Terrain wishlist

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Terrain wishlist

Post by Erik2 »

A road should function as a road for movement purposes whatever the terrain it is in.
Currently some vehicles may not move into certain terrain; desert hill, swamp, jungle, mountain etc
So you should be able to move a tank into jungle, but its combat stats would be poor.

A new 'mountain peak' terrain where you can't add a road (in the editor).

A new wide/deep river type (dark blue) which would block all movement except by engineer units (which should be able to lay a pontoon bridge using more turns than current bridge-building).

A (cosmetic?) wadi/dry river type (brown) to break up the desert 'sameness'.

A cosmetic 'trees' option that would sprinkle trunks over a whole hex, not only the current hex-side trees. These new trees could be used to vary difficult terrain (hills) and mountains.

Cosmetic landmarks like Eiffel Tower, Kreml, Big Ben, Brandenburger Tor, Stortinget etc to add a bit of extra for those end-of-campaign scenarios.

More?
GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Terrain wishlist

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

Great idea landmarks!! Colosseo and San Pietro for Rome, London bridge, duomo for Milan and more and more others...
Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

No need for new river hex, simple allow bridges over water, if they are destroyed they prevent movement (except ships/amphib) and also break supply. The rest I support, or at least give us tools / instructions how to make new he decors. 3D objects are easy to make.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Yes, paved roads should definitely allow all units to be able to pass through all sorts of terrain (with reduced speed).

Also agree with more decorations, esp. some of the wast desert maps look quite uniform.
Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Navman2854 »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 pm No need for new river hex, simple allow bridges over water, if they are destroyed they prevent movement (except ships/amphib) and also break supply. The rest I support, or at least give us tools / instructions how to make new he decors. 3D objects are easy to make.
+1 - a new hex would be ok to indicate a major river. The current water crossing penalty is ok I guess for minor rivers,streams, creeks etc. But totally agree and have since I first started playing OOB, rivers are much too easy to cross making bridges not quite as important as they actually were. One of the other war games I played (can't remember which, might have been Steel Panthers) had certain ground units have the ability to use assault rafts. Maybe that as an special trait?
GUNDOBALDO08

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

Panzer General 2 had bridge engineer units and 1 hex river unpassable without bridge... i agree It would be nice to have that on oOB
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

GabeKnight wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 am Yes, paved roads should definitely allow all units to be able to pass through all sorts of terrain (with reduced speed).
+1

That's why the road is built there.
Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 »

CoolDTA wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:40 pm
GabeKnight wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 am Yes, paved roads should definitely allow all units to be able to pass through all sorts of terrain (with reduced speed).
+1

That's why the road is built there.
+2
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

I thought about a bit bigger bridge icon, that crosses the entire width of the hex. This type of bridge should be contiguous with another one so it could handle multiple hexes and map scale (in case someone makes a company level scenario)

My concern was also to allow ships to pass also prevent unit crossings if the bridge is destroyed.

Stone/concrete Wall : Same as escarpment but different graphics. Better suited for urban areas - eg. castle, fort, etc - should also give some height to the hex

Return to “Order of Battle Series”