle Pacific\64-bit\Order of Battle - WW2_64_Data\Content\Graphics\Emblems
And it is always a good idea to make backups of anything you change in the game!

There can only be one :)
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

McLeoudX wrote:

The mod already has the correct folder structure from the base game. Flags go in the flags folder, emblems in the emblems folder and so on. You will need to make backups in case you want to go back to the original flags otherwise you'll have to reinstall the game.
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

deleted
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Seems like the "double-post" error's still not fixed in the forum, right? :wink:
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

GabeKnight wrote:Seems like the "double-post" error's still not fixed in the forum, right? :wink:
This is the first time I've seen that error, we're having some issues with our internet and I thought it was from that but apparently it's the forums.
WarHomer

Post by WarHomer »

I´ve learned a bit more about mods now.

They are supposed to go in the mod folder and you select a mod (or the basic game) on start up.

This is not true for this flag "mod"? Instead you have to overwrite some of the the basic files?
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

WarHomer wrote:I´ve learned a bit more about mods now.

They are supposed to go in the mod folder and you select a mod (or the basic game) on start up.

This is not true for this flag "mod"? Instead you have to overwrite some of the the basic files?
I've never used the editor with OOB but I suppose you could make a whole new campaign using Blitzkrieg as a template and put the mod in there but in my opinion it's a lot easier just to copy and paste over the original flags but you will need to manually back up each file in case you want to go back.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

A mod in OoB basically "overrides" the vanilla game installation files without the necessity to overwrite/backup the originals. In short, you recreate the folder structure of the game's \content\ folder within your mod. That way you can swap/change game files like pics, flags, units, music, sound and text without having to touch the original installation. It's way more convenient (and you'll still have the working stock game to fall back to if something goes wrong within your mod :wink: )

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”