Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #1

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #1

Post by AlbertoC »

Welcome to the first issue of Panzer Corps 2 Developer Diary. The initial announcement of Panzer Corps 2 was a little while ago now, and we understand that it left many people waiting for more information. In this issue we will try to provide a general overview of where we are going with this project and what to expect from it. We will provide much more information on each individual aspect of the game in future diaries.

Gameplay changes

Panzer Corps was intended as a spiritual sequel to the classic Panzer General series, and we were very careful to preserve the traditions of that series that made it so great for its day. We are taking the same very careful approach to game design in Panzer Corps 2. We are not trying to fix things which are not broken in the first place. Many aspects of the game, including the list of unit classes and unit stats, remain unchanged, and Panzer Corps veterans will feel themselves instantly at home with the new game. At the same time, we are giving the player a number of new tactical options, which will make the playing experience even more interesting and engaging. Here are some examples of these options:

Overrun. This was probably the most requested feature in Panzer Corps, and we had no other option other than to include it. Overrun is a unique ability of tanks to run over crippled enemy units and destroy them in the process, without spending their move or attack action. This feature not only helps to better represent the role of tanks in WW2, but also gives many interesting tactical implications from a pure gameplay point of view.

Encirclements. Panzer Corps is a “wargame” in the first place, and for most players its “war” aspect is the most interesting of all. On the other hand, moving around non-combat supply units, counting supply points etc. is much less fun. For this reason, we decided early on that the new game would not include a full-blown realistic model of supply. However, we felt that cutting enemy units from supply was a very interesting and useful tactical option, so we have included it in the game. It works like this: when a group of units is encircled by the enemy (only “passable” terrain needs to be blocked), it no longer receives any supply, and on top of this, encircled units will get a progressive combat penalty every turn. So now, the player has a choice: tackle the next objective head on, or try to encircle it and weaken the defenders before dealing with them.

Infantry unit is isolated on a small peninsula by the sea and the enemy. It does not get any supply here.

Splitting units. In Panzer Corps 2 any unit can be split into two equal halves (of course, at a cost of additional unit slots) which will act on the battlefield as two independent units. Splitting has countless tactical uses, especially in combination with encirclements as described above. Certain unit classes can especially benefit from it, like recon.

Captured units. Captured units in Panzer Corps campaigns were so popular, we’ve decided to make them a part of core game mechanics. When you force enemy unit to surrender, its equipment is captured and added to a pool. Later you can use this pool to create new units or replenish existing ones for free. This adds yet another tactical consideration: shall I destroy this unit, or try to make it surrender instead?

Unique hero abilities. Unlike Panzer Corps, where heroes only gave stat boosts to units, in Panzer Corps 2 they will have many unique tactical abilities, and some of these abilities will be synergistic. So, using your heroes in the best way possible will be a different task in every playthrough.

Air and Naval Warfare. Other major changes will happen in air and naval warfare. Ground combat was the most sophisticated and interesting part of Panzer Corps. With so many different rules, unit classes and terrain types, ground war was a varied and rich gameplay experience. We felt that air and naval warfare was somewhat lacking in comparison. Our ultimate goal in the sequel is to make them interesting enough to allow dedicated “naval only” and “air only” scenarios, and to achieve this goal, we are looking at various “naval only” and “air only” hex-based wargames for inspiration.

The most important change in the air war is that all aircraft act from airfields now, and return to their base automatically at the beginning of their turn. Also, just as in real life, the effectiveness of aircraft drops as the distance to their base increases. This means that all air rules and mechanics from Panzer Corps (like mass attack, interceptors etc.) remain in place, but at the same time the airfields, their location on the map, timely capture and proper defense become key elements in air warfare.

As for naval war, naval terrain is “by definition” less interesting than ground terrain, with endless sea hexes going in all directions. To compensate for this, ships themselves will be more complex entities, with various factors (like orientation and position of turrets) affecting combat effectiveness, and a damage model (inspired by Pacific General) going beyond the simple “strength number” under the ship. Carrier and submarine classes will be much better fleshed out to represent their unique roles in naval war. A more advanced naval model will allow this series to branch out into any theatre of war in the future, including the “naval-heavy” Pacific, something which Panzer Corps never did.
Searry
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #1

Post by Searry »

I have to say, the graphics are still too messy to distinguish terrain at a glance.
RandomAttack
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by RandomAttack »

Sounds interesting! I just hope hose shadows are an option to turn off-- they are terrible.
fuselex
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by fuselex »

hmmm , just wondering if it`s to late to go back to 2D ?
that really has no visual appeal
Rood
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Rood »

Thank you!
Sounds all good to me, so keep those dev diaries coming :)
GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

Finally some news about this game. In screenshot I notice that panzer panther has same dimention of panzer I and II, I hope in final version proportions willbe respected...
RVallant

Post by RVallant »

Fab, great to hear some news.

Air mechanic makes sense now that it's been explained a bit. I'm looking forward to the naval changes too. Still got my fingers crossed for a grand campaign though. :P

One thing I'd like to hear more about is the balance between certain units. I remember a lot of people dropped infantry the moment the heavy tanks started coming along. Indeed, in Russia their tanks could wipe out infantry even in poor terrain (forests etc). Will AT be adjusted to provide allied hex with fire support? Stuff like that.

But regardless, I'm interested in the next diaries. :)
harley9699

Post by harley9699 »

Loved the read and the ideas.
Great 3D work. As some have said, the shadows are a bit much, but hell, it's very, very EA.
Really liked RVallant's Campaign idea as well.

Most of all, for me: the more aspects of Order of Battle's play you can put in, the better it'll be. (see you've already started with the supply idea/functionality).
Even though I still play some PC, OoB is the better PG successor.
And, yeah, I'm one of 'those guys' - the one that has all the DLCs for both games (as well as the lighter BA series). :D :oops: :mrgreen:

All, of course, just my two cents.
DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by DonCzirr »

Terrain looks very nice.

Please include option for NATO counters.

Thanks
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Digital3d
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Digital3d »

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:24 pm Finally some news about this game. In screenshot I notice that panzer panther has same dimention of panzer I and II, I hope in final version proportions willbe respected...
I completely agree. The infantry also look a bit big while the ships are too small. AFAIK, ships could carry thousands of soldiers at a time while right now they can't even carry 3.
! infantry = 4 pixels
1 Ship = 40 Hex
Am I right or I am right?

Also I am hoping that trees, City selection, Shadows, Ship material and textures are placeholders for now and will be improve.
Lighting and Ports are great.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

We'll have some info on game modes and the campaign in our next diary.
jjglvz
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by jjglvz »

It looks like available train/ship/plane transports are visible at the top of the screen. Yay!
Ravihon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ravihon »

Firstly let me say good to see something at all, after this long waiting period. I like the described changes and things that will stay so far, graphics are acceptable at this stage and do not bother me that much. @AlbertoC when is the next Dev Diary due?
"Da wo ich bin, ist vorne..."
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Ravihon wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 am. @AlbertoC when is the next Dev Diary due?
Early August.
Ravihon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ravihon »

AlbertoC wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:42 pm
Ravihon wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 am. @AlbertoC when is the next Dev Diary due?
Early August.
Thanks @AlbertoC, that was quick :D . Knowing I might be tempting fate here, any idea on the release date or a closed/open beta or even an early access?
"Da wo ich bin, ist vorne..."
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Ravihon wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:20 pm
AlbertoC wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:42 pm
Early August.
Thanks @AlbertoC, that was quick :D . Knowing I might be tempting fate here, any idea on the release date or a closed/open beta or even an early access?
That's top secret :D
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

Please make the shadows on the units OPTIONAL. I agree they look bad, even terrible and very distracting. Sorry to the Art department but it is a bad idea with the shadows. Thanks.
TJLionheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by TJLionheart »

Thank you, looks awesome. I am a big 2D guy, but your 3D is more appealing than I would have guessed, nice job.
ruskicanuk

Post by ruskicanuk »

This sounds very promising and I love that there are many similar themes to Order of Battle which is a superb game which could use a homecoming.

The "additions" like aircraft returning to base making bases more interesting sounds quite nice in theory, hopefully you can pull it off

Putting this one on the "purchase before it goes on sale" list, good stuff guys
koopanique
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by koopanique »

From what I can gather this looks promising indeed.

I like the announced changes in air warfare - planes returning to their airfield at the beginning of every turn makes a lot of sense!

I love the terrain graphics. I think different terrain hexes are easily distinguishable.

Unit counters below the units could be bigger/more visible though.

For naval warfare, having ship orientation play a role is weird to me. PC is an operational game; such near-the-ground tactical decisions should not come into play, I would think. A turn in the game is generally equal to a whole day, after all. Such decisions fit an RTS better than a more abstract turn-based operational-level strategy game like PC. (Hence why I dislike artillery guns having to cool down in Order of Battle).

Other than that, keep up the good work! And do not let your playerbase without info for so long next time :]

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”